O'reilly's house brands now both made by WIX- pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a an o'reillys today and picked up a microgard filter. i was informed by a long time employee that fram has lost the contract and they are switching over to wix. The filter i bought is excellent with a heavy solid can, metal core , metal end caps and blue silicone adbv.
The pro-tec brand , which is sold in 12 packs for $32 , is also made by Wix.
We examined those too, with similar construction.
You will have to ask at the counter or call ahead to make sure they have your filter in stock. They are either behind the counter or in the back room. Meant for shop use.
With the free $5 promotion and the club member discounts , you can buy Wix quality filters for $2 each.

Cut open a MicroGard the other day and construction was not like a WIX but it was sturdy and I was pretty impressed at the way it held up to a pretty tough OCI. (10-11k 1 year). Great deal.

They just changed suppliers in the last 2 months. The old ones were fram , made to o'reilly specifications.

Originally Posted By: chad8
They just changed suppliers in the last 2 months. The old ones were fram , made to o'reilly specifications.

I had used some O'Reilly house-branded oil filters in the past and they were E-Cores. While I had no problem with them (and the majority of people didn't), I now avoid them. Nice to see they are now getting them from a decent supplier.
Can anybody tell me exactly what the hoops are that I have to jump through to get the $2 filters?

My filter is a 154mp. they did not have it in stock , but could have had it today. The normal price is $31.99 + tax.
Enter countdown to cash and you will get an e-mail for $5 off $5 purchase. $32-$5 =27+$1.50 tax =28.50 /12 = $2.37
There are some 20% off discounts floating around too.
Would make it about $2.10 per filter

I had heard about the switch on here but just actually saw some of the Wix made Microgards at O'Reilly's the other day.

I'd expect them to be identical to a Napa ProSelect and IMO a huge improvement over anything ecore.

The blue ADBV you saw is not likely silicone, they use different colors on the combo valves some of these filters use the color coding seems to differentiate different applications.

Here's a link to Wix's description of the valve and a picture with the different colors. You can see the different colors have slightly different shapes, so color is either for different applications or for different bypass settings IMO.

Further reading shows Wix says its just due to different base plates for different applications.

Link - Wix combo valve bulletin

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Link - Wix combo valve bulletin

Figure 2.0: "The innovative up-front combination valve"

eek.gif

I like the fake " Guarantee " . Yes , the valve might not be silicone .My stupid assumption not based on fact. It sure looks better than a whole lot of filters I have seen in the last few years.
I think o"reilly's has just fired a big shot in the house filter wars.
I bet that Advance , Pep Boys,and Autozone will have to follow.
Maybe even Walt-world.

Combo valve is strictly a cost-savings tool. It's just "OK" at best right now IMO but who knows what the future may bring. Might be the wave of the future. Might also be one of those things Wix will want to forget as quickly as possible and pray that everyone else does too.

The new supplier has been posted here a few times, including some pics. Interestingly, similar to the NPS and Silver not all the new MG use the nitrile combo valve. The following thread shows a new MGL51393 that uses the traditional Wix thread end bypass and separate adbv. No idea how or why these different design choices have been made. I would speculate on a reason, but no point as it would just be a guess.

MicroGard MGL51393 Pics

As for the combo valve, I suppose when Wix starts using them on their filter with the big WIX name on the side of the filter, I'll say they are now main stream. Maybe.
56.gif

I know because of the Motorcraft FL820S comparo posted here that Wix must have very briefly 'experimented' with with a 'silicone' combo valve on the equivalent 51372 and then decided to forget it. The 51372 and NG1372 both use dome end bypass on that application.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Combo valve is strictly a cost-savings tool. It's just "OK" at best right now IMO but who knows what the future may bring. Might be the wave of the future. Might also be one of those things Wix will want to forget as quickly as possible and pray that everyone else does too.

To add, I saw (and saved off the 'net) a patent submission by Purolator a year or two ago for their version of the "combo valve". I hope it doesn't happen.
crazy.gif

According to my guy that works at o'reilly. He says that puro has gone downhill fast lately. I know that has been a bitog favorite a long time. maybe time to look closer or sometimes each chain has filters made just for them.
I was really trying to show people the cheap price deal on pro tec's . It just comes in the same conversation as Microgard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chad8
According to my guy that works at o'reilly. He says that puro has gone downhill fast lately.

And what does he base his statement on?

you wonder what corners are being cut to sell a filter, and make money at $2,10 a filter. would u use it on a $15000 car? or a junker only?
I think I will stick with denso for a while and see how it all settles out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

They've been mass producing them since 2007 without any apparent regrets. IMO it seems to work, and the savings are passed on too. Win - win.

But as noted they don't use it in every application. I recently bought 3 different Silvers and every one had a different bypass set up.

Quote:
According to my guy that works at o'reilly. He says that puro has gone downhill fast lately.....

Yes, and we all know that the majority of the counter jockey's at these auto parts chains really know their stuff. Just read some of the examples posted here (bitog) to confirm that. (Before anyone takes offense, not saying all parts counter jocks, but a recent DNewton post also noted this phenomenon)

And afterall, O'R is the parts chain that has gone from Purolator to Fram to Champ(ecore) and now to Wix made, for their MG filter line since ~2010. Based on that, I'm thinking that the MG supplier has less to do with the filter design characteristics and quality of any brand and more to do with being the low bidder for their MG filter line.

As Zee said, I'd like specifics as to the basis for this very broad proclamation. I'd generally give this statement the same validity much of the advice and information coming across the counter at part stores. Sounds more like hearsay that should be taken with a great amount of skepticism.

I agree completely. To me purolater , fram , wix, Mann, champion and several others have been stalwarts of the industry. All make filters that work and will not grenade your engine.
No matter the rumors of ocod etc....
No matter what some store clerk thinks.
I will say that this guy has been working the auto parts world a few decades.
He does seem to know the o'reilly world of filters .
You are also right that cost drives manufacturer decisions and i'd bet that this combo valve wix is coming in at low wholesale prices.
Same with champion making supertech so many years for wal-mart.
Then wal-mart found a way to squeeze the other major players and dump champ.
Why sell a $2 filter and make .20 when you can sell the same number of $3 filters and make a buck each.

^^^ Still doesn't explain why this guy at the O'R parts counter thinks "Purolator has gone down hill fast lately".

And afterall, O'R is the parts chain that has gone from Purolator to Fram to Champ(ecore) and now to Wix made, for their MG filter line since ~2010.--------------------

it must be tough to sell to oreillys, seems they change vendors a lot- walmart is like that, sounds good, but hard to buy another one of whatever you got last month as they have changed vendors since u bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back