ONE New Ford getS 5w50 (Title Modified)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I often wondered what the purpose was for all that Syntec 5w-50 they have been stocking at Costco for the past decade. At least now there's one OEM that specs it.

Beyond that very good question, which I've asked myself more than once, the other biggie would be how heavily this oil must be loaded with VIIs. Were I using it, I'd probably treat it as a mere dino on this basis alone. I do realize that VIIs are supposed to be better than they were back in the sludge nightmare era, but still, that's an awfully wide spread.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I often wondered what the purpose was for all that Syntec 5w-50 they have been stocking at Costco for the past decade. At least now there's one OEM that specs it.

Beyond that very good question, which I've asked myself more than once, the other biggie would be how heavily this oil must be loaded with VIIs. Were I using it, I'd probably treat it as a mere dino on this basis alone. I do realize that VIIs are supposed to be better than they were back in the sludge nightmare era, but still, that's an awfully wide spread.

I'd actually be interested in running it to see how far it would shear. I'd probably think of it as a 5w-40 after a few miles.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Hahaha, ownership.

I'm sorry to deflate this one, but I'm a mere volunteer. I receive zero compensation from BITOG or anyone in the industry (or anywhere else for that matter). I have zero ownership interest in this site.

It was...not meant that way. Kind of wierd, but I use it the same way some other people use OWND!

5W-50 isn't that 'bad' of a viscosity....it cover the full spectrum of temps you could be using it in. It's cold-crank tested to -30C, and if you look at the PDS for PP5W-50 and QHP 5W-50, they both have really good ccs numbers - it's not like the 'just' meet them.

Also, to get the 5W-50 spread, you'd have to use a fairly complex mix of all syn basestocks - group III, PAO, and Ester. We have UOA reports on here with it, and it doesn't sheaqr that much at all. - it's pretty stout.

Smart move on Fords part to make use of this versatile lubricant.

Thanks for all the positive replies and changing the title. It amazes me that BMW has used 10w60 in their M models without any problems and 5w50 is actually listed as substitute in the owners manual which is much more affordable than the 10w60. I see the 5w50 as a great option when it's 100 degrees and idling in traffic waiting to drive hard when it clears up.

Hi,
noi8u - Just a little more data on 5W-50 lubricants

These 5W-50 lubricants were in the MY1999 Porsche Approved List for use from -25C to beyond 30C

Castrol 1 (and TWS10W-60)
Cofpan 1
EUROL 1
Idemitsu 1
Meguin 1
Mobil 1
MOL 1
Motorex 1
Pentosin 1
Rockoil 1
Sporograsa 1
Tetrosyl 1
TOTALFINA 1
Valvoline 1
Veedol 1 (and a 10W-60)
Yukong 1

As well there were 19 0W-40 lubricants amongst the 100 or so Approved. Some 0W-30 and 5W-30 lubricants appeared too

Today only one 5W-50 lubricant remains on Porsche's List - M1 5W-50

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back