Our '97 Tbird and '03 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 97 Tbird 4.6L v-8 sport option
Bought in 2002 with 75k miles.
extremely dependable, lots of options (moonroof/luxury light package/sport option: stiffer suspension, bigger brakes/wheels etc)
Apart from an IAC valve and DPFE sensor, no other repairs; just regular maintenance...
handles great for such a large car.
These days it sees only short mile trips (school/work). The car's sheer dependability and comfort has convinced me to keep it as long as I can. Now has 122k miles, and still going very strong.
too many different oils tried; but mostly MC 5w-30 and havoline HM 10-30. MC FL-820s filter always.
I love that the peak HP/torque (205/280) is achieved at low (2500-3000) rpms, which makes regular driving fun.
oil changed twice a year.

Pics:
Tbird-07001.jpg

x-sub003-1.jpg

---------------------------------------
wife's 2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Our car for long trips and wife's daily use. Bought new in dec. 2002.
Again all lots of standard items for the price.
Great mpg, and very comfortable and roomy for an Economy car.
Absolutely dependable: Now has 75k miles, and Not a SINGLE repair to date, and we're very proud of this little car, and it can be quite peppy, too.
Dealer oil changes (havoline 10/30 i think)

OBX-spr-07211.jpg

Last edited:
I like the color of that Tbird. Both the exterior and interior still looks great, very clean. Is it just as clean under the hood? Not very many cars have that step up or courtesy lamp on the floor, looks neat. Whats the rpm on at freeway speed?

Nice Hyundai Elantra too. A nice coat of wax looks great on darker color cars.

1500 rpm @ 50 mph
2000 rpm @ 70 mph
2500 rpm @ 80 mph

It's pretty clean under the hood, too. might take a pic soon. never had the valve covers removed..very curious to see that!
I'm thinking of changing the INNER park lamps to white ones, and see how that would look like.

I love the dash in the T-birds from that error. The way it flows into the doors makes it look almost like one, long, semi-circular piece. Ford did this for the 1997-1998 F-150 and I thought it was brilliant.

i am assuming you know about the head gasket issue? my parents had a 97, great car excpet head gaskets went at 80K. did a search, and its not uncommon.
was a nice car

I have heard very little on head gasket issues on 94-97 Tbirds at the best informational sites like tccoa.com.
I have 120k, and never had an issue.

and yes, I'm aware of all the issue these cars are known to. changed the plastic intake to a aluminum one to prevent one of those, as a precaution.

Last edited:
'95 4.6L T-Bird purchased it new. Now has about 200,000 miles and driven by our son. Mobil 1 since 1,000 miles. Water pump, alternator, 2 batteries, radiator fan motor, and oxygen sensors are the only mechanical problems we have had with this vehicle. One of the most dependable vehicles on the road. My wife was really disappointed when they quit making them with that body style. So, we moved to the Mustang!

the elantra has been rock solid reliable? just wondering, how is full insurance coverage on this vehicle?

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
the elantra has been rock solid reliable? just wondering, how is full insurance coverage on this vehicle?

we're married, and both over 30 yrs, and with state farm, it's about $62/mo.(full coverage) That's with some discounts from the ins company, though...such as multi-line, multi-car, accident free, air bags, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back