One in four homebuyers want to move, here are the top ten cities they want to move to.

florida and texas. most people in the US move there. california and new york are at the opposite spectrum.

This is the article's take on the net migration
most homebuyers seemingly want to leave:

Here are the 10 metros with the largest net outflow of property searches, which measures the number of search queries interested in leaving a metro area minus the number of search queries about moving to that same city.

San Francisco: 28,100
New York City: 24,200
Los Angeles: 20,900
Washington, D.C.: 15,700
Chicago: 4,900
Boston: 4,400
Seattle: 3,900
Hartford, Connecticut: 3,500
Denver: 2,300
Detroit: 2,300
The search patterns suggest homebuyers are looking to leave large coastal hubs for cities in low-tax states that have considerably cheaper home prices.

Last edited:
The major destination for people fed up with Northern Virginia was North Carolina. No idea what it is today.
NC is filling up and has gotten expensive.Lot's from NoVa moving to WV since work from home became big. What surprises me is Cape Coral. It's an island. There's 1 free bridge at the northern end and 2 toll bridges to get on or off the island. You should see rush hour. The toll bridges aren't cheap.

I am always surprised to see Cape Coral on these lists. I have had a bunch of family there since the 80s, they did the southern migration from New York thing. I wouldn't mind living there actually if there was decent work.

I can't help but ponder that people on a macro level that move to Las Vegas end their life's on a sad note. I am sure for some on a micro level, great move- such as a magician or musician. But for most, likely a sad way to exist. Jmho.
NV has no state income tax and has a much lower cost of living so it's a big draw for people from California. Henderson, Red Rock, Summerlin are in the outer suburbs and are more like Phoenix AZ/Scottsdale rather than the area on and right off the LV Strip.

I was just up in TN/NC at the Tail of the Dragon. Ran into a guy at the gas station with an old Ranger pickup and Florida tags so asked where he was from. He told me Tampa area, but all over FL. Said when he moved up there several years ago the locals were like, "you're going to have to adapt to our way of living." Said he started meeting his closest neighbors after that and they were all from FL!

In my experience, long-time Floridians tend to head for the mountains to retire. I've got several friends in GA/NC/TN mountains now.
Floridians have been summering in WNC for decades.

I have friends from California who moved to las vegas. They are doing really well and have lived there 15 years. Locals don't go to the strip, and there is so much to do and a pretty good quality of life.
Exactly.

This is the article's take on the net migration
most homebuyers seemingly want to leave:

Here are the 10 metros with the largest net outflow of property searches, which measures the number of search queries interested in leaving a metro area minus the number of search queries about moving to that same city.

San Francisco: 28,100
New York City: 24,200
Los Angeles: 20,900
Washington, D.C.: 15,700
Chicago: 4,900
Boston: 4,400
Seattle: 3,900
Hartford, Connecticut: 3,500
Denver: 2,300
Detroit: 2,300
The search patterns suggest homebuyers are looking to leave large coastal hubs for cities in low-tax states that have considerably cheaper home prices.
Of course but many sure wouldn't give up their "Big city" pensions.

Based on an analysis of 100 metro areas, the following 10 cities had the highest net inflow of property searches on Redfin's website. Net inflow is the number of people looking to move into a city minus the number of people looking to leave.

1. Las Vegas: 5,700
  2. Phoenix: 5,300
  3. Tampa, Florida: 5,000
  4. Orlando, Florida: 4,900
  5. Sacramento, California: 4,800
  6. North Port-Sarasota, Florida: 4,700
  7. Cape Coral, Florida: 4,100
  8. Dallas: 4,100
  9. Miami: 3,700
  10. Houston: 3,600
Why would anyone want to move where water is at a premium? I'll stay where the water----and food---is.

Why would anyone want to move where water is at a premium? I'll stay where the water----and food---is.
Indiana is a great state. Amber waves of grain, and John Cougar (not Mellencamp). Jack and Diane country. Americana at its finest.

Picture credit: Michael Morse
amber-waves-of-grain-michael-morse.jpg
amber-waves-of-grain-l-o-c.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve worked in the desert most of my life and have lived in Arizona for nearly 40-years. I travel to Florida to visit my daughter every so often, and I grew up in Southern California. For the longest time I felt that Arizona was the best kept secret in the country, but I guess not so much anymore. The Phoenix area in particular has the most modern freeway system I’ve ever seen, and they keep it clean. Up until about 25-years ago, I wanted move to back to San Diego area, but not anymore. The humidity in Florida would drive me insane so that’s always been a no-go. However, they do offer new residents a free pet alligator. 🐊

Last edited:
Indiana is a great state. Amber waves of grain, and John Cougar (not Mellencamp). Jack and Diane country. Americana at its finest.

Picture credit: Michael Morse
View attachment 169970View attachment 169971
The whole midwest is underrated, IMO. Great place to raise kids, friendly folks, and beautiful.....PLENTY of water! Lol!

Washington is gorgeous, too! I've been out there many times and loved every minute of it! (Not just the west coast area, but inland, east of the Cascades, too!)

The whole midwest is underrated, IMO. Great place to raise kids, friendly folks, and beautiful.....PLENTY of water! Lol!

Washington is gorgeous, too! I've been out there many times and loved every minute of it! (Not just the west coast area, but inland, east of the Cascades, too!)
A middle-aged woman is much more likely to get car jacked/ murdered on a Tuesday afternoon at a Target in Western Washington, than the same woman getting murdered at a Wal mart in rural Indiana. Wahington is not a safe state. I never posted the story of my first day in Washington (eastern) when a group tried to carjack my Penske rental truck. I got an immediate wake up call to the real crime risk every person faces in Washington state- who would have guessed....

1. Las Vegas: 5,700 - Too hot
  2. Phoenix: 5,300 - WAAY too hot
  3. Tampa, Florida: 5,000 - Way too hot and muggy
  4. Orlando, Florida: 4,900 - Way too hot and muggy
  5. Sacramento, California: 4,800 - Way too expensive
  6. North Port-Sarasota, Florida: 4,700 - Way too hot and muggy
  7. Cape Coral, Florida: 4,100 - Way too hot - assume it is muggy
    1. Dallas: 4,100 - Too hot
  8. Miami: 3,700 - Too hot and muggy
  9. Houston: 3,600 - too hot and way too many people
I want to live in the mountains :ROFLMAO:
Walden,Colorado

Why in the world would people want to live in cities in the first place. I’d only consider 4 on the list strictly because they are baseball cities. And if I did live there as an incentive I’d need free baseball tickets to every game. I can’t do cities not for a country boy like me. Especially not ones on that list.

Why in the world would people want to live in cities in the first place. I’d only consider 4 on the list strictly because they are baseball cities. And if I did live there as an incentive I’d need free baseball tickets to every game. I can’t do cities not for a country boy like me. Especially not ones on that list.

I ask my self that when someone lives an hour (or more) from a Walmart (or the like). Who wants to live in the middle of nowhere? Of course your location isn't that far from a big city if you need anything you can't get in your hometown. And belive me- here in the West you can really live IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE.

That portion of my childhood spent in Elmhurst, IL was way better than that portion spent in Manassas, VA.

A word of advice to anyone considering moving to Northern VA:

1)Preferably, make sure your job is going to pay you enough to not have to live in a place like Manassas, VA
2)Even more preferably, make sure your job is a Federal job with great benefits, union protection, and which you almost can never be fired from.

1. Las Vegas: 5,700 - Too hot
  2. Phoenix: 5,300 - WAAY too hot
  3. Tampa, Florida: 5,000 - Way too hot and muggy
  4. Orlando, Florida: 4,900 - Way too hot and muggy
  5. Sacramento, California: 4,800 - Way too expensive
  6. North Port-Sarasota, Florida: 4,700 - Way too hot and muggy
  7. Cape Coral, Florida: 4,100 - Way too hot - assume it is muggy
    1. Dallas: 4,100 - Too hot
  8. Miami: 3,700 - Too hot and muggy
  9. Houston: 3,600 - too hot and way too many people
I want to live in the mountains :ROFLMAO:
The mountains are closed ;)