Original muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1995 Chev Lumina with 167k. The original muffler is still going strong although it has a small pinhole leak in it now. Is there any way you can purchase a muffler like that (stainless steel) that will last as long as this one did?

I would consider that the standard OEM muffler may be rather restrictive. That is what I found with my F150 and Aerostar. You can get a very high quality aftermarket muffler that is less restrictive and still relatively quiet.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
I own a 1995 Chev Lumina with 167k. The original muffler is still going strong although it has a small pinhole leak in it now. Is there any way you can purchase a muffler like that (stainless steel) that will last as long as this one did?

You have to ask yourself, do you really need a muffler that is going to last 16 years though? Do you expect to still have this car in 16 years? Or even in 5 or 10 years for that matter?

Stainless will surely last a LONG time.

But like PATMAN brought up, what in the world are your projected intentions for this car?

If you end up buying a cheapo replacement, make sure it is not undersized or necked down.

One of the reasons I mentioned that was because I used to have this really awesome mechanic who would often give us options as to what parts we could go with when servicing my ex wife's Honda. And in one case when the muffler fell off the car, he gave us three different options which basically broke down something like this, an economy muffler that would last 2-3 years, a midrange one that would last 5-6 years, or the top of the line one which would probably last 10+ years. Since the car was already 8 or 9 years old at the time, we figured there was no point spending the extra $$$ for the top of the line stuff, so we saved a few bucks by going with the middle option. It was so nice that we had a mechanic that gave us options like that (but it really sucks that he has since sold his shop and now has a landscaping company instead)

I have an 1983 El Camino that I bought new. At 270K miles it
still has the original muffler & tail pipe. The cat was
replaced at about 180K. Almost everythings else has been
replaced but the exhaust is still good.

Originally Posted By: LeftyLefty

California doesn't count.
wink.gif

I got a top shelf NAPA (walker?) muffler with lifetime warranty for my saturn eight years ago. They've given me two free replacements so far.
laugh.gif

The mid pipe is stainless.

According to the maintenance records I have I estimate my Accord is on it's 6th midpipe/muffler combo.

When you do the math it works out every 2-3 years up until I got it in 07 and have replaced it once.

I had a cheapo flex pipe rust out in a year and a half.

Last edited:
The plain carbon steel exhaust system on my 71 Cutlass is 30 years old. The exhaust system on my Marquis needs to be replaced every 3 years. On car is driven in the summer, the other is driven in the winter salt.

My '96 Ford Windstar had the original cat-back, still in great condition, when I sold it last spring with over 229K miles on it.

NOTE, the windstar, like some other cars had a very small hole in the bottom of the rear "resonator" (often called "muffler" but the BIG muffler is under the front seats).....this small hole was there from the factory to permit water to drain out.

Vehicle was driven year round.....lots of salt in the winter.

Chances are the flange and bolts are so rusted it'll never unbolt, to bolt a factory one back on. You'll probably have to cut it off, and weld a new one on. If that's the case I'd just get a universal muffler in the correct size.

I jinxed myself by posting in this thread, as my muffler in my Civic needed to be replaced today! ARGH! I was shocked that it went so soon, with the car only being 5 years old (maybe 6 at the most if the car was built at the very beginning of 2006 production) It died in the exact same way as my 2000 Civic's muffler did, the pipe rotted and broke that is attached to the muffler. So the muffler itself probably could have gone a lot longer in both cases, but since it's an entire unit, they need to replace the whole thing. Since it broke near my house, and the only shop nearby happens to be a Midas, that's where I took it. I went for the lifetime muffler, so at least if this one goes in 5-6 years time I'll only pay about $100 for the labor (total cost of the repair was $317) I must say I was impressed with Midas's service, I was in and out of there within an hour!

Ouch! Local muffler shop only charged me $20 to put a flowmaster on my F150. But I'm guessing there's quite a bit more stuff in the way when trying to work under a civic compared to a full size truck.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: LeftyLefty

California doesn't count.
wink.gif

It's so true. We have no snow therefore no salt on the streets. Also, we have very little rain, as little as 4-5 times a year. The only water on the streets is from watering the lawn. Nothing on the car get rust, my 17 years old with more than 260k miles LS400 still have OEM mufflers, cats, pipes ...

Couldn't they weld a section?

This does not help you but a Honda *replacement* muffler is warranted for life. So you only pay for it once and since the Honda muffler comes with everything, right from the flange to the tips are covered by the warranty as long as you own the car.

- vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back