Outdoor cat...advice?

Have a cat that spends all it's time outside but likes to be inside at night, sleeps on the lounge chair and loves to cuddle with whoever is in her chair watching TV.
IMG_0954.JPG

ALL cats are outdoors 🐈‍⬛. Make sure you don’t fix them. Of all the tame animals, they’re not.
You definitely want to fix them, unless you like litters of kittens to deal with, females in heat screaming their heads off, more fights, etc. There are plenty of feral cats as it is.

I don't know how I feel about making a domestic born kitten an outdoor cat. Ideally you want to keep them from the street life. A cat that is already used to it is different, but introducing a cat to it seems unnecessary. Once a cat is outdoors, they usually won't do indoor only anymore, but it doesn't mean it's good for them.

Are there already feral cats around your house? Do you have outside cameras? If you don't have cameras, you may want to get Blink or something. You'll see what animals are already in your yard. I have four regular visitor cats.

As to the poop question, cats are very tidy and I haven't come across errant cat poop outside anywhere I've lived with cats. That's a dog thing. If you have an outdoor cat, plan on fleas.

Last edited:
You definitely want to fix them, unless you like litters of kittens to deal with, females in heat screaming their heads off, more fights, etc. There are plenty of feral cats as it is.

I don't know how I feel about making a domestic born kitten an outdoor cat. Ideally you want to keep them from the street life. A cat that is already used to it is different, but introducing a cat to it seems unnecessary. Once a cat is outdoors, they usually won't do indoor only anymore, but it doesn't mean it's good for them.

Are there already feral cats around your house? Do you have outside cameras? If you don't have cameras, you may want to get Blink or something. You'll see what animals are already in your yard. I have four regular visitor cats.

I agree with this post, it seems pretty cruel to take a domesticated cat and turn it into an outdoor cat. I don't think it would survive.

If you have strays around the house you feed, that's a different story. I would try and work with the local animal control to catch them so they can be spayed or neutered.

I agree with this post, it seems pretty cruel to take a domesticated cat and turn it into an outdoor cat. I don't think it would survive.

If you have strays around the house you feed, that's a different story. I would try and work with the local animal control to catch them so they can be spayed or neutered.
In many areas there are resources for "Trap Neuter Release" where existing strays get fixed and released back where they were trapped. This reduces overpopulation, doesn't kill the cats, and keeps the cats in their familiar environment. You can always "adopt" a stray if you're looking for an outdoor cat, in the suburban US they are already there.

I've never had an inside or outside cat, it's always both...they have a cat door. My cat sometimes never seems to go outside, sometimes she never seems to come inside, but obviously she does and I don't notice. Cats are all about territory, and outside it's a big thing to sort out...they mark everywhere with their scent. If someone doesn't get the message, a more blatant deposit will be left.

If you want an outdoor cat, call your local animal shelter and ask if they have any barn cats. These are usually feral and un-adoptable unless you let them live outside.

They are also free of charge, no adoption fee, most of the time, and come fixed and immunized...

A friend of mine has 400 acres and 17 barn cats...

I watched the Dr. Oz show and remember him saying something on cats so I googled it.

I think in the past he’s mentioned a dog or two that live indoors. A cat living 100% outdoors in FL(or anywhere) is far from ideal and should be avoided.

The cats won't last (as) long outside. They also can be a menace.

My screens in home got destroyed by an "outdoor" nieghbors cat terrorizing my indoor cats in window. Thankfully the cat disappeared but at same time was sweet nice cat.

Back