One more Amsoil ACD 10w30/30 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people argue that it does not matter what API Group base stocks oils are made from, but I am still interested.

Is the ACD 10w30/30 HDEO a Group III or Group IV oil?

A little off the subject, but...

After reading some difference wikipedia info on Synthetic oils, I was a little surprised to see that Amsoil's first API 10w40 oil was a Group V. I did not really know that Ams ever made any sort of ester type oil. Also I was reminded by the information that their first oil was actually produced by Hatco. I'm assuming that Amsoil actually produces their oil's in house now? (I know they buy their additives and raw materials from other companies,I'm reminded about the increasing cost of raw materials everytime Amsoil has a price increase)

Last edited:
Group IV with some group V to balance the base oil for seal compatibility. Maybe someone can confirm this. This is info I found quite some time ago.

So that is the general consensus? Group IV with a little bit of esters added. Thank makes me feel good about this oil I think. I have it in both my Ford 302 EFI Marine Engine, as well as my 06 Eclipse GT V6. The eclipse is stored for the winter, so I don't think there are any concerns with cold flow issues.

ACD is one of Amsoil's best oil's IMO,can be used in a wide variety of applications diesel or gas well built robust oil and priced reasonable.

cannot comment on the base i'm sure tho it's more then III but who knows,i use ACD in all my OPE,great stuff!

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I know people argue that it does not matter what API Group base stocks oils are made from, but I am still interested.

Is the ACD 10w30/30 HDEO a Group III or Group IV oil?

A little off the subject, but...

After reading some difference wikipedia info on Synthetic oils, I was a little surprised to see that Amsoil's first API 10w40 oil was a Group V. I did not really know that Ams ever made any sort of ester type oil. Also I was reminded by the information that their first oil was actually produced by Hatco. I'm assuming that Amsoil actually produces their oil's in house now? (I know they buy their additives and raw materials from other companies,I'm reminded about the increasing cost of raw materials everytime Amsoil has a price increase)

From 1972 to 'about' 1978, Amsoil was a diester 10W-40. They made the switch to PAO, due to cost, in about 1978/79.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
I don't think there would be any cold flow issues with ACD regardless.

Well, when its 7 deg out, and my gas engine calls for...

5w20 (for best fuel economy and cold weather) and 10w30 as another option. People say that the ACD will be less effecient that that I could be losing hp and fuel economy with it vs a 5w20 or 0w20 oil. I really only drive that car from spring to fall, so it never really sees cold-cold winter starts. I'm most concerened with protection and breakdown of oil. I want the best protection under load and hard driving that fuel economy in that car.

Amsoil 10w30/30 ACD is a group 4 oil with a hint of esters. I've been using it in my '06 duramax for quite some time now...it's a great stout oil for winter or summer.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
What kind of cold temperatures do you see in Tx? Does your engine call for 15w40?

Winters are pretty mild for the most part but occasionally we'll see a "McFarland Signature" weather event that will dump cold air in from Manitoba straight across the plains. Dallas-FtWorth will see 0°. Austin will be in the single digits. Brownsville and Miami are roughly the same latitude but Brownsville has been 20° colder than the coldest recorded temp in Miami. (you haven't heard 'wings players complaining about the condition of the ice in Dallas?
lol.gif
winter is typically too mild for a solid rink like Alberta)

In the panhandle, expect the same weather you would in the high plains of Western Kansas.

I think the DMax recommends CJ4 15W40.
21.gif

Manual says 10w30 is a option to the 15w40. I find I get better performance and mpg in the DMAX with the 10w30, I've been using it for over 60,000 miles now with a Mobil 1 oil filter. Great stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back