One in four homebuyers want to move, here are the top ten cities they want to move to.

Petoskey Michigan (near Mackinaw Bridge) ...in the summer
Lakeland Florida (near MLB / Detroit Tigers spring training) ...in the winter.

Honorable Mention
Orlando Florida (winter)
Marquette Michigan (summer)

I'm a Realtor in Orlando. It's not. Most of my out of state inbounds are from Western states. California, Washington, Colorado, Nebraska (west to me!). California must be going through a mass exodus with as many that are trying to move here. Had a few from Ohio, too.

Can confirm Tampa and Cape Coral are very popular outside of Central Florida / Orlando area.
California has had a loss of people over the past 5-6 years and it continues

Why in the world would people want to live in cities in the first place. I’d only consider 4 on the list strictly because they are baseball cities. And if I did live there as an incentive I’d need free baseball tickets to every game. I can’t do cities not for a country boy like me. Especially not ones on that list.
I’m the opposite. I’d never not live in a big city.

Based on an analysis of 100 metro areas, the following 10 cities had the highest net inflow of property searches on Redfin's website. Net inflow is the number of people looking to move into a city minus the number of people looking to leave.

1. Las Vegas: 5,700
  2. Phoenix: 5,300
  3. Tampa, Florida: 5,000
  4. Orlando, Florida: 4,900
  5. Sacramento, California: 4,800
  6. North Port-Sarasota, Florida: 4,700
  7. Cape Coral, Florida: 4,100
  8. Dallas: 4,100
  9. Miami: 3,700
  10. Houston: 3,600
I look at it like this....

I think any place on that list (Phoenix and Houston are interesting selections; I've heard North Las Vegas is "inexpensive" just a lot like Florida with little job availability..) COULD be desirable to someone that doesn't mind 🔥heat.🔥 Like hellfire, planet too close to the sun, brain melting heat. Almost all the time, maybe 7 nice/tolerable days a year. This is why we have air conditioning and even if system not held under vacuum... if it works, it works.

The 5 cities in Florida.. well they call Florida "God's waiting room" so. I wonder.. it's also PLENTY hot down there and while most Floridians are transplants from somewhere else (NYC/NJ/CT.. The Good Get Out..) they go to Florida for what always was perceived as low COL but. Unless you're talking about Jacksonville Florida which is essentially Georgia on the Florida side.. that is debatable. Florida also is more "Southern" the farther North you are in Florida. I'd give the Florida cities the side-eye. Not sure I'd want to return to Florida. I also don't do well in the heat; me personally. I love my air conditioning and make sure it works 100% well.

For Texas... well, from what I hear, no property tax (income tax?) is made up for in sales tax.. and aside from really hot weather (HAS to be humid, the whole "dry heat" thing would be more Vegas,) COULD be a place of opportunity if that can be overcome.. I'll call it the new Florida. Californians get there anyway before they get to Florida so.. while I've heard the views of Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston (apparently Texas 4 largest cities) control the State the same way Philadelphia and Pittsburgh control PA and NYC controls NY even though all three are HUGE states..... I would think there is some promise to Texas.

For Vegas and Arizona.. my Uncle could tell me about Arizona, not sure about Vegas. (He lived in Surprise, Arizona for a tike. He's lived most everywhere in younger years. Now lives in about middle of PA off Rt 80.) I can only imagine it is HOT, but not a humid hot.. the more dangerous kind where it might not actually feel that bad (if not humid) but gotta watch hydration levels. Not sure the kind of work one could find in Arizona. I wonder if opportunity is there.

I wonder the lens applied to make the list. How old was who made it? Did they have money from a career? Were they retirees? Were they 50 plus in age? 60? Were they.. in their 20s? 30s? Me.. I turned 41 recently, my experiment when I turned 40 (milestone birthday) to live in and around Tampa just didn't quite work out the way I wanted to and I had an opportunity to work at Graybar and it would have involved HEIGHTS so even though it COULD have been okay.. I'm not comfortable putting my ~250lbs body on a Skyjack and going 6 racks up in the air even if the pay was decent so I moved from there and left Florida...... so I'm not sure I'd just go running back to Florida.. but, again, I'm someone older than I should be looking for opportunities I should have been had and moved on from, so my point of view can be 100% different than most. (I was also just waiting for the "You use the AC too much" argument from those than ran the share on when 89 degrees and 100% or near 100% humidity was just the normal temperature.. I think the idea was to not be home during the day and be working every single day.. why do Floridans live like they are poor? Just a personal observation, again could be 100% off for some and does not apply to @Cujet and @Dave Hess and many others on here. Other Floridans.) This all makes the point to ask who made this list.

And it's not just California.. the Mass Exodus continues to where NJ, NY (NYers ruin it for everyone. Never quite met a Californian, at least you all have pizazz and style..) CT, MA, others.. the Exodus is real and most head to Florida, where "good luck finding a job" but apparently word got out Texas is so cool even Tesla went there. Now has Texas been "ruined?" Well hey.. that depends on how you look at it. People move, they bring themselves with them and if they get a good job with even low or even reasonable COL vs the income they make then it is a win.

Apparently everyone is OK with the heat. I could tell you all about how that is for me, and those like me...🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Las Vegas: 5,700 - What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Believe me, I have things I want to do in Vegas and it really ideal for "I will be here for one night to 3 days" it is a place to spend money..... ..............
Phoenix: 5,300 - Interesting. Arizona..
Tampa, Florida: 5,000 - Objection: Florida.
Orlando, Florida: 4,900 - Objection: Florida.
Sacramento, California: 4,800 - WHAT!?!?
North Port-Sarasota, Florida: 4,700 Objection: Florida. "The block was dead, yo, so I continued to A1A.."
Cape Coral, Florida: 4,100 - Objection: Florida.
Dallas: 4,100 - Interesting. Dallas/DFW. Maybe one day...
Miami: 3,700 - Hey Hey I wanna be a rap star. You could get killed in Miami "easily..." Objection: Florida.
Houston: 3,600 <--- 👍

For Texas... well, from what I hear, no property tax (income tax?) is made up for in sales tax.. and aside from really hot weather (HAS to be humid, the whole "dry heat" thing would be more Vegas,) COULD be a place of opportunity if that can be overcome.. I'll call it the new Florida. Californians get there anyway before they get to Florida so.. while I've heard the views of Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston (apparently Texas 4 largest cities) control the State the same way Philadelphia and Pittsburgh control PA and NYC controls NY even though all three are HUGE states..... I would think there is some promise to Texas.
There is less and less promise to Texas specifically because those 4 far too blue cities control Texas and foreign (Californian and others) invaders come here to escape there but continue to vote wrong as they did there. Also, Texas has HIGH property taxes and yes, no state income tax. Texas was a great place 50 and more years ago, now not as much.

It is. People fleeing the insanity of California.
We moved to our new community just months ago brand new subdivision in an established "resort" community. We are transplants from Long Island NY 16 years ago to South Carolina and now chose the coast of North Carolina for hopefully to live out the rest of our long lives.

Ok, no kidding, NOT an exaggeration.
I am willing to bet so far that about 85% of new homeowners (my neighbors) are from Long Island, CT, NJ ... and our latest all the way from California. I cant believe it, sometimes I feel like I am back on Long Island, many of my neighbors I know the towns they came from, the other half CT and the other Half NJ ... and like I said .. the newest (ALL GREAT PEOPLE) from CA.

The CA people ironically were associated with a huge corporation and most likely has dealt with my daughter up in Charlotte. Just another example its a small world. They lived a good life in CA but he couldn't wait to leave. In all fairness though that can be said of anyone leaving their state to retire. (meaning Im not singling out a state)

The part I am a little upset about, Im wondering what our peaceful (sort of) coastal area is going to look like in ten years, freaking MASSIVE amounts of land clearing taking place, golf courses turning into communities on the NC/SC border. It's massive and I dont want it to become another Myrtle Beach area (we do like MB though) most likely impossible because the coast is lined with expensive homes instead of hotels.

Last edited:
Why in the world would people want to live in cities in the first place....I can’t do cities not for a country boy like me. Especially not ones on that list.
I hear you! I escaped NJ for the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of SW Virginia, an hour southwest of you (in Floyd). Beautiful scenery, great weather, low population density, and very friendly people.

The part I am a little upset about, Im wondering what our peaceful (sort of) coastal area is going to look like in ten years, freaking MASSIVE amounts of land clearing taking place, golf courses turning into communities on the NC/SC border. It's massive and I dont want it to become another Myrtle Beach area (we do like MB though) most likely impossible because the coast is lined with expensive homes instead of hotels.

That’s the thing. Once a place or region gets the publicity of being a great place to live it will attract a lot of people and in the end it changes the perspective.

Golf course communities are very prone to upheaval. A lot of them don’t do very well financially and if investment firms take over then watch out. We have friends that bought a house on a golf course not too far from us. They loved the idea of living in a park like setting and that was the case for many years. Then the course ran into financial difficulties around ten years ago and a developer bought it out. Now the golf course is gone and replaced with hundreds of apartments and townhomes along with single family homes. A ton of newcomers have moved in and the entire community has changed. It used to be peaceful. Now it’s full of who knows what. Abandoned stolen cars, drugs are everywhere, and the few parks that were in the area are not places to be anymore.

Honestly the list you posted is like my top 10 places I'd never move to.
Likewise.

I’m originally from a Massachusetts tourist trap town on Cape Cod. I worked my butt off to get where I am geographically, on a nice big hobby farm in rural Vermont, no neighbors easily seen or heard, nice quiet dirt road where I know every vehicle that should be driving by, etc.

Anything beyond driving to one of our great locally-owned stores is referred to by my wife and I as “going into civilization”. No big box stores or any kind of chain establishments within easy driving distance— and I couldn’t be happier!

I wouldn’t last a month in a place that was hot, had tons of people, or tons of traffic.

That’s the thing. Once a place or region gets the publicity of being a great place to live it will attract a lot of people and in the end it changes the perspective.

Golf course communities are very prone to upheaval. A lot of them don’t do very well financially and if investment firms take over then watch out. We have friends that bought a house on a golf course not too far from us. They loved the idea of living in a park like setting and that was the case for many years. Then the course ran into financial difficulties around ten years ago and a developer bought it out. Now the golf course is gone and replaced with hundreds of apartments and townhomes along with single family homes. A ton of newcomers have moved in and the entire community has changed. It used to be peaceful. Now it’s full of who knows what. Abandoned stolen cars, drugs are everywhere, and the few parks that were in the area are not places to be anymore.
Agree and I dont want anymore people, I guess the same as the people before we moved here thought *LOL*
But the flood gates have been opened and I dont see it stopping anytime soon.

We got our first property tax bill, now, how many of those in high tax states can actually say what I am about to.
I laughed *LOL* actually I laugh every time I tell someone, even now. I would say its the equivalent of maybe around, lets see, ummm, $10,000 to $12,000 less than the home we moved from on Long Island SIXTEEN years ago *LOL* My HOA is the same price of the property taxes and still the above applies.

I wouldnt choose to live on a golf course because I dont golf, dont like the exposure in general.I dont disagree with you, many are converted but here and a lot of areas of golf courses turned into communities, a nationwide blanket statement of what your friends went through near you doesnt apply to all by any means anymore than a tract of land developed.

Any open piece of land is an unknown but a golf course community around here stays golf course what does happen is golf courses get sold and communities built. Anything can happen though and I wouldnt choose one if one thinks it can happen to them.

IT cant happen here, we do have 27 holes of golf, and well over 1000 homes or 2000?, 4 or 5 HOAs and one master HOA.
If the course was ever converted you can bet its going to be nice. Also 24 hour guard booth, gates with windshield transponders and license plate readers at all entrances keep any thoughts of criminals away.

Its a buyer beware world and people need to think in the case of what if...in this case we are well covered but even if we weren't, this is an area with massive tourism, retirement system living and the stand alone gold courses that have been converted are upscale housing. There is plenty of open land everywhere if one wanted a cheap housing community that would cost less money than a golf course. Why I say area dependent statement.

Last edited:
Likewise.

I’m originally from a Massachusetts tourist trap town on Cape Cod. I worked my butt off to get where I am geographically, on a nice big hobby farm in rural Vermont, no neighbors easily seen or heard, nice quiet dirt road where I know every vehicle that should be driving by, etc.

Anything beyond driving to one of our great locally-owned stores is referred to by my wife and I as “going into civilization”. No big box stores or any kind of chain establishments within easy driving distance— and I couldn’t be happier!

I wouldn’t last a month in a place that was hot, had tons of people, or tons of traffic.
:D That's where I want to move!

The traffic in Cape Coral is a nightmare ....like most of SW Florid

Many people wish to live in nice places-hence the traffic. I have been in Cape Coral (many times)-yea there is traffic but there are many places far worse.

I'd bet that if the demographics of those who are seeking homes in those cities was revealed, the survey would be more meaningful. I can guarantee that those figures would not be a wide cross section of income, political leanings nor ethnicity.
Are you saying that people move to different areas because of 'demographics'?

Back