Overfilled Transmission - 1996 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly overfilled the Tranny on a 1996 Camry when changing the ATF recently -- used Chevron Supreme ATF -- dipstick reads about .24 inch above HOT level - am I going to do serious harm to my Tranny with this?

I did the same thing you did, I loosened the drain plug and let it drain out slowly until I though it was about right. Then checked and reched.

I dunno, but it bothered me enough to drain the extra out.

Did you drain and fill the differential as well?

I couldn't get the Diff fill plug out -- wouldn't budge and I didn't want to strip it -- THANK YOU TOYOTA MOTORS for screwing it on so tight.

If you are overfilled that amount when the fluid is hot I would not be concerned. That is miniscule.

As to the diff change out. Don't worry too much, other then getting out an extra quart or so of fluid and cleaning the magnet on the drain plug, (my Camry diff plug is a magnet, tranny is not)it does not make much diff. The fluid does mix, and perhaps another drain and fill in 20,000 miles would make you feel better. Also, don't pull the drain plug until you are sure that you can get the fill plug off first on the diff. I measure my tranny fluid after it has drained because as many times as I have done this I always get a different amount of fluid out and I simply replace it with that amount of new fluid. Not measuring (unlike oil which is consistent as to how much is drained out) creates the potential overfill issue.

Always check the fluid hot after you have a shop do it because they rarely have the time or desire to drive the car 10 miles, heat the fluid up and check it. They go by the word "Assume" it is okay

Someone pointed something interesting to me. Now the Toyota ATF is checked with the engine idling but the Honda procedure is to check with the engine OFF. Makes me wonder does it matter as long as the car is up to operating temperature?

Proves nothing more than each of the two manufacturers you noted calibrated their dipsticks to different check procedures. Use the procedure that your car's owner's manual specifies.

quote:

Originally posted by m2pc:
Someone pointed something interesting to me. Now the Toyota ATF is checked with the engine idling but the Honda procedure is to check with the engine OFF. Makes me wonder does it matter as long as the car is up to operating temperature?

Absolutely does make a difference.! If I shut down the engine when hot and take a reading it will show significantly "overfilled" but fine when engine running.

Yup,

I guess its how the manufacturer calibrated their checks. Wonder which way is more accurate though. For the engine running, its sometimes hard to get a consistant level. Maybe its a more accurate reading than the engine off, but with the engine off, maybe it provides a more consistant reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back