Online bill pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Credit Union, of which I've been a member for 15 years, has had free online bill pay for the last 5 or so years. Just this last month, I set up my account to pay all of my bills for payees that don't otherwise have their own online bill pay function. This is for stuff like daycare, doctors, utilities, car insurance, etc. It's awesome! Now, I don't have to write a single check to pay any of my bills. Why didn't I do this sooner!?

How many of you pay your bills this way? Likes? Dislikes? Horror Stories?

I do as well. All bills paid in 10 minutes. I trust online banking more then the USPS, that's for sure. I avoid mail at all cost if possible.

I went to online bill-pay in 1997 after a drop-off of three checks was stolen from the Post Office's drop box and all three were forged, requiring hours and hours of "I didn't do that" conversations and affidavits. Some people distrust it just because it is electronic, but I have never had a problem. Now it seems positively archaic to write a check and address an envelope.

The ability to do the scheduling when it is most convenient, and then forget about it is one of the best benefits.

I'd rather push my payments from my checking account, than give billers my account info and have them pull money from my checking account. If there's ever a problem, they already have your money and it's a nightmare to get back.

Yes, I use it for everything.

Just checked it out on my C/U web site. Never had given it much thought.

Never write a check again!
Bill Pay is a FREE service provided by Your Community Credit Union. Try your Bill Pay option today to discover the convenience of having your Bill Pay provider take care of your bills!

Simply point and click to set up payment of all of your bills - one-time payments, automatic payments, or manual payments that change each billing cycle. You specify the amounts, recipient and date - your Bill Pay provider will make sure funds are transferred directly or will send a check on your behalf.

Bill Pay is available by signing up for CU-Online access. Simply contact the Call Center at for more information and to set up a password.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'd rather push my payments from my checking account, than give billers my account info and have them pull money from my checking account. If there's ever a problem, they already have your money and it's a nightmare to get back.

For some of my online payments, that's how it works, but with my credit union's online bill-pay, I set up the payee and specify the payment amount, the credit union debits the amount from my account, and they either pay the payee electronically, or mail them a check.

Our household's been paying everything online for a few years now as well.

We bank at President's Choice in Canada, and they don't have any real "branches" per se anyhow, so pretty much all of our financial life takes place on teh interwebs.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Mine's setup so I have to approve each payment on my CU's website. Payees have no access to my account.

Pay pretty much everything through credit card so I get an extra layer of protection, a small 1-2% kickback from citi, and don't have to waste stamps.

Pay citi, student loans, and the electric company electronically from my bank account.

Only write checks for taxes and heating oil.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I would rather write a check.

You're the old guy I get stuck in line behind at the grocery store who writes the checks aren't you? Watch your back buddy, watch your back.

Me. The only one I don't is a special furniture deal where if I don't mail in the actual bill with how much goes on the furniture, and how much goes on the actual credit card, they put it ALL towards the credit card.
I do love me some online bill paying through my bank.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I do as well. All bills paid in 10 minutes. I trust online banking more then the USPS, that's for sure. I avoid mail at all cost if possible.

Because of you First Class stamps will soon cost 43 cents!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Pay pretty much everything through credit card so I get an extra layer of protection, a small 1-2% kickback from citi, and don't have to waste stamps.

Pay citi, student loans, and the electric company electronically from my bank account.

Only write checks for taxes and heating oil.

Ditto here, anything I can pay with my Discover card and not pay some convenience fee, I pay, and then pay the card off faithfully each month.

With my cash back bonus, I can do a great deal of Christmas shopping :)

When I traveled a lot for work, I would max out the cash back bonus on TWO Discover Cards each year.

Our bank has free bill pay, so we use that. About the only checks I write are to the school for adding lunch money to the kids accounts, and to the church.

And of course, it all downloads into Quicken or Money, so you don't have to make manual entries into the check register. Reconciling the check book is not much more than looking at the downloaded entries, comparing them to the saved stack of paid bills, and clicking OK.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Because of you First Class stamps will soon cost 43 cents!
LOL.gif

All the junk mail I get makes up for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back