Opinions on Valvoline Durablend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 4 banger 99 Ford Ranger a total of 60 miles non-highway every day to work (at one point up a very steep mountain) in northern New York, so I'm a bit concerned about my oil choice. I've always used Valvoline Instant Oil Change shops in the past and generally go with Durablend. This will be my first oil change with this truck since I bought it.

A search on this site has brought up some good UOAs and a lackluster VOA, as well as a discussion on the oil using friction modifiers to attain it's performance. Is this true? Would this be a suitable all season oil for me? I don't intend to push the OCIs very far.

Is there really bad oil out there for 5k mile oci? I think not.
I haven't heard of anything bad of Valvoline, I think its all how much are you willing to spend for oil. A lend sounds good to me.

This UOA of a synthetic-blend ( Valvoline Maxlife) was 7,381 miles in a V6, and the oil was still good for continued use.

The Valvoline syn-blends look to be very good oils.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
It's fine. I wouldn't push it past 5k.

It's proven, along with Maxlife, to have TBN retention to at least 7500 miles.

FWIW, I'm using Durablend in our Impala and following the OLM and calling it a day.

I know DuraBlend has been off the radar for a while, but I am using it in our old CRV. DB 5w-20 in a non-back-speced engine. I only have 2k on the oil and it seems to have turned quite dark in what I consider a pretty clean 140k engine. Zero consumption. I'm considering a UOA on it and that's partly what I posted now.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I'm sure Durablend is fine, but would think you could run Maxlife for the same cost and would be better off.

+1 for MaxLife.

I have run durablend (aussie version) 10w-30 in my camry and it worked well, no complaints.

FWIW durablend 10w-30 is API SM ILSAC GF4 API energy conserving (plus some manufacturer approvals)

while conventional valv 10w-30 is only SM / GF-4
(down here)

Most shelf space is ate up by Maxlife and white bottle Valvoline.
Dont see Durablend as much.

Im sure its a great oil, but Id take the Maxlife if its the same money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back