Ordering Asin Timing Belt Kit ( which vendor ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to order an Asin timing belt kit TKH-001 for an 2001 Acura TL . After discounts and taxes (coupons,prime , /cc cash back ) the price delivered is about the same from Amazon and RockAuto. I would say Amazon for better customer service and more reliable shipping . However, I don't want to buy parts that have been sitting in an Amazon warehouse for a for long time. This item is in the 130's on Amazons TB kit popularity list and about 1 new review per month . Would I get "fresher" merchandise buy it via RockAuto ?

Amazon, their customer service is much better. Rock has parts in lots of locations so there is no guarantee of fresher product. In this case it doesn't matter, they don't go bad in the box.

I bought my kit from rock auto for my accord with the f23a1. Everything seemed new. Belts looked great.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I would look for a Gates timing belt.

Why?

The Aisin kits for Japanese cars come with an OEM timing belt and water pump. Better than Gates, unless Gates was the OE supplier.

We use all gates timing belts at my engine shop.. Many times gates is the oem maker anyway.
over the years we have used them all but we have had good luck with gates. Also buy from someplace that moves these belts sometimes they are on the shelf for a long time.

My personal experience after using a total of five Aisin kits with Mitsuboshi belts is that the quality of the Mitsuboshi belt is higher than a Gates. I once got a Gates belt from Napa and it was thicker and less flexible which made it more difficult to install over the cam and camshaft sprockets. In addition the white alignment marks were slightly off on the Gates belt which is the reason I returned it to Napa. I definitely recommend the Aisin water pump in the kit over the Chinese pumps that often come in a Gates kit.

i agree about the water pump but like i said we use the gates all the time.. We replaced a genuine Honda timing belt yesterday that said Honda with the gates logo.

Order where you can also get your lower and upper radiator hoses, also.
wink.gif
Do those, too, at the same time and save hassle. 2001 MY is time for them unless replaced at a recent point you know of.

I order a lot of parts from both Amazon and RockAuto and trust both. I order more from RockAuto because of parts identification ease (Amazon's search/parts features leave A LOT to be desired), and consistent good prices. But I do always check Amazon on pricier parts.

If ordering from RA, check to see if any quality oil filter deals ship from the same wharehouse. I did that a few weeks ago and got 8 PureOne filters for my SUV for $1.82 each, including incremental shipping. This is another reason I order vastly more for RA; great deals on closeouts and the opportunity to combine shipping, which Prime does not offer as individual shipping is built into each item price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
My personal experience after using a total of five Aisin kits with Mitsuboshi belts is that the quality of the Mitsuboshi belt is higher than a Gates. I once got a Gates belt from Napa and it was thicker and less flexible which made it more difficult to install over the cam and camshaft sprockets. In addition the white alignment marks were slightly off on the Gates belt which is the reason I returned it to Napa. I definitely recommend the Aisin water pump in the kit over the Chinese pumps that often come in a Gates kit.

If you get a Gates-Unitta belt made in the Japan Unitta factory you are good to go. Otherwise stay with Mitsuboshi. Gates timing belts made elsewhere suck. Admittedly I have only bought two, but both had very poor quality silk screening making their marks hard to locate plus they are noisy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I would not worry, RA probably has fresher products.

Pehaps they will allow you to squeeze it for freshness...

Yes. I will buy only OEM or the AISIN kit. Although Gates generally makes good belts and hoses, the longevity of Gates and other aftermaket water pumps is not that great (personal experience). I want these parts to last through the full 7yr/105mi interval.

Anyway, my OP was about where to buy the AISIN TB TKH-001 kit.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Originally Posted By: rkpatt
Yes. I will buy only OEM or the AISIN kit. Although Gates generally makes good belts and hoses, the longevity of Gates and other aftermaket water pumps is not that great (personal experience). I want these parts to last through the full 7yr/105mi interval.

Anyway, my OP was about where to buy the AISIN TB TKH-001 kit.

Sorry. I'd get it wherever is cheapest and not worry about the rest. I've gotten them from both RA and Amazon, and probably somewhere else I've forgotten. None ever looked "old".

I've installed both the Gates and Mitsuboshi belts - the Mitsuboshi is a different belt, it's more flexible and thinner, which can make a difference in some engines, especially ones with mechanical timing belt tensioners. I'd trust both.

OK ,I purchased the Aisin TKH-001 TB kit Amazon since a family member who has Amazon Prime . It will get here quickly. Having thought more about it, the engines ( Acura / Honda V6 ) that this fits are popular enough, that they don't stay on the shelf that long.

Originally Posted By: rkpatt
I am getting ready to order an Asin timing belt kit TKH-001 for an 2001 Acura TL . After discounts and taxes (coupons,prime , /cc cash back ) the price delivered is about the same from Amazon and RockAuto. I would say Amazon for better customer service and more reliable shipping . However, I don't want to buy parts that have been sitting in an Amazon warehouse for a for long time. This item is in the 130's on Amazons TB kit popularity list and about 1 new review per month . Would I get "fresher" merchandise buy it via RockAuto ?

I am assuming you are going to install this yourself. There was a post by a BITOG member a week or so ago about how he bought a belt from an Online vendor, had a garage install it. And the pulley or some other part failed and destroyed the motor. There was no warranty as he provided the parts. He was going after the manufacturer of the parts for the motor. I don't know what the final outcome was.

Very good point about the (no) warranty on a critically important project. If I was hiring someone to do the TB replacement job, I would let them buy the parts and warranty the job (for 12k, 12mos). However, I have performed and number timing belt replacement jobs on Honda and Toyota vehicles. I enjoy doing this work as a hobby and will know that the job is done right. ( I once paid for a full TB job (supposed the whole "kit" at a shop only to find out the water was not changed ). I will probably take me 8 or so hrs wheres an expeience Honda / Acura tech with air tools and do it 3-4 hrs.

"I am assuming you are going to install this yourself. There was a post by a BITOG member a week or so ago about how he bought a belt from an Online vendor, had a garage install it. And the pulley or some other part failed and destroyed the motor. There was no warranty as he provided the parts. He was going after the manufacturer of the parts for the motor. I don't know what the final outcome was."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back