Opening oil filter boxes in stores....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I check everything as well. I even opened up a box to check a vacuum over last weekend and assembled it in the store to determine if I liked it or not. I did purchase it, but since they didn't have a display, I felt obligated to determine if I wanted it before I bought it.

The only crazy thing I have noticed about filters has been rust. I checked probably a dozen Napa Gold filters and noticed rust on all but 4 at a local Napa store.

I hardly get any odd looks when observing filters from the auto parts stores. I do sometimes get a few stares at other places. Typically they just observe until I put it back in the box. However, I can understand their concern.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
EdiT: kinda like the looks you get from the neighbors in a nice neighborhood when you...

E. Open the hood at all

I have one neighbor who watches every time I have the hood open. But seeing as how they're the type to contract out ALL their household chores (seriously, everything from cleaning to lawn service to pet care to Christmas decorating gets sub'd out to various "services") they'd never even realize their own cars come with that weird flat "door" on the front of them like mine does.

Originally Posted By: css9450
EdiT: kinda like the looks you get from the neighbors in a nice neighborhood when you...

E. Open the hood at all

I have one neighbor who watches every time I have the hood open. But seeing as how they're the type to contract out ALL their household chores (seriously, everything from cleaning to lawn service to pet care to Christmas decorating gets sub'd out to various "services") they'd never even realize their own cars come with that weird flat "door" on the front of them like mine does.

lol.gif

I have a middle aged couple that live next to me like this. Their kids are grown and visit once/month or so.

Everything is contracted to someone else.

They do not even carry in their own trash cans! I'm SERIOUS.

They look at me with disgust when I'm outside working on something. They even watch me out their windows when I mow the lawn.

I had the driveway concrete cut before I moved in to my house because it was over the property line and they came over to question me on if I was going to put some fill dirt where the concrete was because "we do not have anyone in our house that can do that kind of thing."
smirk2.gif

I was nice about it and did it, but I could have said nope - not on my property so who cares?

On the same note, I noticed they drive a Lexus sedan and a SUV, but have a newer model Silverado just "sitting" on the other side of their drive. I've seen them drive it twice in a year. I've always wondered why people like this require a SUV or truck?
21.gif

I think it's creepy when neighbors sit and watch everything you do. I don't understand their motivation for watching others perform boring tasks. Distrust/paranoia? Cheap entertainment?

I once bought an oil filter with no threads! So now I open the box and check all oil filters to make sure they have threads.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
I think it's creepy when neighbors sit and watch everything you do. I don't understand their motivation for watching others perform boring tasks. Distrust/paranoia? Cheap entertainment?
I find it entertaining. Next time I'm watching, just give me a friendly wave!

Originally Posted By: Patman
I always open the box to make sure someone didn't put a cheaper one in there. It happened to me once when I....

Ditto. I learned my lesson after buying a K&N filter for the Triumph and starting an oil change. After draining the sump I found that the K&N box contained an STP filter that didn't even fit my app. I ended up walking to the nearest AutoZone to buy an oil filter.

I check the boxes now to make sure they contain the proper part, but I still cannot bring myself to line up a bunch of filters and blow on them to see whether the ADBV holds tight.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
I find it entertaining. Next time I'm watching, just give me a friendly wave!

Ha, a wave would certainly test how friendly those neighbors really are.

Opening filters in a store is no big deal. Have looks before but, not anymore. Employees know me and know my routine. If someone asks or hassles you. Tell them I bought a filter here before with a huge gouge or dent on it. Want to make sure I don't get another inferior filter. Promise you, they will leave you alone. You have to look from the store's view. They get kids and people trying to rip them off everyday. Putting a premium filter in a cheaper filter box is probably done all the time especially in Wally World.

Neighbors staring at you is not unusual due, to smell from the fluids especially differential fluid. If the neighbors have pets like dogs or kids. You draining the coolant is jeopardizing their loved ones due to toxicity. You have to look at it in their eyes. I drain everything in a separate container and give it to local repair shop to dispose of. I still get not just looks. I have gotten people sneezing, making funny noises,cursing under their breath, and even a parent telling his infant Son. "Stay away from him. He has Armor All. It's toxic! Do you hear me!"-to his Son.

I do admit it is aggravating when you can smell the neighbors' painting their trim for their house or running their RC cars.I just turn a blind eye. Live and let live.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: css9450

E. Open the hood at all

I...they'd never even realize their own cars come with that weird flat "door" on the front of them like mine does.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
The workers thought you were going to put a more expensive filter into a cheaper oil filter box.

BINGO! Lots of low-lifes do this with whatever they can....not just oil filters.

I was once asked what I was doing while I was opening the filter boxes. I told that person that I was checking to make sure that the part# on the box matched the part# on the filter and also that nobody did a switch-aroo. But today, Im known at the parts stores where I shop. I say "HELLO" to all who are working there! If there is a new face in the store, the other employee's introduce that person to me.

I was at Pepboys Thursday afternoon looking at the Purolator oil filters for my mom 2002 Isuzu Axiom. I opened the Classic, Pureone, and Proline boxes to compare quality and price. Nobody never said anything to me about looking and opening boxes lol! I also do the same when Im at my local walmart in the automotive department. They give me a crazy look but I'll ignore it and move on with life lol.

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
I was at Pepboys Thursday afternoon looking at the Purolator oil filters for my mom 2002 Isuzu Axiom. I opened the Classic, Pureone, and Proline boxes to compare quality and price. Nobody never said anything to me about looking and opening boxes lol! I also do the same when Im at my local walmart in the automotive department. They give me a crazy look but I'll ignore it and move on with life lol.

I always open and look at my filters and no one's ever given me a crazy look. Hopefully most people know it's standard practice to inspect it for dents before you buy it.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back