Opinions/advice on tire repair

Well I certainly have zero luck with tires and my streak just continues. Every car I own, every time I buy a new set of tires.... I can not seem to go for long at all without having to make trips for tire repairs. We keep picking up nails! Just spent a nice chunk of money not 7 days ago for a new set of tires for wife's car. She drove it 3-4 days and even took one 140 mile trip in it since _ no poblems. I get in her car on Saturday only to find the TPMS light on! Ugh. Re- calibrated it in the driveway. Well it came right back on for a reason. She has already picked up a big *ss roofing nail in one of them. At least its dead center of the tread area and I always shell out for the road hazard / tire repair packages. I can't wait for airless tires! :rolleyes:

Well I certainly have zero luck with tires and my streak just continues. Every car I own, every time I buy a new set of tires.... I can not seem to go for long at all without having to make trips for tire repairs. We keep picking up nails! Just spent a nice chunk of money not 7 days ago for a new set of tires for wife's car. She drove it 3-4 days and even took one 140 mile trip in it since _ no poblems. I get in her car on Saturday only to find the TPMS light on! Ugh. Re- calibrated it in the driveway. Well it came right back on for a reason. She has already picked up a big *ss roofing nail in one of them. At least its dead center of the tread area and I always shell out for the road hazard / tire repair packages. I can't wait for airless tires! :rolleyes:
2 years-ish :cool:

I like getting tires at Costco just for their 5 year free road hazard warranty which is included with every tire they install.

No Costco near me. That is a great deal. Not many offer that for free.
BJs Wholesale Clubs also offers the free road hazard with installation. But they tend to be a little more money than Costco. Every once in a while they run a decent sale. Otherwise same deal, free rotation, free balancing and free flat repair. I think Sam's club might offer the same thing.

There are driving techniques for avoiding nails and screws to begin with. When driving on the freeway from an on ramp, don't be in a hurry to cross over those solid white lines where lots of small road debris sits. When making turns at a boulevard intersection (ie left turns) watch our for those small dirt/debris patches on the middle ground that often contain small objects (nails/screws) that will puncture the tire.

Over the years I used to get flats because I never thought of this. Now...hardly ever.

There are driving techniques for avoiding nails and screws to begin with. When driving on the freeway from an on ramp, don't be in a hurry to cross over those solid white lines where lots of small road debris sits. When making turns at a boulevard intersection (ie left turns) watch our for those small dirt/debris patches on the middle ground that often contain small objects (nails/screws) that will puncture the tire.

Over the years I used to get flats because I never thought of this. Now...hardly ever.
Totally agree. BUT... Ever try to change or teach anything to your wife about driving or ...... just about anything???? :rolleyes:

Our main problem is there is constant construction and building with folks pulling all of these supply trailers with things hanging off the backs of them all over our roads. They I am sure are the source of a lot of road debris. Just a few months ago the wife hit part of a tool chest that was strewn all across the road. A wrench popped up and jammed itself in the frame and even tore a piece of the plastic/fiber guard under the car. Cost about $120 bucks to remove wrench and replace the torn to pieces guard that goes under her car. UGH.....

Never plug it. Be smart and patch it. Saw way too many comebacks from half ass’d plugs
Just got one of our brand (yes, not even 7 days since) new tires we put on wife's car last Monday repaired yesterday. Put em on last Monday and by Friday she had already picked up a big roofing nail! Ugh... At least dead center. They are warranty covered so the shop put a plug patch in the tire. I used plugs for years but definitely prefer the plug patch repairs if available. There are no big business / franchise shops near me for the last 10 years who will plug a tire. Only the little indie owned shops I know of will do that anymore.

I’d be plugging that myself, then monitor closely for a while. I’ve had good experience plugging, here’s one.

Attachments

• B7C89C6B-B330-43E1-9D98-DF132F9217AF.jpeg
    B7C89C6B-B330-43E1-9D98-DF132F9217AF.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 12
I’d be plugging that myself, then monitor closely for a while. I’ve had good experience plugging, here’s one.
I hear you. I still actually have plug patch kits in my shop cabinets. Used to carry them on vacations for just such emergencies. Its just so! Ugh Brand new!

I always wondered how everyone deals with plugging a tire trying to remove a deck screw with the head worn off, and at angle or a worn off bent nail?
Otherwise, it is all too easy to create a bigger problem, like now you have 2 holes in your tire. That's why, and other reasons I always pull the tire off to repair from the inside.
Most of the tires I've repaired over the last 20 years have been the right rear tire. And then more often than not, that is the tire driven on flat because most people including myself don't always walk around the car and look every time. See people driving around all the time with low right side tires since they only look at the left side, if that. It helps staying out of the debris field on the edges of the road. The front tire stands stuff in the air, and then the rear tire nails it.

I always wondered how everyone deals with plugging a tire trying to remove a deck screw with the head worn off, and at angle or a worn off bent nail?
Otherwise, it is all too easy to create a bigger problem, like now you have 2 holes in your tire. That's why, and other reasons I always pull the tire off to repair from the inside.
Most of the tires I've repaired over the last 20 years have been the right rear tire. And then more often than not, that is the tire driven on flat because most people including myself don't always walk around the car and look every time. See people driving around all the time with low right side tires since they only look at the left side, if that. It helps staying out of the debris field on the edges of the road. The front tire stands stuff in the air, and then the rear tire nails it.
Yeah but with TPMS, it pretty much tells you the tire pressure is low. Mine actually does two things, if it's just a little low, I get a white notice on the dash about low pressure, when there's a nail and it's really low, you get a red notice.

exctluy what repair guy told me. The front tire kicks the nail up and it perfect timing for the back to run right over it.

Diagonal cutting pliers will grab what's left. It's abusive to the tool but you can throw a $2 HF version in with your plug kit.

They're also great to have for shortening the leftover plug that's sticking out.

Back