Oreck vacuums... everything they're claimed to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Church uses an ORECK and it is an excellent vaccum and we have had the thing probally for 5 years and I would love one for home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would strongly consider the Rainbow manufactured by Rexair in Cadillac, MI. The Rainbow is a water vacuum with a HEPA filter. This is a cleaning system that will last for years since service parts are available for units built over 40 years ago. Excellent performance and a good vacuum to use for people suffering from alergies. I am somewhat parital to the Rainbow since Rexair has been my employer for almost 19 years. Excellent, well engineered product and a great company to work for. It is expensive but well worth it based on it's performance and durability.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I had no idea that this topic would be on page two within two hours...

There is at least one every year. If this board had a decent search you could find lots of old threads on the subject

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I had no idea that this topic would be on page two within two hours...

There is at least one every year. If this board had a decent search you could find lots of old threads on the subject

Well, it wouldn't be so bad to search for, but the term "vacuum" has a lot of hits on this site... for some odd reason.
crackmeup2.gif

I have a 25+ year old upright bagged Oreck that would out vacuum anything new available from Walmart/Target... My Dyson is definitely overrated.

When you have multiple shedding pets, the vacuum is very important.

My friends Kirby is a PITA. It is one of those convertible-type vacuums. Call it a Transformer. Seems to be a jack of all trades but master of none. Big waste of money.

I use a $40 Bissell upright that uses a bag. Does an OK job. Wanted a very light vacuum due to back and hip problems. Only thing wrong is the wife keeps breaking the plastic pedal you step on to tilt the handle back (do think it's the wife's technique and not the sweeper's fault). After replacing the pedal for the 3rd time, I said, "That's it--I'm doing all the vacuuming for now on." Boy--what an idiot I am. Only thing about the Oreck is I don't see a detachable hose to get in corners or under things. I want to hit everything at once when I'm vacuuming.

I'm on my second Oreck. Lost the first one in a divorce. I've had this one since 2006.

It's light, quiet and works on all surfaces. I have part carpet and part laminate. I can go between them without doing any adjusting.

I also like that it has a bag that holds a good bit. It's easy to change and don't make a mess when you change it. I also love the fact I can vacuum a pile of dirt and it doesn't blow it all over the place.

My dad worked for Hoover for 30+ years. I told him when he retires I'm getting something else because they suck. He retired in 2002 or something that's when I got the first Oreck.

The handheld isn't so good. I will do okay for small jobs. For doing the inside of the car it's not very good I use a shop vac for that. I would take it since it's free, but I definitely wouldn't pay money for the handheld.

I change the belt once a year, never had one broke, but they do stretch. I change the bag probably quarterly maybe less often. We have 4 dogs and are always vacuuming probably at least 3 times a week. Picks up dog hair great.

If you have any questions let me know. You can also visit an Oreck store for a free demo. I think they will even let you take it home. For me it's been a great purchase.

Can somebody explain why you would want to use a bag-less transparent dirt sucking machine? If I had a daughter, she would shriek "Eeek, So Gross!"

I still remember old NiCad powered hand-held dust-buster from early eighties. Opening and dumping its "collection" in to garbage can was one of the dirtiest job that one could do.

How is this different on new fangled bag-less vacuums? Do you draw straws as to who gets to empty the canister content?

- Vikas

I prefer the bags too. When you empty those bagless containers in the house the dust gets in the air- and going outside to empty it isn't fun either when it's 10 degrees out.

Have owned both Oreck and Dyson recently, and I have to give the "edge" to Oreck.. pardon the pun there, but I also just got the "Oreck Edge" and it's an amazing vacuum... the only thing I liked better about the Dyson was it's turning radius (on the ball mode).. the Oreck seems to pickup better and treat my expensive carpet better (not has hard on it).. The Oreck is also US Made (but their canister that comes with it for free is alas Made in China). Both are head and shoulders above the typical $199 and lower priced department store vacuum...

The Dyson I believe was made in China.. for a $599 vacuum that's a bit high...

We have owned Oreck's for 12 years. My mom for longer than that. We still have our first one and we bought another 6 yrs ago to keep upstairs. Both still going strong. Only repair ever needed was one had a cord short out in the handle. I cut the cord 3" and reconnected. Before Oreck, we would go thru a vacuum every year. Had Sears, Eureka, etc..all lost suction or pieces broke off in a years time.

I bought a Oreck and had terriable luck with it. I may have just got a lemon, but it was terrible. It was really light and nice to use but.. The short time I had it, the off/on switch went, they fixed under warranty, the cord went, which they fixed under warranty and then the engine started making this high pitched whine, I took it back AGAIN, they told me it was normal for some engines to be louder, this thing sounded like a jet turbine warming up. Unless it actually quit working, they could not replace it under warranty. So I kept it, hoping it would go, never did, my wife hated the noise. Ended up throwing it in the garbage and buying a Dirt Devil, which never gave us any problems and I think is the best deal out there. We still use the Dirt devil to this day, and I probably am done with high dollar vaccuums.

Originally Posted By: PDX2500HD
The Dyson I believe was made in China.. for a $599 vacuum that's a bit high...

You guys have got to go to Overstock.com where we buy top of the like Dysons for 299.00!

Glad you like your Oreck. My mom ran over a paper clip and destroyed an Oreck, and the factory claimed it was abused!

Ended up getting an Oreck from a local vacuum shop. The shop also does all repairs on site, so that was a plus. Got the XL Select for $206.95, and that included a package of bags as well.

Just bought it today, have been using it this afternoon. It is definitely light, and the handle seems longer than most, so I'm not stooping as much while using it (I'm 6 foot 3). That's a big plus.

A little disappointed, the roller brush doesn't seem to be close on *either* edge of the head, leaving at least an inch of unvacuumed area along the baseboard... and the other side is even worse, about two inches. My old vacuum gets within a half inch.

That's the only gripe at this point, I wish it got a little closer to the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back