Outback 3.6r oil filter psi question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just purchased a new to me 2011 Outback 3.6r. I plan on doing an oil change soon and I'm confused on what oil filter to get. I know the 2.5 engines need a filter with a 23psi bypass and that besides the stock suby fitler only wix makes one that meets those specs.
When I look on the Wix website it lists a different filter for the 3.6 engine with a bypass valve psi of 8-11, around the same psi when I looked on Frams website.
Im wondering if anyone knows if the 3.6 engine specs the same high psi bypass valve as the 2.5's do, or if they require a more normal bypass psi.

The high bypass is only a turbo/motorsport issue AFAIK. Ive owned seven subari over the years including, on each end of the scale an SVX 6er and a Justy 3 pot. Will the FB filter (tokyo Roki ...130) fit? Nice unit.

img_6560.jpg

Last edited:
Purolator has made Subaru-specific filters with the correct bypass setting for years. I believe anything Champ Labs (STP/K&N/SuperTech/AC Delco/etc) made for Subarus did also.

That said, Puro's application finder for your car lists the 14459 (a common Honda filter) which does not have a high bypass setting. I would assume the 3.6 doesn't need it.

By-pass valve opening pressure kPa (kgf/cm2, psi) 160 (1.63, 23.2). Save yourself the headache and buy the Tokyo Roki filters

It's not an issue except on the internet. Filter manufacturers are fully aware of the requirement by Subaru. Fram Ultra would be a good choice and have no worries about the bypass spec. Thousands of subies run on normal oil filters without any thought to the bypass spec and I've never heard of any catastrophy from not running the high bypass spec filter.

There are better things to worry about in life than waste your time on this detail.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
There are better things to worry about in life than waste your time on this detail.

Hello. You must be new here. Wasting time worrying about details is what most folks on here do best!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Hello. You must be new here. Wasting time worrying about details is what most folks on here do best!
wink.gif

+1!

It does matter. Run a filter with the correct spec. I prefer the Wix and Napa Gold 57055. That is what I run on my FB25.

It's not an issue except on the internet. Filter manufacturers are fully aware of the requirement by Subaru. Fram Ultra would be a good choice and have no worries about the bypass spec. Thousands of subies run on normal oil filters without any thought to the bypass spec and I've never heard of any catastrophy from not running the high bypass spec filter.

If a filter manufacturer specifies a filter for a Subaru which has a bypass valve spec way less than 23 PSI, then I'm thinking their Engineering Dept must have verified that their bypass setting wasn't going to cause any issues on an engine were the OEM filter's bypass valve is set to 23 PSI.

A lot of where a bypass valve is set to open up is also based on the design of the oil filter. If it flows well and isn't expected to clog up much over the FCI, then the bypass valve may not have to be set all the way to 23 PSI. Maybe when Subaru set that 23 PSI bypass valve requirement, the OEM filters were pretty restrictive, and/or maybe they wanted to ensure the filter never went into bypass unless it was very clogged up with debris. I don't think anyone really knows the real reason why Subaru filters have such a high bypass valve setting.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

wink.gif

+1!

It does matter. Run a filter with the correct spec. I prefer the Wix and Napa Gold 57055. That is what I run on my FB25.

Really? Prove it because I can guarantee the filter manufacturer knows what they are doing especially if Fram days you can run the Ultra filter with the lower bypass. Whereas someone on the internet has read that the OEM filter has a high bypass rating and then automatically extrapolate that as a required spec for all oil filter brands regardless of flow performance.

Yes people worry on this site the little details but it doesnt make right especially without facts to back up why there is worry.

Again the high bypass if for the TURBO EJ engines which were suffering clogged turbo oiler banjo fitting screens running this sites prized "fake" synthetic. These Subaru pumps have the capacity to move some oil volume when it's hot and watery. NA engines - No problem with std bypass settings. I would use a big Roki if you can find 'em.
You can also PM Bluesubie this forums Subaru "master'.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like this topic is just as hotly debated as the one on the 2.5 four engines. I would like to find a few of those Roki filters but I have no clue which one would fit or how I would figure that out. As of now I will probably go with a Fram Ultra unless someone can point me in the right direction regarding the correct fitting Roki filter.

Subaru dealership or online. Part#15208AA031 and its black in color. Also, owner's can create a login on Subaru's website to record service history, check on recalls, etc. My-Subaru

Originally Posted By: K20SiGUY
Thanks for all the replies, looks like this topic is just as hotly debated as the one on the 2.5 four engines. I would like to find a few of those Roki filters but I have no clue which one would fit or how I would figure that out. As of now I will probably go with a Fram Ultra unless someone can point me in the right direction regarding the correct fitting Roki filter.

If you are the adventurous type, Go to WIX filters online and look up the filter for your car and then the 2011 forester FB ( which uses a -130, -160 Roki) and see if the gasket id and outlet thread is the same - and if your car has clearance for a larger canister.

Thank you for that part number! I ordered a 3 pack online so ill be good to go for a little while!

Originally Posted By: sxg6
It looks like the 3.6L H6 does call for an oil filter with a 23.2psi bypass valve as well.

I can't believe how much oil volume the pump puts out at 6,000 engine RPM ... 87.5 qts/min = 21.9 GPM. The oil filter spec shows a lot of media area - 201.5 sq-in.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: sxg6
It looks like the 3.6L H6 does call for an oil filter with a 23.2psi bypass valve as well.

I can't believe how much oil volume the pump puts out at 6,000 engine RPM ... 87.5 qts/min = 21.9 GPM. The oil filter spec shows a lot of media area - 201.5 sq-in.

Seems odd. Area alone doesn't specify filter performance, and we know it to vary greatly brand to brand with the same fit. Maybe they are just leaving out max pressure drop requirements at a temperature and flow rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back