Dropped my Transmission pan on 2008 ford f150 Yesterday

I dropped the pan yesterday on my 2008 Ford F150 XLT RWD 5.4. 3V 4R75E . I would be very interested in your comments. Mileage is 117,143 . According to carfax it had been flushed at 32,000 and 100,000 miles. I changed filter and put about 5 quarts back in. I also installed a pan with drain and magnetic plug. It was making a whirring noise just prior to a stop under braking and the change down to 1st was a bit rough,not a clunk but a very slight jarring. It has improved after the pan drop but that seems like a lot of metal.
I bought the truck from the only owner from new with 116,200 on it. It runs great, no phaser or timing chain issues, oil has been changed at around 5k regularly.
What do you guys think of the pics?

Attachments

• trans pan 61121.jpeg
    trans pan 61121.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 310
  • trans pan 61121 (2).jpeg
    trans pan 61121 (2).jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 308
Though the fluid may have been changed before, it's obvious this is the first time the pan was dropped.

I've never seen that much fuzz on a magnet in any transmission I've serviced.
Yes , the bobber doesn't lie. I thought it was a hedghog when I looked at the magnet!

If it was flushed without dropping the pan then everything that settled everywhere was pushed to the pan but never removed. Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it unless you started having more problems.

Flushed but pan was never dropped or filter changed as seen with the shipping plug laying there. From what is on the magnet, I would start saving for a transmission overhaul. That's a lot of debris even for your mileage.

Seems little on the high side, but I've seen lots that look like that in rigs that tow for a living that didnt get frequent service.

I refer a D&F every 15K to a flush at 30 in a towing rig.

Last edited:
If it was flushed without dropping the pan then everything that settled everywhere was pushed to the pan but never removed. Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it unless you started having more problems.
Thanks! you gave me some hope. I feel better to get that out and a clean filter in.

That's a lot of metal & debris, The magnet should have a slimy black appearance to it....The metal will be so fine that it will be like black/grey colored paste.

You did the best thing you could do by changing the filter & adding fresh fluid, But don't be surprised if this unit goes down. Doing another pan drop in 10,000 miles will tell you if the unit is "Making Metal" or not......The magnet shouldn't have much of anything on it.

Clutch friction material wears off normally, but is it metallic? Is all that metal from the gears themselves grinding together?
From what I remember clutch material is mainly non ferrous. Not metallic......I think this is a gear issue

That looks pretty excessive. I had a lot less than that after 190k on my 4L60E first time dropping the pan.
A guy at work has an 08 f150 and it lost reverse around that mileage. I don't know if they all had that transmission still in 08? I didn't think it was a common problem on the 4 speeds.

I agree with others, that does not look right on the magnet.
My '02 F150/ 4R70E with 170,000 miles (at least 1 fluid flush) and my brother in laws '04 F150/ 4R75E with 150,000 miles (original fluid) were both just a sludgy covered magnet, nothing like yours.

And for giggles, when I put the pan back on my brother in laws, I threw the bobber from my truck in as well, so his has 2 in it now.

That's a lot of metal & debris, The magnet should have a slimy black appearance to it....The metal will be so fine that it will be like black/grey colored paste.

You did the best thing you could do by changing the filter & adding fresh fluid, But don't be surprised if this unit goes down. Doing another pan drop in 10,000 miles will tell you if the unit is "Making Metal" or not......The magnet shouldn't have much of anything on it.
Thanks,I really appreciate your expert opinion
I agree with @clinebarger
Do another pan drop and filter change in 10,000 miles.
Thanks.

Back