One oil for multiple BMW's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an attempt to simplify my life, I would like to run the same oil across several engines and platforms and could use some wisdom.

The engines are N52, N55 and B58. I'm thinking that LL-01 would be the best specification to follow and am considering Liqui Moly Special Tech LL 5W-30. I live in Ohio and have cold winters and hot summers. Thoughts?

In an attempt to simplify my life, I would like to run the same oil across several engines and platforms and could use some wisdom.

The engines are N52, N55 and B58. I'm thinking that LL-01 would be the best specification to follow and am considering Liqui Moly Special Tech LL 5W-30. I live in Ohio and have cold winters and hot summers. Thoughts?
Buy highest spec, they are usually downward compatible check so TSB that may report issues

What approval (not "specification") does the owner's manual give for each of those models? And you own all three?
The N52 and N55 list LL-01, LL-01 FE and LL-04
The B58 gets LL-14FE and LL-01 FE. Fill from the factory was 0W-20

And yes, I own all of them. These engines are in 4 vehicles. I also have a S54 and S85 that get the 10W-60, but as you probably know, that's a long and controversial story.

Here are some of the La-dee-da LL oils. LOL.

8D92942E-CBAD-4E29-B63F-5638D90FC1F2.jpeg

The engines are N52, N55 and B58. I'm thinking that LL-01 would be the best specification to follow ....

Both LL-01 and LL-04 are appropriate for all your engines.
Outside NA BMW recommends using LL-04 even prior 2002.
Remember America's current sulphur limits are similar to EU
now, so after warranty you're fine with LL-04 as well as you're
with using LL-01. Personally I'd avoid the lower HTHS LL-01 FE.

BMW-MINI EMPFEHLUNGEN ÖL LL-04 auch vor 2002, LL-17FE+ für B48.jpeg

TIS suitable engine oils BMW LL-01 LL-01 FE LL-04 0.jpg

TIS suitable engine oils BMW LL-01 LL-01 FE LL-04 1.jpg

TIS suitable engine oils BMW LL-01 LL-01 FE LL-04 3.jpg

.:

How many of those Beamers are on warranty? If they are off warranty you really don’t have to be anal retentive with the BMW oils. As for the need for all these “special” oils, one really has to wonder. Flame suit on.

Last edited:
The N52 and N55 list LL-01, LL-01 FE and LL-04
The B58 gets LL-14FE and LL-01 FE. Fill from the factory was 0W-20

And yes, I own all of them. These engines are in 4 vehicles. I also have a S54 and S85 that get the 10W-60, but as you probably know, that's a long and controversial story.
You can run any LL01/LL04/LL01FE in all three of those. Personally I'd run a LL04 in all three simply because two of those engines are direct injection.

Note: I've been running LL01FE in my N55 since new but it's not what I've wanted to run. long story

+1 on the PP Euro L being the best choice in terms of availability and bang/buck ratio. You simply can't go wrong.

There are many other things we could be overthinking; this doesn't need to be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back