Over 150 million copies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to AutoX with a systems engineer for SGI years ago. Since I've stopped that habit, I mean hobby, I've lost touch.

Everytime I see an SVT Contour (we both had them) I wonder how he's doing.

/End ThreadJack

I think Vista is OK. I have it here at the office.

I think 7 is OK, I have the deluxe version at Home.

I think XP is better than both of its successors.

Originally Posted By: XS650
I called HP and their suggestion was that I buy a new computer, so I bought my wife a Mac.
grin2.gif

LOL. I've thought of doing that a bunch of times, but I'm cheap and Apple stuff is not.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Stop waiting for everyone else to engineer drivers for you so you can use an OS you clearly do not understand nor like. Linux-based OS's are a community effort much more than a "product". You want a driver? *Make one* Can't make one? *Use Windows*.

I normally find that comment from Linux zealots condescending and annoying, but in this thread,
11.gif

I think it's the first time I haven't been on the *receiving* end of it! I learned very early on that you gots to research your hardware purchases carefully.

One of the folks for whom I admin a Debian system just up and went out and bought a Microsoft-branded web cam. Luckily, it worked out of the box, but I have to say over and over and over again to people that they just can't go buy any hardware from a CompUSA flyer and expect it to work like it would with Windows. "You know all that time you *don't* spend worrying about viruses and security and crashing and defragging and updating and patching and heaven-knows-what?", I ask them "Some of that time needs to be spent confirming your hardware purchases with me."

Win 7 should be good though, look at how long and expensive the Win 7 beta trials were (Vista)

Oh, snap!

Bleep HP.

I woulda said the same thing in your situation re: Windows drivers. HP, though, has *great* Linux support, and I try to patronize their products over other manufacturers when all other things are equal.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I used MAGIC on a BSD machine years ago

http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Classes/IcBook/magic/index.html

I used IRIX years ago on an SGI box, LOL. I still have a real soft spot for SGI.

I remember vaguely using some Discreet branded video editors and compositing apps on an Onyx or Onyx2 in the late 90's. It was just before their failed experiment with lower-cost WinNT/ i386 systems. The best endorsement I can give to IRIX is that it was entirely unremarkable: I didn't ever know I was "using" it (unless I was pointing out how ugly it was).

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I used MAGIC on a BSD machine years ago

http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Classes/IcBook/magic/index.html

I used IRIX years ago on an SGI box, LOL. I still have a real soft spot for SGI.

I remember vaguely using some Discreet branded video editors and compositing apps on an Onyx or Onyx2 in the late 90's. It was just before their failed experiment with lower-cost WinNT/ i386 systems. The best endorsement I can give to IRIX is that it was entirely unremarkable: I didn't ever know I was "using" it (unless I was pointing out how ugly it was).

That's why I miss it *sniff*

I was using an O2.

I've LOVE to be a Linux shill ... but Ubuntu consistently is a pain in the apples. Skype sound not working, GIGANTIC song and dance to get my Brother multifunction printer to work, half-baked software (Picasa et al) oddball incantations needed to mount drives. And I'm a technical hack too ... so not a chance in hades I'm going to recommend this to anyone.

People just want their [censored] computers to work.

So impressed in fact that it replaced Slackware on my main PC as the primary OS. Yes, I'm typing this in Windows 7.

That statement just withered the tape on the glasses of 100 million Linux users...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: NJC
So impressed in fact that it replaced Slackware on my main PC as the primary OS. Yes, I'm typing this in Windows 7.

That statement just withered the tape on the glasses of 100 million Linux users...
grin2.gif

100 million?!?!?!?! You mean "dozens".

A quick calc says if 12% of the planet has a computer, and 3% of those use Linux, that's ~22 million. how about dozens of millions??
21.gif
11.gif

A quick calc says if 12% of the planet has a computer, and 3% of those use Linux, that's ~22 million. how about dozens of millions??
21.gif
11.gif

I guess I meant "dozens" of Slackware users. If you count routers and cell phones and POS terminals, there *are* hundreds of millions that use Linux, I suppose!

By the by, how do you figure 3% desktop usage worldwide? My understanding is that it's been hovering around 1% for a few years.

Originally Posted By: daman
How much $ is 7?

I got Win 7 Ultimate for $20 being a college student. Upgraded my Vista computer (did a fresh install, actually). Also did an upgrade of our new Win 7 Home laptop to Ultimate. Impressed so far.

I think for "regular folks" an upgrade to Win 7 Home is $100. Professional is $200, and Ultimatae is $300. To gt the full versions (not just upgrade CDs) add $100 to each. I haven't looked at the prices actually, but based on what Microsoft has sold things for in the past I'd guess these are their prices.

To make software work with older HP laptops, don't ask HP for help, they are there to sell you new equipment. The help there is awful, some of the dumbest dolts you'll ever see read scripted material. I swear they have teleprompters.
lol.gif

The trick to making older HP's work is to drivers from other manufacturers that use the same pieces/parts, then download those drivers. Takes time to find what you're looking for, but it's out there. After all, there's nothing magical about HP, they put the same low-level parts in their equipment that Apple does. Yes, Apple.

late '08 Macbook, put Windows 2008 R2 server on it, went to device manager...lo & behold...same exact stuff in a consumer-grade Dell, HP, Toshiba. Move on nothing new to see here. Except the cost.

Remember, Apple is there to sell sell sell, too.

The thing that drives me nuts about Vista was how Microsoft claimed all the millions of Vista licenses sold. That's because as corporate customers, you couldn't buy XP! You HAD to purchase Vista, then downgrade.

With Win7 sales figures, that's totally different. People are buying Win7 and using it, very few requests for XP once they see Win7 in action. In fact, few requests for Macs or other devices once they see Win7.

Microsoft hit the home run they needed to all along.

I'm about 1/3 Win7 now, & ave only setup a single Windows XP instance (today, actually) for a VM for a guy with a Mac, since the Gold discs were released back last August.

Now, let's hope Windows 8 holds the same quality (at least) so we don't have the same problem we had with XP: it brought little to nothing to the table that Windows 2000 didn't already possess.

I've LOVE to be a Linux shill ... but Ubuntu consistently is a pain in the apples. Skype sound not working, GIGANTIC song and dance to get my Brother multifunction printer to work, half-baked software (Picasa et al) oddball incantations needed to mount drives. And I'm a technical hack too ... so not a chance in hades I'm going to recommend this to anyone.

Skype has had a couple issues; some was due to some sound daemon issues. Much of that has been solved.

I had thought Brother was pretty good with Linux, but I never really researched it, since I don't own one - I went HP. As for mounting drives, that's child's play! No incantations!
wink.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1826838

Quote:

I was absolutely blown away. It does everything I need to do with a computer, with aplomb. The installation was easy, and configuring it was a snap with no help or how-to guides needed. The tools and applications that come with it are also amazing. Everything about this OS seems to be better than Windows. And the best part is, it's free, and so are the applications I want.

Apparently Ubuntu is "in the circle" with this user.

Last edited:
I've been running W7 since the beta stage and I pretty much skipped over Vista as the few experiences I've had with Vista was less than stellar.

I am very happy with W7 with the only exception being that even in Compatibility mode, I can't seem to run some of my nursing applications in W7. It's a PITA, but I have to run them in VMware with Windows XP.

People just want their [censored] computers to work.

Wow, somebody actually tells it like it is! This is how I used to feel waiting for drivers for printers and scanners so that I could switch to Linux! And yes even in enterprise people still use printers and scanners. Where I work we still use printers and scanners.

And I agree with the statement above made by another person that Apple is overpriced. Take an Apple Computer apart and underneath the fancy exterior there are pretty much the same interior parts you can find in any computer.

One thing that does surprise me is that I heard Microsoft may come out with another new operating system in 2011! With Windows 7 so successful I think if I was them I would hold off with any new O/Ss until Windows 7 has sold several hundreds of millions of copies. Unless the new O/S is so fantastic that they just have to introduce it.

But I am convinced that Windows 7 is a very good O/S. I know this from my own personal experience. I know this because where I work IT is talking about a move to Windows 7-they skipped over Vista. I know this because even some of the Microsoft haters here admit that Windows 7 is good. I know this because Windows 7 is selling so well. Microsoft really has hit a home run.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
One thing that does surprise me is that I heard Microsoft may come out with another new operating system in 2011! With Windows 7 so successful I think if I was them I would hold off with any new O/Ss until Windows 7 has sold several hundreds of millions of copies. Unless the new O/S is so fantastic that they just have to introduce it.

I am not sure why I have this stuck in my head, but barring the very long wait for something to follow WinXP, I was/ am under the impression that Apple and Microsoft both tend to aim for 18 months or so between major updates or upgrades; "major" being defined as an upgrade that you have to pay for. Perusing these two Wikipedia pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X#Versions

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Microsoft_Windows

... indicate that both for-profit OS's tend to be released every year or two or *thereabouts*. Maybe it's part of keeping people on the upgrade treadmill; maybe it's about keeping abreast of new technologies and trends.

In the Linux world, Debian tends to release stable releases every two years or so as well, with others like Ubuntu and Fedora sticking to timed, 6-month release cycles.

And I agree with the statement above made by another person that Apple is overpriced. Take an Apple Computer apart and underneath the fancy exterior there are pretty much the same interior parts you can find in any computer.

Apple is a brand. They sell "hip" and "cool". It's not overpriced if you can convince people to pay for it!

This is how I used to feel waiting for drivers for printers and scanners so that I could switch to Linux!

*STOP WAITING*. For a guy who extolls the virtues of Windows so much, you seem to mention time and time and time and time and time again how you keep waiting to switch to "Linux" (as though Linux is an OS - *It isn't*). *Don't switch*, just use what you like now and let's all remain deliriously happy.

Wow, somebody actually tells it like it is!

There is no "telling it like it is" when you're expressing opinions and recounting experiences, Mystic. Again, for Pete's sake, just don't use it if you don't like it! You do not need to label those experiences that mirror your own as "truth" and all others as "fallacy". The Debian systems I use and admin perform flawlessly and I am supremely happy with it; that is also "how it is".

How long has Windows XP been around? A very long time! If an O/S is very successful it might stay around a while. And usually Microsoft will come out with free service packs. Apple was coming out with a new version of Mac OS X about every year or two.

Anyway, I am glad you are happy with Linux! Let me tell you what I really believe. I believe that computer software and hardware is TECHNOLOGY! I was a fairly diehard Apple guy for a long time, although not fanatical like some of these people. I don't believe in blind loyalty to ANY O/S or corporation. Right now I personally feel Microsoft Windows 7 is the best O/S for a desktop computer. But there is no telling what will happen in the future.

At some time in the future maybe the Linux people will get their act together and come out with a version of Linux that puts Windows 7 to shame. Although I will believe that when I see it. Who knows what will happen five or ten or twenty years down the road?

Most people are going to use what works. What is the most reasonable in price and what enables them to get their work done. Few people are going to want to have to sweat blood with their computer and O/S to get it to work. They will buy whatever O/S from whatever company that gets it right. In the end it does not matter if that company is Microsoft, Apple, Sun, or some new company that comes along a few years in the future.

It is probably very unlikely that Microsoft will still be selling computer O/Ss 300 years in the future. Although maybe they will be-who knows. 300 years from now we will probably be talking to our computers like in Star Trek. That is assuming the human race will even exist 300 years from now. The way things are going I sort of doubt it.

Anyway, if a person remembers all of this computer software and hardware is just TECHNOLOGY all of the silly hatred for certain corporations and certain individuals just melts away. If you don't like Steve Jobs don't worry-I don't think he will still be the CEO of Apple 100 years from now. Heck, Bill Gates already is no longer the CEO of Microsoft! If you don't like Microsoft that corporation will probably be gone someday.

In the end the technology keeps advancing, regardless what individuals or corporations are involved, and we all want the best technology for the least amount of cost-nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back