Orange Eggs

Egg-producing chickens, for the most part, live hellacious lives trapped with no sunlight or exercise, in hot, diseased barns, being fed the cheapest 'food' available. The eggs you're buying from these suppliers are bound to taste like nothing, as these poor chickens have nothing left to give.

My MIL has a farm outside of Dallas where she raises Araucanas, Leghorns, Marans, Brahmas, and Wyondottes in a huge farm yard and a barn that's all theirs. The yolks in these eggs are like looking into the sun. When we run out of eggs from her, we get them at Aldi, and they're just not the same.
Oh I like ALDI's cage free eggs. They are almost as good as Nellies. But neither really compare to the one we get from our own chickens. Double yolks galore out of my hens, too.

Aldi- Goldhen Free Range Large Brown Eggs- The carton states they are sustainably raised on small family farms and are 100% vegetable fed, they have a seal certifying that they are certified humane. The package states the eggs meet “the Humane Farm Animal Care Program standards, which include nutritious diet without antibiotics, animals raised with shelter, resting areas, sufficient space and the ability to engage in natural behaviors.” While i dont believe much or any of it... at least i feel like its the lesser of evils.

I buy 2 dozen at a time, and its like playing the lottery.

Both cartons will either have very orange yolks, or mid yellow yolks.

Over the past couple of years i have probably bought 30 dozen.. less than half were dark orange.. to me they taste better. But the gamble sucks.

For you city folk:

Cage-free, a term regulated by the USDA, means that the eggs come from hens that, put simply, aren’t caged: They can “freely roam a building, room, or enclosed area with unlimited access to food and fresh water during their production cycle, but [do] not have access to the outdoors.” Considering the conventional cage is 8 ½ by 11 inches, or the size of a piece of paper, this seems like a better lifestyle — but there are downsides, too. According to All About Eggs by Rachel Khong, cage-free facilities have more hen-on-hen violence and lower air quality than facilities that use cages.

Free-range, another USDA term, means that the eggs come from hens that have some sort of access to the outdoors. However, it doesn’t mean that the hens actually go outdoors, or that the outdoor space is more than a small, fenced-in area; it simply implies that a door exists that a farmer could at some point open.

Pasture-raised is not a term regulated by the USDA; however, if the carton says “pasture-raised” and also includes stamps that say “Certified Humane” and/or “Animal Welfare Approved,” it means that each hen was given 108 square feet of outdoor space, as well as barn space indoors. This is pretty much as close to the bucolic, E-I-E-O farm vibe you’ll get when dealing with large-scale egg producers, so if you’re looking to support those practices, keep a look out for those labels.

Around here most have a hen house with a fenced in area attached and are free to come and go as they please.

No fence no cages just the farm to roam wherever they please it’s the reason eat eggs every day.
25BC4F3A-F5F7-47CB-8797-BE0D527A0122.jpeg

Generally speaking a darker richer orange is an indication that the chicken had better feed.
You want them to roam and eat lots of bugs. It results in a better nutrient profile and the taste is better.

I mean you could intentionally feed chickens certain things to ensure their eggs are a different color.
That is true. But the cheapo brand of eggs aren't going through that trouble.

Generally speaking a darker richer orange is an indication that the chicken had better feed.
You want them to roam and eat lots of bugs. It results in a better nutrient profile and the taste is better.

I mean you could intentionally feed chickens certain things to ensure their eggs are a different color.
That's what I said, but someone else said I was wrong. 🤷‍♂️

like humans animals are what they eat + IMO + that of many nutritional experts todays food is a LOT less nutritious than ever + access to the better meats etc is limited + too costly for many BUT we can limit obvious junk processed foods with little to no nutrition because only YOU are putting food into your body unless your a baby!!

It's possible to feed hens artificial food coloring to try to influence the color of the yolk, but I'm not sure why anyone would do that.

There's lots of stuff where the color is dependent on coloring added. Salmon get their natural orange/red hue from eating various carotenoids (mostly from crustaceans) with coloring. I've had farmed salmon from Asia that was pale white. But most farmed salmon has astaxanthin (extracted from algae) added to give it kind of an orange color.

Back