Open Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: BalticBob
People in public are so unaware of their surroundings, a criminal event would happen and seven witnesses would have seven different versions.

Very true. All this nonsense about people "noticing" you open carrying is ridiculous. In reality this is what you have out there today.

Haha I bet she was in the middle of taking a duckface selfie or omg'ing on her self-important social media page when she "went swimming",classic!

So, you are an advocate of gun violence toward others?
Sad, so sad.

So its the gun that is violent? Oh..now I understand.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The posts here where people are saying "no permit needed",are these states constitutional carry,or do you still have to have some kind've chl?

Constitutional carry. If you aren't a prohibited possessor you can come to Arizona and strap on your six shooter western style or conceal your favorite plastic fantastic to your heart's content. No note from the principal needed. There is still a concealed permit if you want to carry in reciprocal states. There is also no duty to inform law enforcement you have a weapon unless asked. That's another whole debate right there.

I would think the presence of a holstered open carry pistol would deter a crime not promote it. You guys give these shooters way to much bravery. They don't look for fights, they look for targets that aren't going to have any chance.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I would think the presence of a holstered open carry pistol would deter a crime not promote it. You guys give these shooters way to much bravery. They don't look for fights, they look for targets that aren't going to have any chance.

Someone a bit ago mentioned a shooter running away when he saw half a dozen people moving to draw a concealed weapon.

If moving in the general direction of where a gun MIGHT be concealed(somewhere around the waistband, on the ankle, etc) is enough to send a guy running, how would the same react to seeing a holstered gun that takes even less time to draw?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I have mixed feelings for licenses to carry. On one hand I feel that we should not be asking and paying the government to give us "permission" for a right we already have. But I do like that most states require training and training is a must in my opinion to carry a firearms in public.

Interesting thing about Arizona and government permission/training to carry, a few years ago Arizona did away with the concealed permit, anyone from any state legal to own a firearm now are legal to carry open or concealed. There was much hand wringing and claims of the impending explosion of shootings anywhere and everywhere. Nothing different happened. Nothing. The media waited for weeks to report on the rash of new shootings and it just didn't happen.

You can't have something be a right and have to have training/license to exercise that right. Yes I see people open carrying who I question what their ability might be but there's no way to know that.

I couldn't agree more. That is why I said I have mixed feelings on the issue. You cannot mandate training without some way infringing on those rights....

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I did open carry on the Dallas Police for 32 years. Never again. My weapon is always concealed. I want the element of surprise and don't want everyone staring at my weapon. I was a big blue target for a long time.
Thank you for your service!

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Don't need a permit in CO for open carry.

There was a mass shooting in a Walmart in Thornton, CO a couple of months ago. Guy walks in, starts shooting. Kills three. Abruptly leaves. When the the video was reviewed, it showed half a dozen shoppers pulled concealed weapons, when they realized what was happening. That is when the shooting stopped, and the guy bailed. SOME in local law enforcement believe these people stopped a major tragedy.

What does this prove? Nothing. But, you could make the point a show of force could prevent something. I think most(all) mass shooters are cowards, and if looks like they would be shut down before starting, a lot of these things wouldn't happen. And even if they did start, it would end fast.

Did not hear about this video on lamestream media, but no surprise, it would go against their agenda.
Many of the mass shooters commit suicide. What happened at the church in Texas is a good example of a mass shooter coward.
And a great example of armed citizenry being the first responders.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Someone a bit ago mentioned a shooter running away when he saw half a dozen people moving to draw a concealed weapon.

If moving in the general direction of where a gun MIGHT be concealed(somewhere around the waistband, on the ankle, etc) is enough to send a guy running, how would the same react to seeing a holstered gun that takes even less time to draw?

Some posts on here would have you believe that a "bad guy" would walk around looking for anyone with a open carry, neutralize that threat, and then do whatever dastardly deed they had in mind.
crazy.gif

even where legal i would o.c. only in rural areas far from worried looks. that said, o.c. may be useful to avoid being tagged for a wardrobe malfunction while lawfully c.c.

The more open carry the better. The more common it becomes the less pantywaists are likely to make an issue of it. More open carry would be a huge deterrent to any coward about to perpetrate a heinous act. What was the old saying about cigarettes “smoke em if ya got em” I say “Open carry if you got em”

Some posts on here would have you believe that a "bad guy" would walk around looking for anyone with a open carry, neutralize that threat, and then do whatever dastardly deed they had in mind.
crazy.gif

You have an overactive imagination.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's legal here, but I wouldn't do it ... attracts too much unwanted attention.
100% agree. The only person that should know you are carrying is you.

Originally Posted By: jstert
even where legal i would o.c. only in rural areas far from worried looks. that said, o.c. may be useful to avoid being tagged for a wardrobe malfunction while lawfully c.c.

Don't have to worry about "printing" here. Not against the law.

I don't have a problem with other people open carrying, it's just not for me. I've noticed the looks that OC people get while the same people raising their eyebrows have no idea I'm concealed carrying in the same environment. Vanity might play a part in some of the OC people. IDK.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Vanity might play a part in some of the OC people. IDK.

Vanity, machoism, "its my right". Probably sums a lot of it..but obviously not all. There are no studies one way or another that I am aware of so I am merely speculating.

Originally Posted By: Al

Vanity, machoism, "its my right". Probably sums a lot of it

And, as is often the case, your ignorance is showing.

"They're not doing it my way so there has to be some problem with the person"

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

Vanity, machoism, "its my right". Probably sums a lot of it

And, as is often the case, your ignorance is showing.

"They're not doing it my way so there has to be some problem with the person"

When did I say those things are a "problem" you must think it is since "you" mentioned it.

You think its wrong to be vain, macho, or believe in 2A? I don't.

Last edited:

crazy.gif

You have an overactive imagination.

Read what he wrote again, Al. It's not Bob with the active imagination.

Something nobody is talking about is carrying concealed slows down the presentation compared to open carry. You can practice and speed it up but practice can speed up open presentation too. A valid question is do you worry about what some people thing or getting your weapon on target as quickly as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back