Open Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to open carry in Pennsylvania and it was no big deal but then it was in the mountains where everyone is used to guns. I didn't all the time only when we went dirt bike or ATV riding and it was more for animals. I carried a Makarov, so it wasn't a big gaudy gun.
Still it's the culture up there. Guns in gun racks in the rear window mentality.
When I was up there this summer visiting I saw several guys walk in the store with a gun on, no one even notices.
Down here in Florida every one is hyped up on gun violence, scared old people, people from big cities migrated used to draconian laws. Down here I can see people freaking out still it should be a Constitution right and no state should be allowed to restrict it. I always said I don't care who has a gun as long as I have one.

Last edited:
Currently Indiana. We've moved a lot for work, seven states now. Had a license to carry in all but Illinois. Back then they didn't offer one.

My experience as an LEO for a few different agencies is this. Open carry I fully support if done properly and responsibly the same as concealed carry. If you are a law abiding citizen I believe you should to protect you and yours. I carry concealed off duty, but who am I to tell you how you should do it?

The idea that "everyone" is going to see their gun is FALSE, not always but most people just are not that observant to notice a firearm that is being carried on someones hip just walking through a store. And if they do as long as it is not strapped on like you're on some SWAT team with it hanging half way down your leg and in some simple leather holster, most people think you are supposed to have it and pay it no more attention. While carrying YOU think everyone is seeing it, but they are not.

Most people that are seen and noticed as open carrying are usually doing so with rifles slung across their back, which serves no purpose since it cannot be accessed fast enough for defense, but that is a different argument all together.

I have mixed feelings for licenses to carry. On one hand I feel that we should not be asking and paying the government to give us "permission" for a right we already have. But I do like that most states require training and training is a must in my opinion to carry a firearms in public.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
I open carry.
It's legal in Texas.
Never been "hassled" by LE.
Don't be scared of the gawkers.
I DO want people to know I am armed.

I like people like you. They will shoot you first so I will have time to respond. Thanks.

Although legal here, I have yet to see someone open carry. Myself, I would not do it, and in my opinion the ones that do are saying, hey, look at me.

Originally Posted By: Al
I like people like you. They will shoot you first so I will have time to respond.

Does anyone have, or has anyone seen any data that shows or suggests that open carry individuals are shot more than concealed carry people? Or is this simply more Internet speculation?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Stupid to open carry?
So you are of the opinion Texas gun owners should repeal our hard fought right to open carry? Another step backward for gun owners rights?

Plenty of things are 100% worth defending as rights, but also stupid in most or all cases.

Any examples?

Racist speech
Exaggerated advertising
Negative self-talk
Drinking too much within the walls of your own home
Driving 5 MPH under the posted speed limit on a fast-moving highway
Publishing books based on pseudoscience
Wasting a ton of time posting stupid stuff on the Internet
Pretending you don't know what someone meant just because you want to disagree with them
Etc. etc.

By all means fight for the right to open carry. The idea that open carry should remain protected as a right doesn't mean it's smart.

Like lawfully riding a bicycle in heavy vehicular traffic?

Sure.

The difference being that riding a bicycle instead of driving a car helps others as well, at greater risk to the individual. That's different from open carry, which may or may not increase the individual's peace of mind but definitely reduces others'.

But no analogy is perfect, so I'm sure you knew that.

There's a right to hate speech, too. Should we exercise that as well, to help uphold the First Amendment?

Absolutely. Hate speech to one may be love speech to another.

I can think of two interpretations of this. One is charitable but irrelevant; the other is.... not charitable. So I think I'm going to have to leave this here.

Not everyone has the mental/emotional capacity to open carry, so if it is not for you, so be it.

Agree 100%.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who lack that capacity don't know they lack it.

Those that do have the capacity, and know it, open carry.

Missed the point completely. Sorry.

Stupid to open carry?
So you are of the opinion Texas gun owners should repeal our hard fought right to open carry? Another step backward for gun owners rights?

Plenty of things are 100% worth defending as rights, but also stupid in most or all cases.

Any examples?

Racist speech
Exaggerated advertising
Negative self-talk
Drinking too much within the walls of your own home
Driving 5 MPH under the posted speed limit on a fast-moving highway
Publishing books based on pseudoscience
Wasting a ton of time posting stupid stuff on the Internet
Pretending you don't know what someone meant just because you want to disagree with them
Etc. etc.
What? HUH?

By all means fight for the right to open carry. The idea that open carry should remain protected as a right doesn't mean it's smart.

Like lawfully riding a bicycle in heavy vehicular traffic?

Sure.

The difference being that riding a bicycle instead of driving a car helps others as well, at greater risk to the individual. That's different from open carry, which may or may not increase the individual's peace of mind but definitely reduces others'.

But no analogy is perfect, so I'm sure you knew that.
Again....what? HUH?

There's a right to hate speech, too. Should we exercise that as well, to help uphold the First Amendment?

Absolutely. Hate speech to one may be love speech to another.

I can think of two interpretations of this. One is charitable but irrelevant; the other is.... not charitable. So I think I'm going to have to leave this here.
Open you mind, see the view of others, and then decide for yourself.

Not everyone has the mental/emotional capacity to open carry, so if it is not for you, so be it.

Agree 100%.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who lack that capacity don't know they lack it.

Those that do have the capacity, and know it, open carry.

Missed the point completely. Sorry.

No, I got the point, it was lame, but I got it.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Sonic
I have a lifetime license for either open or concealed.

"Lifetime"? What state?

Here in Tennessee, a Lifetime Handgun Carry Permit is available for $300 ($268 for military). Or, if you're renewing a non-lifetime permit, it's $200.

A regular renewal (required every 8 years) is $50.

https://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.html

This thread makes me wonder if people are debating oil brands and viscosity on the gun forums.......
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Illegal in public in Florida, and I hope it stays that way.
Been to Florida, so I agree.
For hunting, fishing, and similar, it's great. Going to have guns in the open anyway.
Guns for fishing? Like a spear gun?
Aside from creating hostile atmosphere, I have no idea what this would be good for.
So you are saying a public shooting range is a hostile atmosphere?
My only experience with people who wanted others to know they were armed were all completely negative.

So all LEO are completely negative?

I didn't think I needed to clarify, but my comments did not encompass LEO, military, etc.

"My only experience with people who wanted others to know they were armed were all completely negative."

So you are saying LEO and military DO NOT want others to know they are armed?
Or do you exclude them as people?

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
This thread makes me wonder if people are debating oil brands and viscosity on the gun forums.......
grin.gif

Open line Friday …

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Al
I like people like you. They will shoot you first so I will have time to respond.

Does anyone have, or has anyone seen any data that shows or suggests that open carry individuals are shot more than concealed carry people? Or is this simply more Internet speculation?

Sorta' common sense-no?

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
My experience as an LEO for a few different agencies is this. Open carry I fully support if done properly and responsibly the same as concealed carry. If you are a law abiding citizen I believe you should to protect you and yours. I carry concealed off duty, but who am I to tell you how you should do it?

The idea that "everyone" is going to see their gun is FALSE, not always but most people just are not that observant to notice a firearm that is being carried on someones hip just walking through a store. And if they do as long as it is not strapped on like you're on some SWAT team with it hanging half way down your leg and in some simple leather holster, most people think you are supposed to have it and pay it no more attention. While carrying YOU think everyone is seeing it, but they are not.

Most people that are seen and noticed as open carrying are usually doing so with rifles slung across their back, which serves no purpose since it cannot be accessed fast enough for defense, but that is a different argument all together.

I have mixed feelings for licenses to carry. On one hand I feel that we should not be asking and paying the government to give us "permission" for a right we already have. But I do like that most states require training and training is a must in my opinion to carry a firearms in public.

Thank you, well written!
grin.gif

No, I got the point, it was lame, but I got it.

You really didn't. And apparently you missed everything else, too. So I'm going to stop. Feel free to interpret that as you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back