Oral Flea & Tick Medication

So my wife and I have done researched and talked and we are leaning towards the Seresto collar. I can't find much on adverse reactions to the Credelio, but I just don't want to chance him having a reaction to it. I like the topical and it has always done great, but it is messy and having to watch around the cat. I don't like the idea of giving my pets any pesticides but giving something topical seems better in my eyes than having him eat it. The collar seems to be the best route. Ticks and fleas are very bad in our area and we go camping and hiking frequently so he has to be protected with something. My vet has the collar and its around $80. Tractor Supply and Petco are about $58. I seen problems online about knockoffs. Are we safe to get them from places like tractor supply?

Bravecto killed my Shepherd. It put her into liver failure and we had to put her down. It was terrible. Stay away from any parasitic med taken orally. They kill parasites and some dogs. Use a topical or flea collar. Think about it. Would you take an oral medication to prevent bugs from biting you?

Bravecto killed my Shepherd. It put her into liver failure and we had to put her down. It was terrible. Stay away from any parasitic med taken orally. They kill parasites and some dogs. Use a topical or flea collar. Think about it. Would you take an oral medication to prevent bugs from biting you?

If you read my last post before posting, that’s what I decided to do, we are going to try the Seresto collar.

Great subject. It's scared the heck out of me. We adopted a hound/lab mix (mostly hound) after the Houston TX floods. I actually had an image of an article. He was found with his mother tied to a tree with water up to his chest. Heavy scaring on the neck from this. Amazingly good dog. He goes from room to room at night (3 kids and me) and checks on everyone. He was believed to be about 1 when we got him. We are in the 3rd year now and he has done well with Heartgard plus. We get heavy ticks in the back woods especially a wet spring and fall time. My dog hits the woods daily! Used Frontline topical and seems to work fine. I read a lot and consensus was it's been around a bit and has lost some of the effectiveness. I was considering ingestible but then backed off. Haven't used anything for about 6 months. Still on the fence about it. \\

Luckily my 14 year old is amazingly good at finding ticks and checks the dog a few times daily.

So we put the Seresto collar on our dog on December 1. This morning, and this has happened at least 3 times now, he would just start “licking at the air” and then his teeth would kinda chatter. Not a full chatter but his bottom jaw would just move up and down and he just stares. His eyes have a weird look to them. Only lasts for a few seconds.
It never dawned on me something was wrong, because it never lasted very long, but it hit me when it happened this morning. I looked up some things online and I’m wondering if he had a partial seizure. I removed the Seresto collar and washed his neck off. I’ll see if it happens again. If it was a seizure, I am so glad I didn’t give him the Credelio medicine. We could have lost him potentially.

Yeah I think you’re right. Every medicine is going to have a horror story attached with it. Just have to make sure you’re informed and choose the best for your situation and dog. We’re taking him tomorrow to get his Lyme vaccine. I was going to talk to the vet some more about the Credelio but we’re thinking about going for it. He did do fine with the Interceptor Plus sample the vet gave us, I kept a close eye of him for a few days. Not a single problem with that.
Yes just about like ever Kibble product on the market. Google Kibble recalls.

So my wife and I have done researched and talked and we are leaning towards the Seresto collar. I can't find much on adverse reactions to the Credelio, but I just don't want to chance him having a reaction to it. I like the topical and it has always done great, but it is messy and having to watch around the cat. I don't like the idea of giving my pets any pesticides but giving something topical seems better in my eyes than having him eat it. The collar seems to be the best route. Ticks and fleas are very bad in our area and we go camping and hiking frequently so he has to be protected with something. My vet has the collar and its around $80. Tractor Supply and Petco are about $58. I seen problems online about knockoffs. Are we safe to get them from places like tractor supply?
Please read the article at this link before deciding on the Soresto collar

Nexgard here. Been on in for almost two years with no issues thankfully. He does act crazy but I’m willing to bet that’s typical of the breed.

Would you swallow an insecticide to prevent bugs from bothering you? I don't think so. Bravecto killed my shepherd last year. She is pictured in my avatar. It destroyed her liver. Never use an oral insecticide.

Yep, there is no need for dogs to be ingesting insecticide. I use Kyolic garlic up to 1 gram a day, never seen a flea or tick ever since I started using it. It also has a heap of other health benefits. It has to be aged garlic. It cant be raw or cooked garlic as their is still a chemical in it that can harm dogs but it is not present in aged garlic or specifically Kyolic garlic.

We use Advantage Multi for dogs 6 to 7 months out of the year. Once a month on the back of the neck. Prescription item. Its not cheap but to us well worth it, never an issue with fleas or worms for over a decade. Cost is approx just over $100 for 6 doses = 6 month supply at once a month as stated we use for about 7 months of warm weather, then stop for 5 months of cooler weather..

Prevents Heartworm (and others) as well as fleas. Quite amazing, been using it for a decade now.
We dont see a need to use during the cold season and feel good about not using a medication all year long. Comes in a tiny tube and you just squeeze the liquid out onto the back of the neck where the dogs cant lick, once dry, safe for humans, kids and pets ...

Prevents -
Heartworms, Fleas, Roundworms, Hookworms, Mange, Whipworms

I always assumed it doesnt do anything against ticks but for some reason we do not seem to have that problem here in SC. Over ten years, maybe pulled one or two off the dog.

Dogs are great!

Last edited:
we all love our pups + want the best for them, our very active 10 YO Bischon is doing great, still walking a mile a day besides bouncing around in the house. he loves the outdoors even in Pa's snow!! he gets K-95 can food with fish oil added as well as Quercetin for the breeds scratchy issues + brewers yeast to keep bugs off, only Mercolas flea + tick spray in season. enjoy your pet as we do + they help keep you moving!! like modern prescriptions for humans many dog treatments are TOXIC!!!

I am in the market for topical application for my two farm/country dogs. The ticks are very bad here now.

Reading amazon reviews is exhausting. Best Ever, Doesnt Work, Killed my Dog... are usually the order in which you read.

We ended up using K9 Advantix at the beginning of the month. He did have 3 partial seizures about 3-4 days after we put it on him. Not sure if it was a fluke thing or if it was from the Advantix, but none since. They are due again on the first. If he ends up happening again I’ll know it’s from the Advantix, and I’ll have to try and find something else.
we tried the essential oil blends in solutions but he hated it. And went crazy every time we applied it. Must have been too strong for him.
I really don’t know what to do. The dog has so many reactions to things, but we need to keep him protected. Fleas and ticks are so bad and we go camping and hiking and they are around other dogs.

Obviously, the collars are the best option than the pesticides or any sort of medicine/drugs for fleas or ticks. If money is not your concern then you can go for the collars as it costs nearly $80, more or less depends. You can get it from anywhere like online pet care only after judging the reviews.
Yeah that’s why I tried it and wanted to use it but as I stated in an above message, he ended up having seizures with the Seresto collar on.

i bathe my small dog in a 5 gallon bucket with a good amount of red apple Cider vinegar. It kills all the fleas and it actually leaves her coat shinier and more softer,plus it gets rid of the "dog smell".

Back