one tough nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Hey everyone, been a weird week a work, first had a 2004 bmw come in. no oil change for 64000miles sludge city. I took pics of the mann filter will post soon(viewer discretion advised lol). But yesterday I had a 2006 maxima come in. About 70xxx miles on it, just straight oil change nothing special. So I wrench the drain plug off, and not a drop of oil, not a sliver, not a ounce of that addictivly interesting subject we call oil. I swear I probaly just drained dust. i have a question for the experts, how is this possible? No knocking, no oil pressure lights.ran smooth too. A couple ounces of oil did come out the filter tho. We filled with new oil and filter. It was like nothing happened. Customer had no idea and she really did not care. And oh Check engine light was on.

P.s glad I drive a nissan lol

Either the drain hole was plugged with sludge or you removed something other than the drain plug.

What was the oil level before and after the OC?

I've been running a repair shop for a long time. Were not a ignorant quicklube. It was the oil drain plug. I know it sounds impossible and I myself was perplexed all day after I saw that.

The "something other than the drain plug" comment was tongue in cheek. Should have put a
smile.gif
next to it.

Last year my brother 2006 altima motor had to be replaced.Guess what no oil in the crancase,NISSAN knew of the problem.Do yourself a favor & check all the tech bullitins out there.

I've seen a few engines that nothing came out, because the oil pan drain was plugged with sludge.
Poke something up through the hole and you get some stuff that oozes out.

Oh the humanity...

Maybe we are the dumb ones. These people don't even top off their oil let alone change it and the engines run OK. The vehicles will likely get traded in for new ones!

Stories like this are what terrifies me about used vehicles. Even my brother owns a 2008 Honda Accord with the 2.4L motor and I randomly checked his oil one day and I had to add 2.5 quarts of oil to get the dipstick to read normal.

finalyzed, out of curiosity how many people's cars would you say come in for an oil change with a dry dipstick? How low is the average car your see day to day?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Oh the humanity...

Maybe we are the dumb ones. These people don't even top off their oil let alone change it and the engines run OK. The vehicles will likely get traded in for new ones!

Or when there engine blows they will go off and tell people the following: "XXX car company is awful, my engine randomly failed one day for no reason."

Engine seizures/failures were one of the reasons why Saturn S-series are getting more rare these days...they sold a lot back in the day but people don't top off the oil and the timing chain fails, or the engine seizes and to the junkyard goes the car!

Last edited:
Those Pictures.

Wow!

I think the owners response to when the oil and filter were last changed would be:
"Changed it to what?"

"Hey everyone, been a weird week a work, first had a 2004 bmw come in. no oil change for 64000miles sludge city. I took pics of the mann filter will post soon(viewer discretion advised lol)"

Reading and comprehension skills FTW!

I sold an S-10 to a buddy of mine from work. I asked how it was doing, and he said "fine". He mentioned doing a hunting trip to Kentucky the following week, and I offered to check things over on the truck for him, since I was familiar with it. I pulled the dipstick and the oil was 2 quarts low and black. He had never changed the oil since I sold it to him 1 year before (and about 25,000 miles). I changed the oil for him and I could see blobs of oil coming out. I checked the new oil and it was black already.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What is that white new looking thing? Is that the new paper element?

Yep, it's the new cartridge filter.

I can't believe that BMW engine didn't grenade after 64,000 miles...incredible. I can *maybe* understand that many people don't check their oil regularly, but I simply can't fathom that there are drivers on the road who don't know that you are supposed to change the oil. They live among us!
33.gif

It's folks like us that properly maintain our rides that seem to fail. I've known a few people that could careless about maintence and get 200K.

Originally Posted By: kelpie
I sold an S-10 to a buddy of mine from work. I asked how it was doing, and he said "fine". He mentioned doing a hunting trip to Kentucky the following week, and I offered to check things over on the truck for him, since I was familiar with it. I pulled the dipstick and the oil was 2 quarts low and black. He had never changed the oil since I sold it to him 1 year before (and about 25,000 miles). I changed the oil for him and I could see blobs of oil coming out. I checked the new oil and it was black already.

Did he learn his lesson?!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I can't believe that BMW engine didn't grenade after 64,000 miles...incredible. I can *maybe* understand that many people don't check their oil regularly, but I simply can't fathom that there are drivers on the road who don't know that you are supposed to change the oil. They live among us!
33.gif

I'm seriously thinking about forgetting to ever change my oil after seeing this. Lol. We service/repair about 40 cars a day. I say about 15 come with no oil on the dipstick. We check the oil on every vehicle doesn't matter for what service. The owner of the bmw didn't even care. We refilled with syntec 5w40 and new mann filter. He drove off not even worried. He was more worried about the price then the vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back