Only Honda Genuine Full Syn 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to my Honda dealer to help my son buy his first new car today, a Civic LX Automatic. Interestingly our salesperson, and our finance guy, both had quarts of Honda Genuine Full Syn 0W20 on their desks. When I asked why they had quarts of oil on their desks they said they no longer carry Honda Genuine Syn Blend 0W20 and are only recommending and using Honda Genuine Full Syn 0W20 in their oil change work.

haha. What do they know that we don't? Oh, wait, nothing.

Short of a TSB, another reason that the best way to see the dealer service bay is in the R.V.M.

I believe the law states that if you must use that specific product as a condition of the warranty, the have to provide it free of charge, or something to that effect.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
I believe the law states that if you must use that specific product as a condition of the warranty, the have to provide it free of charge, or something to that effect.

That can't be. Honda specifies the use of ONLY Honda Genuine PS fluid in their PS systems, and I can tell you that they do not give that fluid away for free.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

That can't be. Honda specifies the use of ONLY Honda Genuine PS fluid in their PS systems, and I can tell you that they do not give that fluid away for free.

I do not know if Canada has a law like the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.
21.gif

They very well may be able to get away with that.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: Tegger

I do not know if Canada has a law like the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.
21.gif

They very well may be able to get away with that.

The magnuson-moss act also applies in canada.

The wording is all that matters in the end. Usually equivalent gets tossed in. Usually finding said equivalent may not be feasible.

I did a quick download of a 2013 Accord Manual. This is my second random manual download. Niether has differentiated between SM/SN cert, simply stating API Starburst is good enough. Some vehicles mention specific standard.

Back to the first point and MM considerations...

Here is a quote for the CVT fluid:
Do not mix HCF-2 with other transmission fluids.
Using a transmission fluid other than HCF-2 may
adversely affect the operation and durability of your
vehicle's transmission, and damage the transmission.
Any damage caused by using a transmission fluid that
is not equivalent to HCF-2 is not covered by Honda's
new vehicle warranty.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The magnuson-moss act also applies in canada.

No it doesn't. Canada may have a similar law, but Magnusson-Moss stops at the border.

And, according to Wikipedia, Magnusson-Moss only states that a warranty cannot require the use of branded parts in order to keep a warranty active; it says nothing about "free" parts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
Excerpt:
"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
The wording is all that matters in the end. Usually equivalent gets tossed in. Usually finding said equivalent may not be feasible

Honda's boilerplate for their PS systems is usually this:
"Always use Honda Power Steering Fluid.
Using any other type of power steering fluid
or automatic transmission fluid can cause
increased wear and poor steering in cold weather."

No "equivalent" in sight. Evidently it's just a caution and not anything enforceable when it comes to the warranty.

The language of the Magnuson-Moss Act is a little murky for me.

When it was first explained to me, I was led to believe that the burden of proof was on the dealer/manufacturer but now I am not so certain.

I really doubt that if you used, ...let's say Mag1 or Pyroil Honda Power Steering fluid, the dealer would be able to deny your claim.

If you dumped a quart of Exxon Superflo Type F in that you had on the shelf from 1987? That might be substantially different on a UOA (if they do that).

A Honda mechanic can usually tell right away if you've used anything other than fluid formulated for Honda/Acura. I used to use aftermarket brands formulated for Honda and they are fine. If you use other fluids it will be fine, for a while. Then, just about every seal that can leak will leak. At some point Honda P/S systems spring leaks, anyway, but using the wrong fluid will accelerate the process by years.

Does anybody know if this Honda synthetic is of any higher quality than oils such as Pennzoil Platinum or the Toyota synthetic??

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Does anybody know if this Honda synthetic is of any higher quality than oils such as Pennzoil Platinum or the Toyota synthetic??

I would say they should be close enough that the differences are insignificant. I prefer the Toyota but that's due to price.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

It's made by ConocoPhillips. Probably not that different than Kendall GT-1.

Might be Idemitsu too. Most likely the ConocoPhillips formulated oil for North America.

First oil change at 8415 miles on Acura 3.5L engine. Dealer put 0W20 (08798-9036) oil at $7.95 per quart for 5 quarts. Does it really take 5 quarts? Anyway, I am assuming it was Honda branded oil and it was synthetic. Since the 1st service was free to me, I did not do any research. Looking at the invoice, it seems to be quite alarming!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
A Honda mechanic can usually tell right away if you've used anything other than fluid formulated for Honda/Acura. I used to use aftermarket brands formulated for Honda and they are fine. If you use other fluids it will be fine, for a while. Then, just about every seal that can leak will leak. At some point Honda P/S systems spring leaks, anyway, but using the wrong fluid will accelerate the process by years.

You're joking right. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back