Original Dex Cool or newer Prestone Platinum

Some people get pretty hung up on using the original recommended fluids but for older cars I believe in using the new improved stuff.
Opinions?

There's nothing wrong with Dexcool in a properly maintained cooling system.
And Cor-Guard(“regular” and Platinum) layers on the 2-EHA/sebacate OAT base found in Dex-Cool/Dex-Clone(any AMAM coolant that isn’t Prestone or Peak) with phosphate.

Ford says it’s OK to mix their new yellow coolant with orange(Dex-Cool). I say you can’t go wrong with either - but I give Prestone the edge. Just mix with distilled/deionized water(the latter can be found at a Whole Foods or hippie grocery store by the gallon, BYOB) since the phosphate in pHOATs(Prestone and Japanese/Korean fills) can sequester hard water.

... Dexcool, its still the latest stuff for GM.
Are GM engine blocks & radiators something special that 'require' Dexcool?

This is my point... When it's time for a flush n fill why not switch to the latest formulation?

Early this year I bought a 2010 Traverse from a used car dealer. It had green coolant in it. As soon as I could get to it I drained the system, replaced the thermostat and gave it a thorough flush and refilled with Platinum.

Let’s check the owners manual of a 2022 Chev Silverado to see what GM recommends for its latest formulation.

08EC8359-8545-4242-8BC2-788B1E9C60AF.png
D87CB75A-ACF4-45E4-B86F-2E7857D0F848.png

Early this year I bought a 2010 Traverse from a used car dealer. It had green coolant in it. As soon as I could get to it I drained the system, replaced the thermostat and gave it a thorough flush and refilled with Platinum.
You can refill with Gatoraid if you wish, but Dexcool is readily available, cheap and one of the best coolants out there. If someone put green coolant in any later model GM car I was looking at, I'd think twice on what other service they skimped on before buying it.

Dexcool is nearly 30 years old now. Maybe there's been progress since then?

Platinum is a 15-year/350,000 mile coolant that's compatible with all makes & specs.

Are GM engine blocks & radiators something special that 'require' Dexcool?

This is my point... When it's time for a flush n fill why not switch to the latest formulation?

It had green coolant as in old school green coolant? Okay, that’s bad. Prestone Platinum I’d have no worries using it in just about anything that Prestone says it’s compatible with.

It may have been that weird florescent yellow-green color. I have no idea if it was in there just the few days it was at the used car dealer, or was done by the previous owner. For this reason I wanted it ALL out.

I drained the system & refilled with tap water + Prestone flush per directions--driving it a few days. Then flushed with tap water for several minutes with the thermostat out. Then blew out the system with low-pressure air (15psi).
Only then did I refill with distilled water & Platinum.

Back