Overfilled engine oil. How much is to much?

Okay I travel travel with my job and today I got service out of town at Ford dealership I've never been to.
Mad as a hornet!
First thing is first. My vehicle specs 5W-20 oil as an alternative I can use 0W-20 oil. I requested to the dealership that I wanted 0W-20 full synthetic. No problem. They didn't have it in bulk so they charged me for 5 individual quarts.
The mechanic put all five quarts in the vehicle It's a small EcoBoost engine in only holds 4.3 quarts 4.5 with filter change. I'm only saying I assume we put all five quarts in because it is significantly over the full mark.
what caught my attention and why I'm mad as hell is because I had a service this afternoon Just sitting A couple of hours after having it done I noticed an oil spot underneath my vehicle. The oil drain plug was dripping oil and it was only finger tightened.
Also while it was in for service the dealer told me that I should consider a engine coolant flush because the coolant was dirty. Less than 4 months ago just after Thanksgiving I was home and I had coolant flushed at around 75,000mi. It's nice bright shiny orange.

I'd raise hell to dealership but good chance I'll never be back there again anyways.

Good think I work construction trade and had tools to correct the drain plug issue

Sounds like an all around bad trip to the dealer. If only 1/2 qt there should be no problem…but how far UP on the dipstick is it?

They May have pumped a bunch of bulk oil in there. They are a pretty shady outfit! You “chose” synthetic…sure you got it?

If it’s up to 1/4”over the max it will be fine. You can typically overfill a little bit without any major issues. There’s always a margin of error/safety built in. As long as it’s not 1-2 quarts + overfilled.

If you want a more sure way, let the engine idle for 5-10 mins, check the dipstick. If it’s not bubbly/foamy you’re fine.

I originally joined this forum years ago because I had a 2000 Isuzu trooper that burned oil like a mofo. We’re taking 1 quart every 100-200 miles. I would regularly put 1 quart extra in it especially on road trips so I could get down the road further before having to stop. 😆 Definitely better to be over the full line than to be under the minimum line

It's about a half inch up above the full mark. Which is probably about exactly half a quart. I think on the dipstick the range between high and low mark is 8/10 of a quart.

and you are right I didn't see them so who knows what oil they actually put in it.

If it’s up to 1/4”over the max it will be fine. You can typically overfill a little bit without any major issues. There’s always a margin of error/safety built in. As long as it’s not 1-2 quarts + overfilled.

If you want a more sure way, let the engine idle for 5-20 mins, check the dipstick. If it’s not bubbly/foamy you’re fine.
From the time I left the dealership and got home it was about a half hour drive because I made another stop. checking the dipstick here in the driveway I don't see foaming or anything.
I guess I'll check it again tomorrow when I return home from work.

I'm absolutely meticulous with maintenance. I do nuclear powerplant maintenance. Always torquing every nut and bolt. Traveling for work it's hard to service my own vehicle at times.
I dont drive an expensive vehicle because I drive way above average miles.
I just want it serviced property and expect to last a very long time.
Every once in a while I seem to run into a situation like this.

What happens at my dealership if a drain plug is left loose is they send the company tow truck to its location and bring out a free rental vehicle for the customer to drive. I would hope this dealer would do the same. Just call them and tell them it’s loose. The minimum they should do is send someone to tighten it. If only overfilled by half a quart I wouldn’t be too worried about it.

If you're out of town, you could have picked up the oil and filter of your choice at any parts store or Walmart, and gone to a corner gas station for the change. Much cheaper and better service.
You know one thing I went to the dealership for today and I think they did get that right is I wanted a tire rotation Last time I changed the oil it did not get done. I had a slight shimmy and I thought it was the tire They rotated them around and that shimmy is gone. At least they got that right.
The tire rotation is part of the Ford works package.

Makes me feel better knowing it's probably fine.
I do look under the hood routinely after any service. I've found rags and and ratchet laying under the hood before.
This was the first time ever that I caught it thatl the drain plug hadn't been tightened.
Usually it's the opposite. Usually so tight I'm afraid of snapping iit off at next oil change.

You caught it and fixed the problem, others may not have. Good job!
Many think taking a car to their dealership for service is better, but the top end techs are not doing oil change services.
And, anyone can make a mistake.

I would bet money it doesn't hurt anything at all and overall is beneficial. I always put the full 5 in, especially a car that doesn't get regular oil checks. You're not going to get windage from that little bit extra.

Makes for a better UOA too if you don't have to account for makeup oil.

I'm absolutely meticulous with maintenance. I do nuclear powerplant maintenance. Always torquing every nut and bolt. Traveling for work it's hard to service my own vehicle at times.
I dont drive an expensive vehicle because I drive way above average miles.
I just want it serviced property and expect to last a very long time.
Every once in a while I seem to run into a situation like this.
honestly, just like there is a driver shortage, there is a mechanic shortage... so dealers tend to offer lube tech jobs to guys who used to wash cars and such at the dealer, hoping they can train one to a higher level.. but that is a hit and miss proposition... and sometimes customers are going to run into them and their lack of skills.

really the only reliable way to know how much oil is too much oil would be to pull the oil pan and see how far down into the sump that oil dipstick travels and to compare it to the lowest point on the crankshaft throws when they are at BDC. Other than that it would be a guess but if the oil isn't getting aerated you are probably good to go.

When I had my 16 f150 with the 5.0 it called for something like 7.7 quarts of oil. I always just put 8 in and it was never about the the full line.
Speaking of bad dealership oil changes, I had a VW Passat for a few years. The first two oil changes were on VW. The factory fill was so clear I couldn’t even see it on the dip stick. The next two I could clearly see on the dip stick. The third oil change I did myself and the oil on the dip stick was barely noticeable it was so clear. Made me wonder if the dealer even drained all the oil out, or maybe they just put something else in it.

Had a friend yrs ago blew up his 1971 (I recollect) Olds 442 engine (don't remember exactly what went first) I remember he overfilled it by several quarts, Car was absolutely mint, lol.

Charged me $97 for a Ford works oil change because I went above and beyond and choose full synthetic oil.
My issue at GMC was I too paid above and beyond and they used the synthetic blend, not Mobil 1, and I caught them. After 3 oil changes paying for Mobil 1. They eventually apologized and offered me a free oil change--huh? We robbed you 3X, let us make it up to you by doing the same job?

Anyway, good you caught it, and I would prefer the oil is not overfilled. If it's above full on the dipstick, I would drain some out. I heard that the air whips it all up and it protects less when overfilled.

Imagine in 2007 some BMW dealers charged $130 in richey rich areas like Greenwich CT, but at my dealer they gave me $69.95, and there was a dealer in Bloomfield NJ in 2014 who did $54.95, which is less than what it would have cost to order the oil and filter online. My point is this is one of those $4.99 dominos large 1-topping pizza deals--they can charge anything they want and it's still profitable.

Back