Overheated for the first time since new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald

A starter rebuild guy could replace the brushes and turn the armature on a lathe.

N7Quarian got this far well enough. At this point I don't doubt for a second he could throw a set of brushes in there easily enough and get a couple few more years out of it before having to open it up again.

UPDATE: I bought a new fan and put it in, it spins faster than the old one and of course, the fuse does not get hot, the only problem is no headlights. I forgot to buy a new fuse so tomorrow I have to buy a couple.

And as for river crossings, I'll just take the fuse out before crossing and let the motor dry before putting it back in.

I had to take the radiator out to get the fan out. I will flip a [censored] gourd if I have to do this again soon.

Last edited:
The question remains as to why the brushes are so worn. Was the water clean or mud? Maybe the fan was on its way out due to use. I cannot see getting the motor wet causing the brushes to hear out unless it was done many times and there was grit in the water.

Having said that whether or not you pull the fuse its not good to allow the motor to get submerged. You have bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back