Opening oil filter boxes in stores....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always check for defects and proper part number. Found a dented can once... Never got any dirty looks.

I remember a thread here where someone said they checked the ADBV by blowing into the filter. Now, THAT is weird!

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
I remember a thread here where someone said they checked the ADBV by blowing into the filter. Now, THAT is weird!

I do that; I've never gotten any funny looks. The only time anyone ever commented on it was at AutoZone in San Mateo where an employee said that he does it too.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i not only open the box i look at the case i look at the threads i run my finger inside, i smell it i also check the anti drainback valve by blowing into it... I did that tonight i also noticed the classic purolator smells a little different and also they all seem to be a little sticky.. And yes i try to do it when nobody is watching but im sur security gets a good laugh... My friends wont buy filters when im with them..

All that... and shake it too.... really hard. One must be sure it doesn't rattle.

Most retail sales clerks NEED good entertainment. I'm more than happy to help them out.

Last year, I was at a Pep Boys and discovered an empty Mobil 1 oil filter box on the shelf. I gave it to an employee, who said people would indeed try to stick expensive filters in another filter box to get them cheaper. The manager in Florida who kicked the guy out when he caught him doing it? He's my hero.

I always check a filter before I buy it, including running my finger over the threads to make sure there are no burrs. If it's wrappen in plastic, I just have a really good look at the threads in the light.

Quote:
Because I can understand why the store staff might be suspicious I take the unopened box up to the register and tell the cashier that I am just taking the filter out of the box to check to make sure it is in go condition with no defects....if there is a problem I just have the guy go back to the shelf and get another part..

Ditto!!
thumbsup2.gif

I ALWAYS open the box to verify the filter is the way I like it (i.e. no recent supplier design changes). Based on what I'm reading here, I guess to verify the filter inside matches the box. I suppose they'll start sealing the boxes.

At the Napa and Carquest stores where I get my oil filters the filters are stored back in the warehouse area. The counter guy has to go get them from the shelf. When I pay for them I open each box to be sure there are no problems with the filters. Never had any problems or strange looks yet.

Probably once a week I will go out in the parking lot at work during the last break of the day or the last few minutes of my lunch hour and check my oil, look at my serpentine belt, and give it a good but quick visual once-over under the hood. I always check my truck at home every weekend too.

I even go so far as to always park in the same parking space at work, to help keep an eye out for any leaks. I have to park a good ways away from the office building to get that same spot every day, but I don't mind. It's a good thing to do for my peace of mind and is just one more way I take good care of my truck.

And yes I smell the oil on the dipstick too. I am looking for the smell of fuel, checking for metal particles in the oil or on the dipstick or anything else out of the ordinary. The people at my office are very likely oblivious to that fact though. Those who have seen me probably just think I am strange I guess.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I'm sure most of us have all before we bought a filter opened the box to look at it. Well, I've found that it gets me strange looks from the people in the store, like I've lost my mind. They just don't understand. I did once and the service guy watched me the entire rest of the time I was in the store, like he thought I was going to steal something....

EdiT: kinda like the looks you get from the neighbors in a nice neighborhood when you...

A. Sniff the dipstick
B. smell the new oil
C. Change your own oil
D. Change transmission fluid
E. Open the hood at all
F. replace the tranny and have the old one sitting on jack stands in the driveway while work is being done. (Jeep)

i got also sometimes strange looks when i open the box to look at the oil filter,i just want to make sure that it is the right filter im buying,i pretty much check and open the boxes if i buy air filter or spark plugs, etc...

years ago i left my car to the service place to change the spark plugs,i asked the guy if he knows the right spark plugs for my car,he said "yes, i know,i got service manual where i can check the correct plugs" after that my car was not running like it use to be,i found out later that the guy put the wrong plugs in my car,the number in the spark plugs were not the right one.my car is -92 firebird,and the guy put the spark plugs in my car that is used in v8 chevy vans.
mad.gif

i decided to change the spark plugs myself and since that,i have been trying to do all the work i can to the car myself,like change the oil and stuff like that.

Who cares what anyone thinks? Not me. If they have an issue with me opening the box and inspecting the filters, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Always a good practice to check filters, oil and air, before purchase.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Who cares what anyone thinks? Not me. If they have an issue with me opening the box and inspecting the filters, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Always a good practice to check filters, oil and air, before purchase.

+1 I check them, in fact if I return a filter they open the box and check them too.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
His driveway and spot on the street where he parks surely are going to be designated as a superfund site any day now...

LOL, I always thought of my own driveway as a superfund site too.

I remember a few years back I was buying a ST for my Jeep. Some old timer came up to me and told me "You would ruin your engine if you used that chinese peice of [censored]." Even though it said made in USA on it, he still claimed it was really chinese. He then proceeded to get a OCOD off the shelf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back