Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks like a clean link, I can't believe the errors are at 0
crazy2.gif
I assume you are paying for 50/10?

For comparison, here's my old 24/4 link:
[Linked Image]

That's maxed out RCO, it's a long loop.

StevieC: Did you try resetting your modem? Yes, I know, I couldn't resist being as helpful as the people on the tech line.
wink.gif
Actually, when I had my cable issue years back, they asked if I turned the modem on and off, they said I shouldn't have done that because it now makes troubleshooting difficult. Right.... They didn't believe me that it needed a new grounding block, so I went to the Source and bought one.

50/10, and at non-peak times I will get 53/10.7 according to SpeedTest.net and download speeds from Microsoft at 5.7mb/sec

The most I have seen the errors at is 1-3 but thats after months of the modem not being rebooted. The DSLAM is on the street behind me. Can't be more than 100ft because my lot is 50 deep from the back of the house where the NID is and then there is the backyard of the house behind me. That's it. with a pole junction in-between.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
StevieC: Did you try resetting your modem? Yes, I know, I couldn't resist being as helpful as the people on the tech line.
wink.gif
Actually, when I had my cable issue years back, they asked if I turned the modem on and off, they said I shouldn't have done that because it now makes troubleshooting difficult. Right.... They didn't believe me that it needed a new grounding block, so I went to the Source and bought one.

grin2.gif
Yeah I had been thinking the modem was just freezing up after being on for so long, and they told me to stop turning it off for at least a week so they could check this status page after that time so I did and it was fine. So I started rebooting it nightly after that point once we knew that wasn't an issue and they got all the info they wanted.

I don't need a grounding block in my case because it's DSL and not cable. But the cable running into my house has a grounding block provided by the Cable Co from when I was on Cable internet because my line comes in overhead from an electric pole.

Originally Posted by StevieC
50/10, and at non-peak times I will get 53/10.7 according to SpeedTest.net and download speeds from Microsoft at 5.7mb/sec

The most I have seen the errors at is 1-3 but thats after months of the modem not being rebooted. The DSLAM is on the street behind me. Can't be more than 100ft because my lot is 50 deep from the back of the house where the NID is and then there is the backyard of the house behind me. That's it. with a pole junction in-between.

What's the fastest they will give you? I have a 58/58 VDSL2 link at one of my sites, it is a few hundred feet from the CO with the DSLAM in it, it would sync higher but the ISP capped it because we were maxing out the ancient ISR at that point.

grin2.gif
Yeah I had been thinking the modem was just freezing up after being on for so long, and they told me to stop turning it off for at least a week so they could check this status page after that time so I did and it was fine. So I started rebooting it nightly after that point once we knew that wasn't an issue and they got all the info they wanted.

I was just teasing you; I knew you had all the basics covered for sure.
wink.gif
Yes, the grounding block issue won't help you, unfortunately. For me, there was a grounding block, but it was like 30 years old and probably corroded inside. I'd ground the cable ends, connection would come back for a while. The grounding block was well grounded; the insides must have been dead. I bought a new grounding block and put it up, and never came across another issue again. Of course, none of this does you any good.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

What's the fastest they will give you? I have a 58/58 VDSL2 link at one of my sites, it is a few hundred feet from the CO with the DSLAM in it, it would sync higher but the ISP capped it because we were maxing out the ancient ISR at that point.

I'm told that 100/20 is possible for this line but that Bell has them capped at what they can offer and I wouldn't dare go to Bell directly to get this 100/20 service which I checked with Bell and it is available despite my postal code not showing it on their site. Rogers Gigabit is also available here but as posted above their service on this really old infrastructure here is terrible. (They bought out Shaw who used to be the provider here)
grin2.gif

I even thought about going Business from Teksavvy with a multi-connection for redundancy but then thought it was Overkill (no pun intended) and why should I pay more for something that is their problem to fix.

Last edited:
grin2.gif

I was just teasing you; I knew you had all the basics covered for sure.
wink.gif
Yes, the grounding block issue won't help you, unfortunately. For me, there was a grounding block, but it was like 30 years old and probably corroded inside. I'd ground the cable ends, connection would come back for a while. The grounding block was well grounded; the insides must have been dead. I bought a new grounding block and put it up, and never came across another issue again. Of course, none of this does you any good.

No worries, I took it that way.
cheers3.gif
I hate text for this reason because it can sound one way when it's not.

thumbsup2.gif
Keep us updated. I'm interested to see if they actually tell you what the problem was if they get it sorted.

They have been good telling me the technical details of what they are doing and for sure I'll update. It's a weird one for sure.

A number of weeks back, Stevie, the DSL at the office died totally (DSL there, cable at home). It was fairly late at night, got in touch with SaskTel. It turned out someone, drunk probably, ran over a box and wiped out a whole neighbourhood's service. Given my peculiar hours, it was their first report of an outage, of all things.

LOL that's funny.

I glance over at my DSLAM as I drive by it to/from work. Aside from graffiti on the box it looks ok. Hahahahahahah

I wasn't happy because I couldn't finish the work I was doing and had to go home to do it. Using CRA online calculators when there's no internet is an exercise in futility.

Tell me about it. The CRA anything is a pain.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back