Open Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I don't open carry because I don't feel like drawing unnecessary attention to myself. Even though open carry is perfectly legal if you have a permit to carry, there have been plenty of cases of someone freaking out and calling 911 because "OMG there's a guy with a gun", prompting a large police response and sending places into lockdown. All this because they can't understand that someone walking around with a gun in a holster and minding their own business is not someone who you need to be worried about.

Then you have the places that put up "We ban guns on these premises" signs. If I'm carrying concealed I can simply ignore their stupid sign.

So you insist others follow rules, even if they don't agree with them. But for you, it's different?

Originally Posted By: Danh
I don't open carry because I don't feel like drawing unnecessary attention to myself. Even though open carry is perfectly legal if you have a permit to carry, there have been plenty of cases of someone freaking out and calling 911 because "OMG there's a guy with a gun", prompting a large police response and sending places into lockdown. All this because they can't understand that someone walking around with a gun in a holster and minding their own business is not someone who you need to be worried about.

Then you have the places that put up "We ban guns on these premises" signs. If I'm carrying concealed I can simply ignore their stupid sign.

So you insist others follow rules, even if they don't agree with them. But for you, it's different?

I didn't see a problem with his post? Of course most folks want a civilized, law abiding society. But as you know, that's a fairy-tale impossibility. Most people know that there are good people in society, as well as the criminal element.

And of course, if I see a "no guns" sign on a building, I ignore it and walk right in with my gun. Why? Because its legal to do so in Florida where I live. You see, public buildings are just that, public. Where the public can congregate. And as such, the public is made up of good and bad characters. So any request by the building owner to not carry guns, is simply considered by me and others to be a juvenile, irresponsible request, with no fact or reason behind it. Ignore it I will. And the anti folks will not know that there a guy next to them carrying a concealed firearm, UNLESS a serious emergency transpires. In which case, they would probably be glad that I ignored the sign and was there.

"No guns" signs are put up by people that lack any sort of critical thinking skills. Assuming the sign doesn't carry the weight of law in your state, I would advise most folks to ignore such signs.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I didn't see a problem with his post? Of course most folks want a civilized, law abiding society. But as you know, that's a fairy-tale impossibility. Most people know that there are good people in society, as well as the criminal element.

And of course, if I see a "no guns" sign on a building, I ignore it and walk right in with my gun. Why? Because its legal to do so in Florida where I live. You see, public buildings are just that, public. Where the public can congregate. And as such, the public is made up of good and bad characters. So any request by the building owner to not carry guns, is simply considered by me and others to be a juvenile, irresponsible request, with no fact or reason behind it. Ignore it I will. And the anti folks will not know that there a guy next to them carrying a concealed firearm, UNLESS a serious emergency transpires. In which case, they would probably be glad that I ignored the sign and was there.

"No guns" signs are put up by people that lack any sort of critical thinking skills. Assuming the sign doesn't carry the weight of law in your state, I would advise most folks to ignore such signs.

The poster I responded to lives in Minnesota where businesses are allowed to prohibit firearms on their premises. Failure to comply is a petty misdemeanor. So, if he demands others respect his right, they should expect the same of him.

Last edited:
The poster I responded to lives in Minnesota where businesses are allowed to prohibit firearms on their premises. Failure to comply is a petty misdemeanor. So, if he demands others respect his right, they should expect the same of him.

Should all laws be followed? Are all laws just and reasonable? Are there laws that infringe on freedom, that perhaps would be ruled unconstitutional if reviewed by a competent court?

-Illegal for women to vote until 1920.
-African Americans effectively couldn't vote until the 1965 voting rights act
-interracial marriage illegal until 1967 Supreme Court case in most southern states

Easily, you can see that in different time periods of American history, perhaps to include even modern day (right now!), there are laws on the books, that shouldn't be. It took a lot of civil disobedience to change many of them. If someone disagrees with a sign, and sees it as infringing on their right, guaranteed by the US constitution, then I fault them none if they practice a little civil disobedience.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Should all laws be followed? Are all laws just and reasonable? Are there laws that infringe on freedom, that perhaps would be ruled unconstitutional if reviewed by a competent court?

-Illegal for women to vote until 1920.
-African Americans effectively couldn't vote until the 1965 voting rights act
-interracial marriage illegal until 1967 Supreme Court case in most southern states

Easily, you can see that in different time periods of American history, perhaps to include even modern day (right now!), there are laws on the books, that shouldn't be. It took a lot of civil disobedience to change many of them. If someone disagrees with a sign, and sees it as infringing on their right, guaranteed by the US constitution, then I fault them none if they practice a little civil disobedience.

You know, you're absolutely right: not allowing African Americans to vote is of exactly the same gravity as not allowing someone to bring a firearm into an upscale restaurant.

That statement is incorrect. Here in MN it is perfectly legal to carry into an establishment that bans guns on their premises. If they become aware that you are carrying, they may ask you to leave. If you fail to leave after being asked to do so, then you are committing a petty misdemeanor.

Here is the State statute.

You know, you're absolutely right: not allowing African Americans to vote is of exactly the same gravity as not allowing someone to bring a firearm into an upscale restaurant.

And why should a public restaurant have any say whether or not I bring a concealed firearm into their premises? Especially considering no one knows it is there as its concealed properly, and causes no alarm? Does putting a "no guns" sign up on the exterior of the building make its patrons safer. Does it?

Ideally, the 6.2 percent of the adult population of Florida that has a conceal carry permit would let the owner know that they would take their business elsewhere. A 6.2% drop in business would kill practically every business in America.

That statement is incorrect. Here in MN it is perfectly legal to carry into an establishment that bans guns on their premises. If they become aware that you are carrying, they may ask you to leave. If you fail to leave after being asked to do so, then you are committing a petty misdemeanor.

Here is the State statute.

A couple of things on that-

1. Even if the sign is posted, as you said, you still have to be asked to leave

2. The law spells out specific wording for the signs to carry any weight at all

"No guns" signs are a tricky business. In Kentucky, they only carry the force of law on certain government buildings-otherwise all that be done is to ask you to leave.

I know that Texas has the so-called "30.06" sign which has to be bilingual, prominently displayed in contrasting colors with a minimum font size, and contain very specific wording in order to carry the force of law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back