options to dispose off a car

Can anyone point me to the best option to dispose off the car.

Other than a local junkyard and Copart, what other options do I have? Not interested in donation.

Anyone familiar with carbrain, Wonder if its trustworthy.

Thanks in advance.

If it’s not road worthy I’d cut the catalytic converter off and scrap that by itself first, then take the whole thing to the junkyard. Some context about the vehicle will help.

I remember a local ad for someone who would buy and tow off junk cars. Bottom dollar given of course. Would think any local garage would know how to dispose of a car through any such service.

Otherwise, lowball it on CL?

Other than a local junkyard and Copart, what other options do I have? Not interested in donation.

Thanks in advance.
A few years ago, we used Peddle.com to get rid of a 2008 Saturn Outlook that needed an engine but still ran and still looked great. I originally looked at Peddle.com just to get an idea of value. They ask you to answer a bunch of questions to determine what they'll pay you and then give a price. Interestingly, since I originally ignored the first offer, in a few more days, they came back with a higher offer. Ignored again and they once again came back with a slightly higher offer which I accepted. They came to the house with a flatbed and a check and away they went. I did have my fingers crossed after I deposited the check but no problem. Pretty simple process as opposed to a trade in or private sale. If they are still around, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if the situation was right.

Thanks in advance.
I used this earlier this year to part with my 1998 Maxima. It was fast, they were ready to come next day. I was supposed to get $600 but first thing they did was to lift the vehicle. A muffler shop had stolen the OE cat about 11 years ago unbeknownst to me until 2023. So my offer was halved to $300.

I remember a local ad for someone who would buy and tow off junk cars. Bottom dollar given of course. Would think any local garage would know how to dispose of a car through any such service.

Otherwise, lowball it on CL?
I wanted to get rid of an old car a few years ago and I called the number listed in some of those ads and in some of the donate-to-a-charity ads and I found in the on-line listings that many of the phone numbers listed were the exact same number. But they ALL routed to a the same call center in what sounded like the Philippines. It seems that most of the ads are place by what appears to be a broker that takes the calls, then low balls the sellers and after they settle on a price, he calls a local scrap company and sells it to them as-is where-is for more money and they're the ones that come out and pickup the car. If the broker used the name of a charity, then they send a bit of money $1? to the charity and that's the full extent of the charity's involvement. None of these vehicles go to a charity, only a small donation. But OTOH the charity hasn't had to to ANYTHING beyond allowing the companies to use their name so it's all free money to them anyway.

Locally they were advertising $400 to $500 for an old car but when I called them they kept trying to get me to sell it for $125 to $175. I gave up and called a local auto wrecking yard and they gave me $325 for it with no hassles at all. For me, it wasn't about the money, it was more about not supporting the scammers that offer one price and then try to low ball the sellers. And that make it appear that the vehicles are going to a charity when actually the charity was never involved and received almost nothing from the deal.

YMMV.

I used and would recommend Peddle as well.
On mine I quickly googled what an OE cat looks like on my car, and what was on it was not that. Then I found a website saying aftermarket cats are worth significantly less than OE. So I still considered the offer fair and I wanted the car gone. The only thing I might recommend is if there is any chance the vehicle is not roadworthy on a wrecker, tell them to bring a flatbed. I had to help the wrecker driver swap tires from front to back as I wanted the car gone that day!

Thanks in advance.
You could try Bring a Trailer. Somebody on there might want it for parts or for a project.

When my old RAV4 died in my wife's office parking lot, I called a couple junk yard places that buy cars. They got into a little bidding war. First guy offered me $300 and he'd come get it in a day or two. I told him I'd call him back. Next guy said $400 and he'd get it same day. The first guy called back and offered $500 and he'd be there within an hour to get it. They cut me a check and I mailed him the title a day later. No drama transaction.

As others have mentioned, there are certainly people around your area that will come pick it up (title or no title - no comments necessary as it ain't my problem) and give you cash. At least in the cases of actual salvage yards that do this, their primary concern seems to be the catalytic converter. One asked me if my car still had it (yes). Then they asked if was OEM (also yes). Then they start their spiel about the amount they give me may change once their driver evaluates it, so I took their offer as the MAX they'll give.

I ended up calling a local guy that advertises in local FB groups. Told him what the yard offered and he said he'd match it. I signed the title, put it with the key on my porch, and one of his guys came and got it during the day while I was at work. He normally scraps these cars but someone must have saw it and liked it 'cause twice I swear I saw it on the road so I checked Carfax.... Someone registered it about a month after I got rid of it ! 🤣

On mine I quickly googled what an OE cat looks like on my car, and what was on it was not that. Then I found a website saying aftermarket cats are worth significantly less than OE. So I still considered the offer fair and I wanted the car gone. The only thing I might recommend is if there is any chance the vehicle is not roadworthy on a wrecker, tell them to bring a flatbed. I had to help the wrecker driver swap tires from front to back as I wanted the car gone that day!
When my old RAV4 died, the transmission blew and wouldn't go into neutral. The wheels would not spin and they had to drag it onto the flat bed.

When my old RAV4 died in my wife's office parking lot, I called a couple junk yard places that buy cars. They got into a little bidding war. First guy offered me $300 and he'd come get it in a day or two. I told him I'd call him back. Next guy said $400 and he'd get it same day. The first guy called back and offered $500 and he'd be there within an hour to get it. They cut me a check and I mailed him the title a day later. No drama transaction.
The web said to notarize the title but the conwho called said no don’t do that.

The ever changing prices from your experience reminds me of tree removal when it’s blocking the sidewalk and in the neighbors yard. $2800, $2300, $2200, $2000 (booked).

At the 11th hour, $1200 with $100 coupon $1100. Sold!! (And they showed up on a Saturday 19 hours later and did the job well.

Thank you for the ideas.

The car has P0744 (or similar) transmission code. While driving the car jerks horribly and its not worth replacing the transmission.

I am not too sure of the catalytic converter. I don't remember changing it but we bought it pre-owned

I don't think that you ever said what model or what year car it is so I have no idea of it's value. But if it's running then I expect that someone may want it and be willing to repair or replace the transmission. Look it on Craigslist, E-bay or KBB and see what the car is worth in running condition and then subtract the cost of a transmission repair in order to get an idea of what the car is worth As-Is. Most potential buyers will not pay that full amount as they will expect to make a profit on having to deal with the headaches of getting the car repaired but still you should get an idea of what the car MIGHT BE worth.

If you sell it to a junk yard you're just going to get scrap metal value for the car, unless there is something desirable about it or unless it contains some desirable parts. If you sell it to one of the We-Buy-Scrap-Cars places, they will pay even less and will certainly make a profit when they in turn sell it to a junk yard.

There are lots of variables to consider and a lot of ways to potentially sell the car. Selling to a we-buy-any-car company will probably get you the LEAST amount of money but selling to them or to a local junk yard will also involved the least amount of effort on your part. The decisions are up to you.

I used this earlier this year to part with my 1998 Maxima. It was fast, they were ready to come next day. I was supposed to get $600 but first thing they did was to lift the vehicle. A muffler shop had stolen the OE cat about 11 years ago unbeknownst to me until 2023. So my offer was halved to $300.

Was trying to get rid of a 93 Dakota pick up (needed a trans, had 375k miles on the original engine, body and interior was trashed). Listed it on craigslist. Gas was over $4/gal. A guy called about it, arranged to come get it (asking like $200 obo, codes was on my butt). He came 75 miles one way in a Suburban with a trailer, got under it and refused to take it because the cat was gone (I had no idea, it belonged to my sister-in-law's dad before me and I had literally never been underneath it). Offered to just let him have it. Nope, he just drove away, 75 miles back home. Whatever, moron! He would have at least gotten tonnage for it, I had the title and everything. Instead, just wasted $50 in gas! Some people amaze me...😂

Back