Opinion on new HVAC price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Schmoe
They offered to try and find the leak, but geesh, a leak that small....wouldn't it be a PITA to find? The last leak it had was actually outside where the copper tubing does a 180 degree bend. The sheet metal that was holding all the tubes had rubbed a hole in that tubing. Luckily it was noticeable and was able to weld it back and hold a vacuum. To me, it seems that it's a omen for things to come.

They have dies that can be added to the charge and found with a UV light. It's not rocket science and the guy you apparently trust should have no problem doing it and I'm surprised he hasn't offered it. This tells me just what kind of pro he really is.

But if you're ready to fork over $5-$8k for a new system, that may or may not work properly afterwards, because new systems usually don't play well with old ductwork unless properly matched. And what tech is going to that when they really want to upsell the SEER and tonnage and want to replace an entire system when there is a small leak?

Last edited:
Getting prices you have to compare apples to apples. Seer factor on the condensing unit, is the ac coil in its factory cabinet or will they be making their own. Gas furnace have to look at efficiency also ask if there will be furnace filter in the return (return preferred) or in the furnace. If your considering a very high seer unit that lowers the amount of service people that really understands that type of system no different that finding someone to work on a BMW.

He did offer to try and spot the leak, but I told him I wasn't interested thinking a new HVAC would run around 5-6K. I'm saved up for that. Going to call him back and then see what all can be done. After reading about that stop leak stuff and as little as this system is leaking, that sure has my attention. But I seriously doubt he'd be all for it.

Get AT LEAST THREE quotes to install a new system. and make sure to compare apples to apples. There is a HUGE markup in HVAC equipment, and a big difference between the skills of the installing techs.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
They have dies that can be added to the charge and found with a UV light. It's not rocket science and the guy you apparently trust should have no problem doing it and I'm surprised he hasn't offered it. This tells me just what kind of pro he really is.

My mechanic did that to my leaky AC, turns out a pipe has a pinhole, nothing rubbing, just popped one day. He said it was very rare and never saw that before. If my mechanic only charge me $100 to check for the leak it should be quite cheap to do it for a home.

R22 might be expensive on the other hand, aren't they already "banned"?

In 2011 I installed a 3 ton for $2400, with existing piping in the house, just added compressor / condenser outside and evaporator on top of my furnace.

R22 is readily available. Fix the leak and charge it up. Demand for R22 is small there's a lot of the reclaimed stuff out there.

If you think the price is high, get 2 more quotes. It's the only way you'll know if what was quoted you is high. The one thing I learned from another online forum regarding HVAC systems is the installer is as important than the unit you are buying. I would let the installer quote you the unit they are licensed to install. Just make sure you comparing size and efficiency.

I believe starting in 2020, the only available R22 will come from existing stockpiles, meaning a huge mark up. I live in a small town, only 3 contractors available and serve different manufacturers....American Standard, Trane and Lennox. Problem with small towns....Trane owner is a PITA. My neighbor across the street, almost exact same size house and all, got a new Trane system installed two years ago and just told me he paid 8K for his. Lennox doesn't have a great reputation for service around here and are known to be pricey. The only closer installation contractors are about 40 miles north, in Oklahoma City.

My younger sister just got a new American Standard furnace and air conditioner a few weeks ago. It was $6400 installed.
American Standard is Trane for those who don't know.

That was for a 97% two stage furnace with variable speed blower and a 17 SEER air conditioner. It achieves 17 SEER with the correct furnace and a expansion valve.
A new coil and line set was also installed and a new outdoor breaker was installed along with wiring, a filter on the AC line and the plastic piping for the intake & exhaust and a new thermostat.

She said the installer was a father and son and it looks like they did a very good job. The outdoor unit is very quiet. She was quoted $6000 for a less efficient American Standard unit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Isn't that along the same lines with automobile leak sealers that we've all said no to before?

Mobile A/C is different from residential. Why can you buy a window air conditioner for $100 but the compressor alone on a car is $200-$300? Boils down to, what have you got to lose? If it doesn't work you will replace everything anyway.

Originally Posted by rshaw125
R22 is readily available. Fix the leak and charge it up. Demand for R22 is small there's a lot of the reclaimed stuff out there.

I'm sure it will go up...thanks, EPA! I know my uncle bought a big tank of R-22 for his A/C system last year.

THIS is why I have absolutely zero interest in central A/C.

I think that's a high price compared to FL prices at least, 10 year warranty comes with every brand now days, it's not like he is doing you a favor.
The free maintenance is just a tool for them to come to your house and sell you bells and whistles you don't need.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by rshaw125

I'm sure it will go up...thanks, EPA! I know my uncle bought a big tank of R-22 for his A/C system last year.

THIS is why I have absolutely zero interest in central A/C.

There's loads of reclaimed R22 out there. No where to use it. A friendly HVAC tech may top off your old system with some. A jug of reclaimed R22 is cheap.

If the only problem with the system is that it's losing the charge, why not get a quote to fix the leak? It should not be a big deal for a pro to find it and seal it up.

The hard part will be finding a contractor willing to do this, because it's more profitable for them to sell you a whole new system.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
If the only problem with the system is that it's losing the charge, why not get a quote to fix the leak? It should not be a big deal for a pro to find it and seal it up.

The hard part will be finding a contractor willing to do this, because it's more profitable for them to sell you a whole new system.

Well, if you try do it with the cooling season just getting into the full swing, then I agree, it will be hard to find a contractor willing to do this.
But OP seems to have known about the leak for some time and I bet during off season there shouldn't br any problems finding a willing contractor.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Get AT LEAST THREE quotes to install a new system. and make sure to compare apples to apples. There is a HUGE markup in HVAC equipment, and a big difference between the skills of the installing techs.

Yep.

Installation is important to get the most from an A/C system.

14 seer Trane gas furnace/A/C unit (combined unit) replaced two years ago for 4,500 installed with 10 year parts warranty no labor beyond first year. A 16 seer trane 3 ton heat pump replaced last year, 4,300 Shop around,. The difference between my highest and lowest price was over 1,500 for the exact same unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back