Opinion: New Summer Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the purchase of a gently used car to be driven in the non snow months in Michigan. I went from an 02 530i BMW, that we put 120k miles on and loved (sold with 205k miles) to a 2011 Mustang, Premium package V6 (305 HP) that only had only 26k miles on it. While the Mustang has a lot to offer, and it's very nice looking, it's a bit too stiff and makes driving 400 miles in a day a bit too much. Something a bit more luxury would likely suit us better. We only average about 5k miles a year on the summer car and it doesn't need to be all weather capable though I wouldn't shy away from an AWD. Would like to keep the cost at $25,000 or less, miles under 50k, dependable and a 0-60 time under 6 seconds
grin.gif
. A quick search in that price range locally found 2015-2016 BMW 2,3 or 4 Series, 2016 Mercedes Benz C Class & E Class. Any other suggestions? I guess this goes without saying, but I'd like to be able to change the oil on the car myself
grin2.gif

Our lexus GS is a wonderful car. $20K should gt you a 2013 or 2014 with 50 to 70K miles.
You will love it.

Last edited:
I love my 2 Series. When I worked at BMW I drove the 228i and it was also a lot of fun. If I went with a 3er or 4er I'd want the I6, but the I4 is a good fit in the 2er.

One thing I've noticed about BMW's in the past is that they don't have the most luxurious interiors. They use to focus on driving dynamics.
It seems the interiors have improved a bit on the newest BMW's but their driving dynamics have been softened.

I'm going to be laughed out of the room on this one. One of the more comfortable cars you can buy is a AWD V6 Buick Regal GS. It does a 0-60 in 5.4 seconds.
It's made in Germany. Of course when Buick started making an actual drivers car, it isn't selling well.

Other manufactures have improved their interiors and driving dynamics.
For a few more dollars, you could buy a brand new Honda Accord Sport 2.0 or a VW GLI. Both will do 0-60 under 6 seconds, have a balanced ride and handling and will please you unless your
stuck with a brand mentality.

Check out the Kia Stinger GT. It's comfortable, fast, and AWD! 3.3 dual turbo...GL

My Buddy sold his Dodge Challenger R/T and bout a lightly used BMW 5 series AWD with the turbo 4.

He say it has all the power he needs and is the most comfortable car he has ever owned. It was in the mid teens cost wise.

50 - 90 MPH acceleration is where you want the juice. Most cars will do 6 - 8 seconds 0-60. Big deal. Even my Lease Jetta 1.4 T is in the 7 second range with the stick on a good day.

You want the passing power.

Last edited:
I actually had a 97 Regal GS with the Super Charged 3.8 and that was a really nice car! It went pretty good too!

Great suggestions everyone, thanks you!

Our primary car is a 2015 Chevy Sonic & it is fine in town .

My wife and I are both on the large size . It gets cramped inside on long drives . In 2017 we were looking for a larger car , inside for road trips and limited in town use .

We ended up finding a 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l with 37,000 on the odometer . $ 6,250 , out the door . W/ good tires .

I immediately changed the plastic coolant elbows , tstat , heater / radiator hoses , hood struts . Purchased a belt , but the old one looked fine . Added a gallon of DEXCOOL 100% .

Latter , used the turkey baster on brake fluid and a different turkey baster on the power steering fluid . Used a HF plastic transfer pump to suck out 4 quarts of ATF & replaced with 4 quarts of DEXRON 6 .

So far , we have been very pleased with it . :) Recommend you consider something like this .

Originally Posted by glock19
$25k could get you a 1-2 year old Cadillac CTS with 20-30k miles.

And 1-2 years later that CTS would be worth 15K

Originally Posted by ad244
Originally Posted by glock19
$25k could get you a 1-2 year old Cadillac CTS with 20-30k miles.

And 1-2 years later that CTS would be worth 15K

The other choices were German luxury cars... I don't think value retention is of great importance here.

For a summer car, look into convertible 3 series or an A4. If you are going to have a seasonal car, you might as well enjoy the good weather.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Of course when Buick started making an actual drivers car, it isn't selling well.

That's because most people don't think of Buick when looking for a sporty car. I think Buick is trying to change their image and hoping to attract somewhat younger crowd, but so far with little success.

With that said, I agree that Regal GS is worth a look. You can get them at a hefty discount just because they're not selling well.

The TourX is another hidden gem at a good price point, alas no V6 option available in this one.

Originally Posted by edvanp
I went from an 02 530i BMW, that we put 120k miles on and loved (sold with 205k miles) to a 2011 Mustang, Premium package V6 (305 HP) that only had only 26k miles on it...Something a bit more luxury would likely suit us better. A quick search in that price range locally found 2015-2016 BMW 2,3 or 4 Series, 2016 Mercedes Benz C Class & E Class.

Considering you enjoyed the BMW and want sporty yet comfy, I'd recommend also looking at the Lexus GS/Buick GS.
Both offer the comfort your looking for, as well as a bit of performance.

Well I'm a fan of the E-Class. 2016 would be the last year for the 3.5 V6 with 302hp, they went to a 4 cylinder turbo as their base model in 2017. One of the things I liked about Mercedes was that it was easy to figure out what options the car has once you have the vin number, somehow most dealers have no clue what options the car really has, you see them advertised as having leather when in fact lots of them just have MB-tex which is really a vinyl that looks like leather. Anyway, I have a 2011, they're very smooth and quiet.

at that price range, if i could ever get him to actually TRY to sell the car he readily admits he needs to, My Brother has a (factory) blacked out (paint, tint, forged wheels, cloth Hounds tooth interior) 2015 Challenger R/T Plus. with the Super Track Pack.
less than 3k original miles.(he did finally change the oil last summer)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back