Out with the old, in with the new F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having just opened my checkbook, All I can say is shop around. There are certainly some dealers here that play that type of game. Fortunately for us here, there are several dealers who don't play those games. I drove 6 F150 trucks - and the price out the door was as posted on the website. Same story on the Dodge. Same Story on the Chev. The GMC dealer was old school (and high priced to boot..)

If shopping in your area is that bad, the dealer here would love your business. They make a lot of sales that way. My salesperson had actually just sold a truck to person from Colorado and a Vette to someone in California... in the day before me. All internet driven...

We have five 2015-2016 F150's among us racing buddies.

XL Supercab Sport 4x2 2.7 EB
XL Supercab Sport 4x4 2.7 EB
XL Supercrew 6.5 Sport 4x4 5.0 V8
XLT Supercrew 5.5 302A 4x4 2.7 EB
XLT Supercrew 6.5 302A 4x4 3.5 EB

All of them $11,500 to $14,000 off MSRP including brochure rebate at five different dealers.

One truck has the steering rattle/clunk. Other than that they have been perfect.

The 5.0 4x4 is averaging 19.0 mpg.
The 2.7 4X2 is averaging 24.0 mpg.
The others are in between.
My own 2.7 4x4 is averaging 22.5 mpg (24.5 on the Lie-O-Meter)

I think Ford has a winner with these trucks.

PS Nice Truck.

Figured I would throw in the 1 year update.

If you don't want to go back to the beginning, just a few days over 1 year ago I bought a 2016 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.5 Box 4x4 with the 2.7L Ecoboost to replace a 2004 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.5 Box 4x4 with the 5.4L V8. Other options on my new truck included the 302A package, 36 gallon gas tank, FX4 package, Sport Package, Trailer Towing package, electronic locking rear axle, upgraded LT All Terrain tires (factory). I added a tonneau cover (Truxedo lopro QT), rear wheel well liners (Ford Accessory), splashguards front and rear (Ford Accessory), and all weather mats (also ford Accessory pieces), and a dualiner bed liner.

Stats to date:
Current Mileage: 15,800 miles
Average Fuel Mileage to date (computed - not the lie o meter): 19.1 MPG (Old truck in the exact same usage was at 14.2 MPG)
Repairs - warranty or not: None
Maintenance: 2 Oil Changes, both dealership done with motorcraft 5w30 and filter

All in all, I'd buy the same truck again in a heartbeat. No warranty issues or other issues to note. Sync 3 was updated and now has Android Auto which works well for the most part. Excited to get waze on that platform someday...

Fuel mileage is great for this size of vehicle (and this one is likely the heaviest configuration you can get with the 2.7). If you keep your foot out of it, it does very well. Just did a 350 mile run last weekend and averaged 23 MPG doing between 65 and 75 mph. The engine has wonderful power and will move the truck in a hurry!

Towed a boat and was loaded near payload recently. Zero issues with power and honestly was in just about every way superior to towing with the old 5.4 3V. Averaged just shy of 14 mpg on that run. You get eco or boost - not both. I expected this and for the frequency I tow, this is just fine for me. This is also similar to the MPG delivered by the 5.4 3V towing the same boat and payload.

Using Torque, I can monitor and note that the engine does take note of higher octane fuel (recommends 91 octane when towing or for additional performance) but runs just fine on regular 87 octane.

The only quibble I've had is with the dealer service on the oil changes. The first dealer (my sales dealer) did the change correctly, and took their time. The second dealer (closer to work) did not. They badly overfilled it on the first shot (discovered a few days later). You have to wait at least 15 minutes to check the oil level, preferably longer or the overfill can happen. Even Edmunds had a dealer do this to them. Fairly common to hear on the F150 boards too.

All in all, super pleased and I smile everytime I drive it. Would easily recommend one to anyone looking at a full size truck. Don't let the small displacement fool you - the 2.7 is super capable. I drove the 3.5 EB and the 2.7 EB back to back at the time and could not tell enough of a difference to warrant buying the 3.5EB (and I don't tow heavy enough to require it or the V8).

I love your line "You get eco or boost"!

That's exactly true. But after driving my friend's 2.7 F150 I was amazed. First turbo engine I ever drove without any discernible lag

Full-sized trucks are now SUV family haulers with a bed. Very rarely do you see a bare bones work truck. The need is out there for one vehicle that does everything, and the prices reflect that.

A guy at my church has a bare bones Ram work truck and it has bluetooth phone integration and a backup camera! Unpainted bumpers and steel wheels but I've ridden in it and it's pretty nice for a "work truck". The seats are very comfortable.

Insurance is higher than the last truck, but then the value of it is a lot higher too so the collision premium seems to reflect that. The liability side of things is the same. I did not check on comparing other trucks to these premiums however.

That being said, a good friend owns a body shop. Basic message was instead of repairing much of the aluminum, they will just go to a full replacement of a part instead. Cheaper that way for now.

I can't get over these small engines in full size trucks. I mean a 2.7 is tiny. Technology has allowed us to have economy and power out of these smaller motors. There is now a substitute for cubic inches...the turbo! I found out many years ago that the size of an engine meant nothing when my new 1987 Buick GN with the 3.8 Turbo was blowing away just about anything I came across on the street. Big block Chevelles etc that laughed at my little V6 sure got a big surprise when I walked away from them lol. I still have the GN too. I give credit to Ford for the entire EB line of motors. I still prefer a nice big V8 for durabilty and do question how long a boosted 2.7 or 3.5 motor will last under a lot of typical towing and hard work compared to a bigger non turbo V8. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I still prefer a nice big V8 for durabilty and do question how long a boosted 2.7 or 3.5 motor will last under a lot of typical towing and hard work compared to a bigger non turbo V8. Time will tell.

Don't see why it would be an issue if it's engineered correctly. Nobody bats an eye about a Turbo Diesel lasting but put a turbo in a gas engine and "it's not going to last!!!" It's no different as long as it's engineered properly. It's not like Ford said "Hey, we've got a 3.5, let's slap a turbo on it and send it out the door!". The engines are designed for it and borrow a bunch of tech from the Diesels. Going on 6 years now and while there were some initial issues (intercooler and phasers) the engines are solid.

Last edited:
I recently saw a video of a survey of mechanics at the Ford dealership. They were asked: "If you were given an F150 - which engine would you prefer in it?" Almost all of them choose the 5.0 v8 "for reliability." Ford dealership technicians... Their words, not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back