Out of state new car purchase (MD to PA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I would definitely talk to the dealer.
Earlirt this year I got an RX450h here in Silicon Valley; my sister and BIL dove it home to Gig Harbor, WA.
The car went into their name; I was just helping....
They made me pay CA tax and registration. Ouch!
Patty and Mark had to pay registration 3 weeks later in WA, but not sales tax.

So definitely find out what you can and can't do.
Good luck.
Unless the wheels on a car purchase never touches the pavement-you owe sales tax/registration (non refundable registration-you use to be able to send the registration back along with the plates and get a refund-no more) in California no matter where you live-if you buy the vehicle in the state of California. To avoid this it needs to be trucked out with a notarized Bill of Lading-many with knowledge of this take delivery in Nevada or Arizona.

It's too bad you didn't have it shipped to them in Washington-if the sales tax and registration was more than $600.00ish then you really didn't help them at all. Nothing wrong with helping people IF you know the rules.

The RX was a gift for my sister. They flew here from WA; I picked them up at San Jose Int. and we drove to Putnam in Redwood City. I had already negotiated the price. I told Patty I was taking our GS in for service; the car was a surprise. She was in tears; maybe she didn't like the color? I had no idea I had to pay CA sales tax and registration AND WA registration. Kick in the teeth on an expensive car. They were here for a ouple of weeks and drove home. Man did I snivel... All good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back