Other Uses for Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hood latch in my car is a little rusted and has been sticking for a long time. I was thinking about sanding off the surface rust to make it smooth, but I am too lazy. I put a little bit of Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic oil on the latch mechanism, and now it works super smooth!

What other uses for motor oil have you found besides using it inside your engine?

Helps start a campfire in wet conditions...better than gas because it burns longer.

Dad used to lube our bicycle chains with it, still do it that way.

LubriMoly is awesome as a penetrating oil and (home)door hinge lube. I got a couple machine screws holding the ignitor loosened on my 10 YO oven after adding a couple drops of the LubriMoly. Wouldn't budge before.

!VORSICHT! Not promoting PCMO use here; The suspended (colloid)powder stuff is still questionable in a car engine with a filter ...

I don't think that using PCMO as a lubricant is a particularly new use. I use oil on just about anything that needs oiling.

I had a padlock that was sticking...I was in the middle of nowhere and couldn't leave the gate unlocked...I shut off the engine, popped the hood, grabbed the dipstick and dripped a few drops into the lock and presto. I did that last year and it is still working well despite the outside environment.

Last edited:
I meant I don't promote LubiMoly for PCMO use - better as a gen purpose oil or splash-lubed ODPE additive only. Others here will say otherwise.

took my parts oiler/oil can full of the store brand syn 5w20 into work, and smoothed out a very squeaky safe door hinge, and bearing that were binding up and grinding/making terrible noises on the bagging Carousels on one or two lanes.(which were just replaced with brand new units in sept '13) previously all the maintenance folks would give us for either job was wd-40, or more recently a can of PB Blaster.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
The hood latch in my car is a little rusted and has been sticking for a long time. I was thinking about sanding off the surface rust to make it smooth, but I am too lazy. I put a little bit of Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic oil on the latch mechanism, and now it works super smooth!

What other uses for motor oil have you found besides using it inside your engine?

Sounds like you've rediscovered what my grandfather did before various oil concoctions came in aerosol cans.

He had this thing he used for lots of household lubrication needs. It was small, cost only pennies to fill, less for each use, unlike aerosol cans.

It was called...let me see now...because I still have one...and I just used it on the gate outside...an OIL CAN!
grin.gif

Back when people used to put car keys in ignition switches and door looks, M1 5W-30 made a great lock lubricant. I still use it on door locks in the house and to keep my cheap box fans lubed.

At one time, dirt roads would be sprayed with used engine oil to control the dust. That fell out of favor, due to the risk of damaging the environment.

I take a roller and put it on the floor boards of my 16ft trailer . Used oil that is cut with a little diesel . It has added years to the life of my trailer floor . I was replacing boards every 2 0r 3 years . Do it on a good hot day it seems to soak in better .

I take a roller and put it on the floor boards of my 16ft trailer . Used oil that is cut with a little diesel . It has added years to the life of my trailer floor . I was replacing boards every 2 0r 3 years . Do it on a good hot day it seems to soak in better . sorry double post ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back