Over 25 Vehicles and Never Had to Top Off

My now gone 2005 buick lasabre drank or burned one quart before the old 3000 mile oci,,,,but my existing 2010 F150 never loses a drop and the oil always looks clean,,never gets black,,,how does that happen, it is amazing..
What oil are you running in the F150?
I remember back in the day when synthetic oil was actually full synthetic (before the mobile/Castrol dispute) I ran mobile 1 in my 97 4Runner and it seemed to never get dirty. I still run mobile 1 and notice it gets dark much faster than back then. With the 4 runner I would go 6/7000 miles cause it just looked so good. Now I stick to 3,000 and at that point it’s already starting to darken. Still not black but would be if I went to 5,000. It’s like they use less of the group 4/5 ingredients and it doesn’t hold up as long. I always liked synthetic because it seems to stay cleaner longer.

What oil are you running in the F150?
I remember back in the day when synthetic oil was actually full synthetic (before the mobile/Castrol dispute) I ran mobile 1 in my 97 4Runner and it seemed to never get dirty. I still run mobile 1 and notice it gets dark much faster than back then. With the 4 runner I would go 6/7000 miles cause it just looked so good. Now I stick to 3,000 and at that point it’s already starting to darken. Still not black but would be if I went to 5,000. It’s like they use less of the group 4/5 ingredients and it doesn’t hold up as long. I always liked synthetic because it seems to stay cleaner longer.
I was a Mobil1 user since 1976. Around 2010 to 2012 they must have changed their formula and I noticed. I made a change to another motor oil and haven't used Mobil1 since.

I've owned multiple Hondas, multiple Toyotas, Acura, Audi, Volvo, Lexus, and Subaru since 1996 and never had to add oil during an OCI. I may have gone from the top of the hash to the middle of the hash during that time, maybe a few times, but that's it.

The Fuelly guys will tell you your better off toward the add mark than full.
*Interesting to note that with the Hyundai 2.4L engine issues they developed a new dip stick (from yellow to now orange) which is 1/2 qrt. higher capacity for the "F" mark than the previous dipstick . I moved up to 5W30 synthetic with this engine and try to keep it at the "F" mark on the dipstick... Hyundai probably did thiss as a result of buyers having "poor engine check oil hygiene" for their 2.4L engine vehicles .

I am of the school that if it is broken in correctly it won't use oil. When I rebuilt my own engines or in my company cars, I would run them hard when new. Get the rings hot and they will seat. None have ever been oil burners.

My last truck a F150 burned a quart every 1,000 miles but the valve seals and guides was the problem not the rings. My current truck a C1500 doesn't burn or leak oil it stays right on the full mark even after 5000 miles and it has over 270,000 on it.

Not once have I ever had to top off the oil in any of these vehicles. A few of them have been right on the low end of the dipstick when it came time for an oil change, but they were still in the good range. It's not like I was changing every 3K miles either. Many of these vehicles, especially the fleet ones, go for well over 7K miles with the newer Fords going 10K to 12K miles between changes.

Reading around this place, it seems like there are some people that no matter what they do, every vehicle they ever own needs to be topped off at some point. Am I just really lucky or is topping off not as common anymore as it may seem to be reading around here?
My experience is like yours.

My stuff(see my signature)doesn't need any makeup oil between changes. I do 10k+ mile oil changes.

My experience has been "when carburetors went away, oil consumption went away."

Back