One car only...forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
B5.5 VW Passat Wagon 4 motion, W8 with the 6 speed manual. I know maintenance would be a nightmare, but it is a heckuva combo. Actually found one (with full service records at that) on CL a couple months ago, but the owner knew what he had and was priced accordingly. Almost called the bank, but fought the temptation.

Originally Posted By: Delta
B5.5 VW Passat Wagon 4 motion, W8 with the 6 speed manual. I know maintenance would be a nightmare, but it is a heckuva combo. Actually found one (with full service records at that) on CL a couple months ago, but the owner knew what he had and was priced accordingly. Almost called the bank, but fought the temptation.

They're actually not too bad if you stay on top of them. If you let them go, they fall... HARD.

Little problems on them tend to snowball.

A new Subaru Forester XT. It has all the horse power and torque I would ever need. It has great visibility front, side, and rear. Plenty of cargo space for what I need 99% of the time. Excellent turning radius for an SUV. Easy to maneuver and park in tight parking lots. Higher seating position than what i'm driving now, I like a higher seating. It has the safety tech I like such as: backup camera with cross traffic alert, and blind spot monitor.

Do I have to pay for it?

I'm hoping to be around a while....

Probably an F150 SuperCrew, 3.5EB XLT if i have to pay for it... Platinum if I don't...
grin.gif

That's the part I wonder about - would like to have the Unimog - but need a sponsor to go with it
wink.gif

(And sponsors tend to not like me) ...

Prior to the Jeep, I would have certainly said an E39 BMW M5. Not as sure at this point. It might be the Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Your question leaves out the issue of reliability. Do you really want to keep a BMW when it cost $500 for a new battery or a Porsche when is costs $1500 for a battery and an oil change?
If you add reliability into the equation I will keep my Toyota Avalon. 120,000 miles with only oil changes, new tires and one new battery.

If I'm not planning to buy another car, I'll have sufficient cash for repairs.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
This has been my solution since 2003, and if I was restricted to just one vehicle forever, it would still be the best solution.

Can carry a tonne, or tow 3 tonnes, dogs in the back or shopping, diesel...all good.

If I had to pick one starting tomorrow, same arrangement, but a Z71 Colorado with canopy and bar.

What is it? I'm not seeing an image.

If a 76 series Landcruiser with the 1VD-FTV engine was available here, I'd buy it tomorrow.

I think it depends on how many days you have left.

And how you intend to spend them...

So, it might be a 1934 Packard Twelve convertible coupe...depending...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

So, it might be a 1934 Packard Twelve convertible coupe...depending...

34 or 32? Not that'd make any difference.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Shannow
This has been my solution since 2003, and if I was restricted to just one vehicle forever, it would still be the best solution.

Can carry a tonne, or tow 3 tonnes, dogs in the back or shopping, diesel...all good.

If I had to pick one starting tomorrow, same arrangement, but a Z71 Colorado with canopy and bar.

What is it? I'm not seeing an image.

If a 76 series Landcruiser with the 1VD-FTV engine was available here, I'd buy it tomorrow.

Sorry, original didn't work

B9751A2E-E74F-4095-80BF-9C16AC23FBA9-446-000000DA68C9BC78_zps1db88e8d.jpg

The 1994 Ranger STX in my signature is probably going to be a forever vehicle. It checks a lot of boxes for my small Ford truck enthusiasm and is in very solid/original condition. The only downside is the tight regular cab.

Things I would consider trading it for...

1991-1994 Explorer Sport 4x4 5-speed with NO rust
1994-1996 F-150 short bed 4x4 or Bronco with Eddie Bauer trim and cloth seats
1991-1994 Ranger with similar options, but a Super Cab

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I didn't think the Lada was known to be reliable.
27.gif

As a car to keep forever, it doesn't have to be reliable, but it does have to be repairable, hence a Lada.

HOA...home owners association ? As a home owner in New Zealand, apart from building things, I can do whatever I like on my property.

I don't know what I'd want. Out of all the vehicles I've had so far, I think I liked my Jetta the best. Manual trans, turbo-diesel, wagon, etc. My '99 Camry for whatever reason is actually my second best liked vehicle. Seems right-sized and does 90% of I want and 98% of what I need--even if it's a "boring" appliance.

Really too hard to have one vehicle do everything all the time, my Tundra probably comes closest to an only for me, save for parking&feeding it gas. A 4 door truck with 4WD, it has space for everyone and a big trunk to boot. I'm at a stage in life where I'm just focused on family and as such I don't just have no desire for a car that doesn't work "for the family".

Originally Posted By: Silk
HOA...home owners association ? As a home owner in New Zealand, apart from building things, I can do whatever I like on my property.

you people at the bottom of the world have figure it out:
-have a beer with neighbors.
-repair/maintain your car
-learn how to drive
-keep fit

here i was an oddity because i was taking my kids out including in 2 feet of snow, and i was using my patio and do grilling while they where running out.....

I need AWD in my forever wagon, otherwise the CTS-V would probably be the one for me as well. Realistically I'd have to go for a 4th gen Subaru Legacy wagon, turbo or flat 6. If someone else was buying and maintaining I'd try all sorts of wagons. Hemi Magnum, Old RS2, new jag sportbrake?

I would be okay with either the G8 or the Xj8 as my only one car, forever, car. Both have their merits so it would probably come down to a coin toss.

Then you just let your LLC's, corps., whatever, own the other vehicles that are essential or desirable to have.

If I had to go with a new vehicle, it would probably be the new Jag SUV.

I think I would be okay with the Cherokee I have now.

Well, not this particular one as I've destroyed it and turned it into an off road toy. But a factory one. Decent power, reliable, comfortable. Okay MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back