Overfilled coolant holding tank, should i remove some?

So as most of you know I just can't let things "be", my coolant was not at the full mark - it was literally fine and in normal range of holding tank, but the OCD kicked in so I decided to add some OEM hyundai coolant to the holding tank.. Long story short I couldn't see how much I was adding, and it felt like i was adding alot, and well apparently did because i filled it up to the rim of the holding tank.. It's literally double of what it should be... and i cant remove any from holding tank because of like a baffle in the opening, so as i stand now, its to the brim with coolant. What should i do here? haha.. Drain it out via the bottom or something? drain out some of the radiator and then let the system equal out? Sorry for such a noob question, i just dont want to blow the tank, radiator or screw up the cooling system or anything else.

This is on the Kia BTW.... Pictures attached. As you can see, the baffle in the opening, and the normal range is in the middle of this holding tank, and as it stands now, its literally filled to the very top.. :rolleyes:
Thank you.... maybe i should hang up my wrenches if i keep doing things like this.
IMG_0334.jpeg
IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0333.jpeg

Not necessary at all unless you are worried that it might spill on your garage or parking spot once the outside temperatures are in 100F :)
Thanks so i should just let it be? Not too worried about spilling any (Gravel driveway lol) I'm just more worried about blowing the motor or something with the cooling system.. lol, and it would be completely my fault.

nope; zero chance of blowing the motor; I mean the worst that could happen is the extra coolant will find its way outside that holding tank. The reservoir tank is NOT sealed or holding any pressure. The pressurized system contains radiator and the tank acts a buffer to save excess coolant and replenish it back to the radiator under vacuum.

If you spend some time on the tank cap, you will notice there is no gasket etc on it. The tank is NOT part of the closed system.

You need to find other things to worry about. We can help you :)

nope; zero chance of blowing the motor; I mean the worst that could happen is the extra coolant will find its way outside that holding tank. The reservoir tank is NOT sealed or holding any pressure. The pressurized system contains radiator and the tank acts a buffer to save excess coolant and replenish it back to the radiator under vacuum.

If you spend some time on the tank cap, you will notice there is no gasket etc on it. The tank is NOT part of the closed system.

You need to find other things to worry about. We can help you :)
Honestly did not know that, i thought it was a full pressure holding tank, and too much coolant would add to much pressure and blow something lol..

Yeah i kinda agree, get myself all worked up when I do things like this. I start even questioning my sanity because a "normal" person would never obsess over a quarter of an inch fluid level lol. I really should of never touched it, as the coolant was in the correct "range". I just wanted it to be "full".... Might take you up on the offer for a little help lol.

Id be more worried about that dodgy looking rusted spring hose clamp and slightly bulging hose than the coolant.
worse case scenario next summer an ounce or 2 escapes the overflow bottle.
The pictures amplify the color of the rust - they don't look nearly that bad in person, and i agree, the hoses and clamps are original, so its on my "to do" list for this year...

EDIT: since we are talking about the cooling system and the hose, should I stick with OEM or go with a premium aftermarket hose and OEM clamps, or the screw type?..

EDIT2: I will probably leave the coolant as is then, and since its not under pressure or anything, (thanks for that info there) im not going to touch it right now.

Last edited:
You won't last two days, you might sleep ok tonight but tomorrow night your OCD will kick in and you'll be up all night trying to figure how to get the level back where is should be, oh wait a minute, that might be what would happen to me.

You won't last two days, you might sleep ok tonight but tomorrow night your OCD will kick in and you'll be up all night trying to figure how to get the level back where is should be, oh wait a minute, that might be what would happen to me.
Honestly you're probably right. No actually you are right. I really with all my will power dont want to mess with it, but more time that passes, i dont think i can just not touch it.. It really does bother me more then it should that i know its wayyy overfilled,(by me!!) and not factory spec level... I have to look at it again and see how i can drain some out...

modern hoses are near "lifetime" I'd leave it alone unless its leaking.

spring clamps only and I like oem hoses but many good options there.

Honestly did not know that, i thought it was a full pressure holding tank, and too much coolant would add to much pressure and blow something lol..

Yeah i kinda agree, get myself all worked up when I do things like this. I start even questioning my sanity because a "normal" person would never obsess over a quarter of an inch fluid level lol. I really should of never touched it, as the coolant was in the correct "range". I just wanted it to be "full".... Might take you up on the offer for a little help lol.
Some systems have the radiator cap on the overflow tank and that tank holds pressure. They call that an expansion tank. https://blog.championcooling.com/2018/06/08/overflow-tank-vs-expansion-tank/

The radiator cap serves the purpose you're worried about. The cap lets out coolant to avoid too much pressure blowing things up.

UPDATE time already. I brainstormed and came up with a brilliant idea lol. I use the spray bottle mechanism, put the little tube inside of the holding tank and sprayed in to a holding bottle the extra coolant, which in turn sucked up the fluid out of the tank. Fluid level is now perfect. :-D

Honestly you're probably right. No actually you are right. I really with all my will power dont want to mess with it, but more time that passes, i dont think i can just not touch it.. It really does bother me more then it should that i know its wayyy overfilled,(by me!!) and not factory spec level... I have to look at it again and see how i can drain some out...
You can try a hose on the end of a turkey baster. Good luck.

You can try a hose on the end of a turkey baster. Good luck.
Thank you! see reply, it's basically the same idea that you had. i sucked out the extra fluid, and its now right on the full mark.

UPDATE time already. I brainstormed and came up with a brilliant idea lol. I use the spray bottle mechanism, put the little tube inside of the holding tank and sprayed in to a holding bottle the extra coolant, which in turn sucked up the fluid out of the tank. Fluid level is now perfect. :-D

Thanks so i should just let it be? Not too worried about spilling any (Gravel driveway lol) I'm just more worried about blowing the motor or something with the cooling system.. lol, and it would be completely my fault.
If you have pets (Cats-Dogs) I'd remove it just so that no pet be in danger, but in terms of mechanical problems, none as others have said, it will spill once under pressure if more than the container can hold.

What was the content of the original spray bottle? I will hold off my comments until you reveal that information. You could have bought more trouble.

What was the content of the original spray bottle? I will hold off my comments until you reveal that information. You could have bought more trouble.
Oh it was a new bottle and sprayer, i have a few of them for like windex and things of the sort. I by the gallon plus size cleaners / chemicals and then put them in the spray containers. I'm very strict and keep everything separated with no cross-contamination.

If you have pets (Cats-Dogs) I'd remove it just so that no pet be in danger, but in terms of mechanical problems, none as others have said, it will spill once under pressure if more than the container can hold.
you are correct, also thought of that, and I do not want to really let it spill out onto the ground if it got hot or something and then have wild life or our kitty get sick. So between that and then me obsessing over it I went out and put it to the correct level.

Oh it was a new bottle and sprayer, i have a few of them for like windex and things of the sort. I by the gallon plus size cleaners / chemicals and then put them in the spray containers. I'm very strict and keep everything separated with no cross-contamination.
That is too bad! I really wanted to yank your chain if you had used spray from say Windex or something like that :)
Once again, even with a used spray which was rinsed in water would have been fine but I would have scared you just for fun.

Back