Opinions on AT fluid coolers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using Redline D4 ATF which is one of the best, if not the best along with my cooler. I cant afford a $2000 Level 3 or 4 4L60E trans right now, so I will do anything cheap I can to extend its life.

I have B&M coolers installed in line after the factory radiator contained coolers in our three family vehicles and believe they help lower the temperature. I have also installed Magnefine in line filters in the vehicles and believe this is a great help in keeping the fluid clean, reducing wear and permitting extended service intervals, especially if using synthetic ATF. Available at www.bulkparts.com or www.emergingent.com

I installed the B&M 24000 GVW cooler on an Olds Ciera V6 3L40 transmission. Before I installed it, you could not touch the lines. After I installed it, you could hold them for several seconds befor getting uncomfortable, and the transmission always shifted more firmly. Not scientific, but you get the idea.

The car now had 161k on it, with the original transmission. GM stopped putting 3L40s behind anything bigger than a 4 cyl, because they are imfamous for failing behind 6s, but mine still shifts better than before the cooler was installed.

Thanks for the opinions. I think I will install one. That in-line filter sounds like a good idea too.

Does anyone know what the line pressure is on an automatic? I'm wondering about those barbed hose fittings, and how well they hold up to the fluid pressure.

Long Mfg. makes a plate cooler with an internal bypass for cold oil. They're marketed under the Long Tru-Cool, Tekonsha, B&M, and other brand names. summitracing.com has them at a good price.
http://www.longmfg.com/web/danahomepage.nsf/webpageview/WebPage_TruCool?OpenDocument

Hayden is another maker, and they're also sold under a plethora of brands.

An ATF cooler is very important for folks who tow--really adds to transmission life.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back