Out with Castrol, in with Champion

For years, I've been using some Castrol oil filters on my '98 Ranger 3.0 engine. These filters have the 3600 number on them that so many different companies use. I got them cheap w/free shipping from a website that is now defunct about 5 years ago. I never cut one open, but the web seller said they were the same as Mobil filters (I never did verify that), just with a different paint color on them. Weight wise, they are heavy and I've not had any complaints with them. My supply of Castrol filters is about to dry up, so I got some Champion closeouts on RockAuto for slightly over $1 each. I threw them in with another order of closeout items, so they came from the same warehouse. Shipping wise, adding 10 to my cart cost the same as adding one, so WTH. My Ranger is getting up there in years, probably classified now as being in the "beater" status, so buying the absolute best filter for it isn't high on my goal list. BTW, my Ranger has well over 200K on it, manual tranny, uses no oil between 4K-5K miles and has been a VERY reliable truck that gets mid-20s gas mileage on extended trips. My wife has a very heavy foot on the accelerator when driving this truck. Despite being able to own just about any car or truck she could wish for, this was her favorite vehicle for the 13-hour one-way trips that she takes when visiting her mom. But, I digress....
Anyway, some of these Champions came in a regular box and some of them came in a circular container. I thought I'd show these, just because I have some free time on my hands. The green filter is (of course) the Castrol filter. That is the last one in my stash. The Champion filters are a recent purchase from RockAuto. The filter in the box had nothing inside the box except the filter. It had a copyright on the box of 2014, so it's 7 years old or newer. The filter in the circular container had a copyright of 2016, so it's 5 years old or newer. Both Champions are made in Mexico. The interesting feature about the filter in the circular container is that it also had a silica desiccant bag in it (Do not eat! :cool:), and also a sticker that I guess you were supposed to stick on your car window. The round container reminds me of some of the old tune-up kits that Ford marketed WAY back in the day. (y) Kinda neat, I guess. Will probably save one or two just to put on a shelf in my man cave.

Attachments

• Champion3.JPG
    Champion3.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 89
  • champion4.JPG
    champion4.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 93
  • champion5.JPG
    champion5.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 96
  • champion1.JPG
    champion1.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Champioin2.JPG
    Champioin2.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Very neat! Is it possible to get a shot of the baseplate and innards of the Champion so we can get an idea of who makes these?
All three filters have a silicone ADBV, or at least they all have one that has a red color to it. Both Champion filters have louvers. Being the tightwad that I am, perhaps I'll dissect a Champion after it's been on the engine.

Attachments

• champion6.JPG
    champion6.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 61
I really like these filters. There heavy and look good. I got a whole case for my Taurus and all the C&P on them look good.

Back