Ordered an Exide AGM35 for my Subaru-what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would give EXIDE a chance with their AGM EDGE line of batteries.

They purport to utilize graphene technology to extend the batteries full charge performance over the life of the battery. Another feature is the alloy in the plates include silver for higher resistance to vibration and specially oval welded connectors to reduce plate to buss bar connection failures.

Shopping for the correct battery caused me to gasp at the 236.00 price I was finding at most outlets. Few places sell the AGM EXIDE, most are just selling flooded lead acid ie Home Depot.

Even Amazon sell them for 226.00, so I walk into my local Camping World for something else and find out they sell EXIDE AGM, and with my Good Sam discount card the price went to 188.00 - the least expensive I could find from a local source that can provide after sales support. With a 48 month warranty, its not the best warranty nor the worst

http://www.atbatt.com/media/sku_pdf/Exide-Edge-Booklet.pdf

They called today after ordering on Thursday, to pick my new non standard style battery - it arrive in one day!

Need help when I go to pick up my new battery, and wanted to know from the experts here what to bring and how to test, and whether or not I should place the battery under charge before use?

Have a high quality Fluke voltmeter to test voltage accurately. I do not have a load tester.

Do I insist they charge it with a 30 amp charger first? Do you think it might have sat on the shelf long before being shipped to my location? Or should I just take it home and install and test it myself with my own charger?

Cant wait to have a battery that will not leave white fuzz on the posts, white residue down the battery and across the filler caps, and acid damaged paint on the body below the battery box.

My stock battery is 3 years 9 months old, and has no reserve capacity and sometimes require me to bump start my car.

Thanks for your help, I really want a strong battery to get me through this upcoming El-Nino and Catastrophic Global Warming.

Michael
2013 Subaru Impreza Sedan Sport Touring Premium

I would fully charge it with a microprocessor controlled charger.

Like the Schumacher 2/6/10 Amp 12-Volt Ship 'N Shore.

When my battery died,(too many deep draws) I just popped a new lead battery in and drove it home. The charger said it was at 75% charge, even after driving it for a hour home.

I put it on a microprocessor charger and topped it off. It would have taken forever for the vehicle to fully charge that battery.

I have a Diehard Gold that is sealed and 13 years old now and still going strong. When it dies its gets another one.
A iffy voltage regulator can cause excess battery fuzz and shorter life, a good indicator is if the car goes through light bulbs like they are on a dollar sale.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have a Diehard Gold that is sealed and 13 years old now and still going strong. When it dies its gets another one.

I plan on doing the same thing next battery I need. I seem to have the best luck with Diehard Gold batteries. My last one died at 13 years 4 months. My 00 Century's [now in CA] Diehard is pushing 9 years old.

Some OEM subaru batteries are tiny.. less than 400CCA..quite an odd decision since they are marketed for winter driving.

A 30 amp charger sounds too big to me. I would have just gone to Walmart and gotten a MAXX. Exide does not have a good reputation for batteries on this forum. The one I had failed within the 2 yr warranty, but it was just a flooded cell.

Hope you look at the date code and get a fresh battery (2 or 3 months old mfg date code).

I would have had my old battery and charging system analyzed before I purchased a new battery. Maybe old battery is leaking around the posts or alternator is over charging.

I do consider Exide batteries the armpit of the automotive battery.. but I dont have any experience with their AGM batteries.

I have owned plenty of their regular batteries and every one died young and grew mountains of fuzz on the posts.

if they are anything like the d31 agm exides i have you should be ok.i have a bunch i got cheap as they sat too long to sell because of too high of price.as in 25.00 each.they were retail over $300.
i charged them from 12.5v and they all stayed at 13.1 afterwards.
doing fine on a solar system and as ups/test bench batteries.test bench duty is tough here with large hf mobile amps and boom car amps being tested often.some of the "building shakers" pull 400a on peaks.and i have pulled that battery to 11v open circuit a dozen times at least.then hit it with a 100a timed charger to get it back up for the ups it serves.if any would fail its this one and it still passes an rc test about the same as it did when i got this lot.

Quote:
Thanks for your help, I really want a strong battery to get me through this upcoming El-Nino and Catastrophic Global Warming.
Only in California.

Please spare your distain for climate change believers, you are showing the ugly side of humanity turning what are facts of the California climate and its impact on human habitation into a personal attack.

Having lived in the same geographic location in California for the greater time of 52 years has proven to me that climate change is occurring rapidly during my lifetime.

Please don't lump me in with the deniers or religious zealots, California's climate has dramatically warmed since the glaciers mostly melted 10 of thousands of years ago.

Where I live now, 5500 above sea level inside a high Sierra meadow, our ground water source disappeared 4 years ago. Since most humans need water on a regular basis for survival it's safe to call what happened and our current existence a "catastrophic" situation.

Only by artificial support by trucking in our water have we avoided having to move to an area where water is still present.

We've probably installed at least 30 of these in the last year ever since our local supplier started stocking them. No issues at all so far. Our cost on the 24 size is about $130, I think.

Our 2012 Subaru came with a non-sealed battery. I've topped up with distilled water twice so far. I understand that Subarus are imported to the US through two different organizations and the other one may install sealed batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back