Oops, i bought another truck, 12 valve cummins

I was just going to live without a truck, maybe buy a flat trailer. I completed the sale of my 16 GMC 1500 and two hours later this little guy showed up online:

An early 2nd gen 12 valve 2wd auto with just over 200k and a virgin P pump. Slow 160 hp/400 tq factory rating. Faded paint and a little dirty. Who knows when the 47RH will go boom. It made a 19mpg run going as high as 85 at times. Not bad for stock timing and fuel.

Attachments

• CEA1A186-2346-47DC-91B2-EB1B75DD6D01.jpeg
    CEA1A186-2346-47DC-91B2-EB1B75DD6D01.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 94
Not a bad looking truck for its age, like the 2-tone color. The 2nd gen is my favorite pickup ever made, nice find!

Not a bad looking truck for its age, like the 2-tone color. The 2nd gen is my favorite pickup ever made, nice find!
This will be my 3rd 2nd gen cummins. I love the body lines. They are far from perfect but this will fit my needs for a year or two.

Its amazing how low in acceleration it is, compared to modern trucks or my modded 12v rocket ship i used to have way back.

Put a TST 230/605 kit on my 215/440 6BT & liked it a lot, Skipped the AFC spring step & just cranked the star wheel. Little smokey at low boost though.

This will be my 3rd 2nd gen cummins. I love the body lines. They are far from perfect but this will fit my needs for a year or two.

Its amazing how low in acceleration it is, compared to modern trucks or my modded 12v rocket ship i used to have way back.
Really? While I get it that it doesn’t have the 600 or 1000 lb ft pf the latest trucks, Ive been more than happy with my 96. It accelerates fine, and when it hits 4th and then locks up, if you give it throttle it just flies effortlessly to 75-80 mph.

Congrats on the truck. Those original 2nd gen Rams are my favorite.

so what if you bought a mint 12v cummins. may technically be a chrysler product but i argue its up there with toyota and people are paying out huge bucks for old 80's and even 90's trucks. i remember buying a fairly good but not mint 96 sierra mid level ext cab for 1300 in 2009. now that same truck in worse condition than before is fetching 4-5k. if that trans does eventually go id get it rebuilt and upgraded for reliability.

Those 12 valves are bulletproof. I maintain two of them in yard hostlers. One runs 16 hours a day 5-7 days a week and sometimes 24 hour days. These things gross 100klbs all the time but usually don’t run over 15 miles an hour.

so what if you bought a mint 12v cummins. may technically be a chrysler product but i argue its up there with toyota and people are paying out huge bucks for old 80's and even 90's trucks. i remember buying a fairly good but not mint 96 sierra mid level ext cab for 1300 in 2009. now that same truck in worse condition than before is fetching 4-5k. if that trans does eventually go id get it rebuilt and upgraded for reliability.
I bought it for a few reasons: 1. Reasonable price considering todays market. 2. I view it as a collectors item that can be used and still hold value or even appreciate. 3. I have no self control when there is an open parking space and money in hand.

I am considering getting the trans built before it goes out as it seems original and undoubtedly on borrowed time.

I bought it for a few reasons: 1. Reasonable price considering todays market. 2. I view it as a collectors item that can be used and still hold value or even appreciate. 3. I have no self control when there is an open parking space and money in hand.

I am considering getting the trans built before it goes out as it seems original and undoubtedly on borrowed time.
a lot of vehicles depreciate and the ones that do may reach a peak before they start to appreciate like those old trucks i was talking about and it shows. i bought that old sierra at the bottom of its value then it soared up since it has a reason to. They're desirable for being reliable and easy to diagnose and work on and do look great once restored which im already seeing. You wont lose a penny on that truck unless a huge tree falls on it and you didn't have insurance.

a lot of vehicles depreciate and the ones that do may reach a peak before they start to appreciate like those old trucks i was talking about and it shows. i bought that old sierra at the bottom of its value then it soared up since it has a reason to. They're desirable for being reliable and easy to diagnose and work on and do look great once restored which im already seeing. You wont lose a penny on that truck unless a huge tree falls on it and you didn't have insurance.
I have huge trees at my house... This thing could probably give me my money back with the cab being crushed just because of the value of the drivetrain. Hopefully the trees only come down as i trim them and this truck hauls the limbs the dump.

Maybe a trip to Precision Transmission in Texas might be in order for a seemingly well built transmission? 😉

Virgin P-pumps are akin to hens teeth. Cummins 6BT is one of the all time greats. Enjoy it!
I am considering keeping the pump sealed and just doing a larger injector. I fee like i need to preserve it for historical sake. One small bump in power will do all i need. Famous last words right?

Devil on left shoulder says pump mods. Angel on right shoulder says injectors. I say:

Attachments

• 4oncug.jpg
    4oncug.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1

Reason 3 is a problem I am familiar with!:ROFLMAO:

Back