Opinions on Tiny Turbo Charged Engines?

"...Colt..."
ok, thnx, yup durable, low maintainence, low/av cost to own vehicle. Never saw 1 turboed tho. Would be fun to have on the lift if so.

The Galants VR4 were turbo'd. Had a friend that had one. Kind of hilarious looking, a big linebacker sized dude in a small AWD 3200 pound 360hp car. Ran pretty fast but the typical mitsu rust got to it before mechanical issues stopped it.

These little turbo engines have been beefed up to handle the extra power, I read somewhere that Fords 1.0 Ecoboost has a block that's made out of Compacted Graphite Iron.

Yeah, brilliant engine. They're everywhere over on this side of the pond. We call them the Ecoboom.

The reports of engine fires caused from overheating have died down and now seeing a lot of reports of the wet timing belt shredding itself and blocking the oil pickup.

Never saw the sense of having a tiny little turbo 4 banger beating and screaming it's guts out, in order to equal the power and torque of a normally aspirated V-8. Loafing along nice and easy, while producing the same or more power. And I don't care how "outdated" it is, or seems to be.
IIRC in the past and I imagine to some extent it still applies today it's because there's a drive cycle where the engine will be running off boost some of the time therefore much better mpgs vs the "lazy v8". In addition there's less rotating mass which also positively impacts mpgs.

Last edited:
The Neon SRT-4 was a lovely little machine
:love:

2005_dodge_neon_160459290401c1fb4e149ebCE_White_1of41.jpg

..and that's all I gotta say about that!

Never saw the sense of having a tiny little turbo 4 banger beating and screaming it's guts out, in order to equal the power and torque of a normally aspirated V-8. Loafing along nice and easy, while producing the same or more power. And I don't care how "outdated" it is, or seems to be.
The thing is, today's turbo 4 cylinder engines are not operating at high RPM to make adequate torque. The "boost" allows superb mid range torque.

It's the normally aspirated 4 cyl's that tend to buzz away at annoying RPMs while climbing long hills. A Subaru Crosstrek was running 5200 RPM at 70mph on a long NY interstate hill. It destroyed the CVT doing so. That same hill with a Ford Escape Ecoboost runs right around 2300 RPM at 70. And is nearly silent doing so.

The thing is, today's turbo 4 cylinder engines are not operating at high RPM to make adequate torque. The "boost" allows superb mid range torque.

It's the normally aspirated 4 cyl's that tend to buzz away at annoying RPMs while climbing long hills. A Subaru Crosstrek was running 5200 RPM at 70mph on a long NY interstate hill. It destroyed the CVT doing so. That same hill with a Ford Escape Ecoboost runs right around 2300 RPM at 70. And is nearly silent doing so.
I have rented both types and you are correct … CVT continues to annoy me anyway …

The 2.0T in my Regal GS cruises at a tick over 2K at high speeds, no screaming its guts out. :LOL:
1665778755050.jpeg

My Volvo 740 Turbo engine made good power at reasonable revs. On a steep hill you could hear the turbo wind up, but the revs stayed low. And my gosh the torque. My advice - don't try to pass a Volvo 740 Turbo on a steep hill.

And it got really good mileage too (for a large and heavy car in that era). And that's the other advantage of a small turbo engine.

I kept it for 18 1/2 years and 285,000 km. And the engine and the turbo were still going strong 5 years after I sold it. So that additional complication didn't hurt the reliability.

I had the B230E motor, 2.3L, no turbo 740 waggy. That and the 240 wagon each lasted me 20 yrs a piece. The 850 was a POS. IT had the turbo but was 1/2 the car of the other 2. All 3 are in the small motor category for this thread. Stretchin it (2L+ less) tho.

I am really satisfied with my GDI/Turbo Golf in signature.
So far absolutely 0 issues.

It achieves max torque 200 lb-ft @ 1600 RPM.
At 75 MPH it turns slightly over 2200 RPM in 5th gear.
At times I wish the trans. was 6 speed specially on long distance HWY trips.

With full tank of gas (13 gallons), myself and my 32 year old son in it it weights 3,221 lbs. which I checked at the local dump transfer station scale.

Once during my trip to Vegas on 95 I wanted to see how fast it can go. The max speed I reached was 143 MPH.

And most of all the MPG is great. I regularly get between 47-48 if I don't drive like a maniac.

Most of the time I drive it like a NA engine if I keep the RPM below 3,000.
From about 3,100 and up that's when it really comes alive.

Another plus is how easy it is to change oil. Filter cartridge is on top of the engine.
I only use Mityvac to extract the oil so no crawling under the car or using lift.
Entire oil change takes about 10-15 min. and no tools needed.

Would I own V-8 again? Heck no, thanks.

MyGolf.jpg.jpg

I am really satisfied with my GDI/Turbo Golf in signature.
So far absolutely 0 issues.

It achieves max torque 200 lb-ft @ 1600 RPM.
At 75 MPH it turns slightly over 2200 RPM in 5th gear.
At times I wish the trans. was 6 speed specially on long distance HWY trips.

With full tank of gas (13 gallons), myself and my 32 year old son in it it weights 3,221 lbs. which I checked at the local dump transfer station scale.

Once during my trip to Vegas on 95 I wanted to see how fast it can go. The max speed I reached was 143 MPH.

And most of all the MPG is great. I regularly get between 47-48 if I don't drive like a maniac.

Most of the time I drive it like a NA engine if I keep the RPM below 3,000.
From about 3,100 and up that's when it really comes alive.

Another plus is how easy it is to change oil. Filter cartridge is on top of the engine.
I only use Mityvac to extract the oil so no crawling under the car or using lift.
Entire oil change takes about 10-15 min. and no tools needed.

Would I own V-8 again? Heck no, thanks.

View attachment 121175
You sure 5w40's not too thick for that little 4 banger?
Some 0w30 would probably me closer to OEM recommendations and it'll give ya better fuel economy

Back