Options for Corolla 195/65-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
RT43, Defender T+H, or another set of Contis. It's a Corolla, it needs nothing special. Yokohama Avid Ascends or the Pirelli P4 are worthy contenders.

Michelin CrossClimate+ if you want a no-compromise tire but pricey. It has the best combination of handling, wet & dry braking, and hydroplaning resistance. Look at the TireRack and CR reviews. Otherwise RT43, Michelin Defender T+H. The Defender T+H will cost around the same as the RT 43 after rebates.

The Continental TrueContacts 195/65R15 on my '05 Corolla LE are good to excellent in all ways except treadwear. The 90k mile warranty is a joke. Apart from that the TrueContacts have no weak points. They are T-rated and neither sporty nor squishy. Excellent dry traction, very good wet and snow traction (for an all-season), comfy ride though just a hint of vibration at times, good fuel economy. If you run winter tires and only use them for three seasons, they may last you a long time. But count on closer to 50k miles than 90k....

Thanks to everyone who responded. I had a big long response composed, then my browser decided to dump it. So I'll summarize.....

Tramlining is the tendency for tires to follow grooves, ridges, or other features in the road.

Now I have more research to do. The TrueContacts (all 3 of them, Tour * 2 speeds, and non-Tour) and the Cooper CS5 (both of them, Ultra and Grand) look like front runners.

I didn't even know Hankook made tires in the USA. I'll take a look at that 737, too. (Hmm... no 737 or H737 on tirerack, but their reviewers are not kind to the Kinergy GT). Can't find much in H737 reviews elsewhere.

Heck, I'll look at all the tires mentioned here. Almost all. I want the option of not using the winter tires, especially as they are getting worn and the budget is tight, so I do want to stick with All Seasons. I'll pay for quality, but just not for a name.

I figure I can buy now on closeout, or in 3 months with a rebate. I'll post what/when I get. Until then I'll review any more recommendations.

Hankook's US factory is relatively new. I think it only opened up last year, and Kumho opened up a factory in Georgia last spring
34.gif

IF you want to stop using separate tires for the winter, at least get an all-season with the 3-peak sign, such as:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Nokian WRG4
Toyo Celsius
Michelin CrossClimate+
Goodyear Weatherready

Regular all-season tires won't be anywhere near as good in the snow and winter, especially for someone coming from dedicated winter tires.

Tires in your size don't cost that much, and since you already have the wheels, you might as well keep using snows. The biggest hurdle to using winter tires is acquiring the second set of wheels
smile.gif

I loved my Pirelli P4 on my 2004 Altima 2.5. For this car, they may have been the best tire I have ever owned. I just loved'em and I've said it before in old posts.

They wore like iron, cornered very well for a T speed rated tire, tracked nice & straight on the hiwy, were quiet & smooth, they had great hydroplaning resistance in torrential downpours and went through the snow very well for an all season tire. I just lovd'em...on this car!

Now, will they perform the same on every car? Probably not!

I actually liked the P4's on the Altima better than the Pirelli P7's on the Mazda 3(apples & oranges???). Although the P7's were a good tire as well, there was just something about the P4's that changed the feel(to my liking) of the car. Neither P4 or P7 come in all sizes so, you gotta pick what fits. I'm going with the P7's on this current Altima.

Although Pirelli P4 & P7 get hit hard for their lack of wet traction(TR & CR testing) but, I never noticed and we drive in everything(4 seasons). But, we drive responsibly and not like idiots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by faramir9
This is the Hankook "H737" which succeeded the H727. It's really the Kinergy PT. Confusing naming. And yes, made in USA. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Kinergy+PT

Ah I see. Only 14 reviews but all good, of course at least one useless review ("they arrived today" review marked 1,000 miles). But several mentions of quiet and rain traction. That rings my bell. If I can get a bargain, I might give them a try. I research all my tire purchases, but I'm willing to take more of a risk on trying something new on the Corolla's little 15" wheels, then the truck or the Pilot.

I'm still a bit miffed about the Michelin Primacy MXV4 that was the tire previous to the Conti's on this car. Still thinking about giving Michelin another time-out for that one. Not the worst tire, but a lot of money for a so-so tire, that got noisy and lost rain traction much sooner than I thought a premium tire should.

I see Hankook had a rebate in March of last year, is that a regular thing?

I went with the FordBroncoVWJeta's recommendation and got the Hankook Primacy PT H737's at Walmart, where they are dirt cheap. $257.76 including tax to order 4 of them in, and $54 for unmounting and discarding the PureContacts, mounting and balancing, declined road hazard. I swapped the wheels on and the Winter tires off yesterday, and finally got to take them for a spin (in the rain) today.

Initial impressions are good. We'll see how quiet they are in the dry and on various road surfaces, but already they are much quieter than the Winter tires (that's not a difficult feat), we'll have to wait until there's no rain exactly how quiet they are. Wet braking and hydroplaning tests were impressive. On top of it all they do have a very nice touring tire ride.

It's a little early for a full bore recommendation, but we're off to a good start. Can't complain about the price, either.

Originally Posted by csandste
Have had good (so far) experience with the Walmart only General Exclaim HPX. Seem better than Wally only Goodyear-Kelly brands.

These do not appear to be available in my tire size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back