One car only...forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capri50019.jpg

Lxfive001.jpg

25818200020_large.jpg

3626010002_large.jpg

https://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/129450-500-0.jpg?rev=1

Only one? It would have to be comfortable, fun and utilitarian. I'd say this checks all the boxes.

2016-GMC-Sierra-Denali-Ultimate-102-876x535.jpg

Not sure of the future, but my '13 Audi S8 seems to cover many bases
It also has the CTS-V covered on the steet, so to say
Wife's '05 LS-430 might take the long-term crown though

2013 Audi S8
2015 Silverado
2016 Grand Charokee
2001 Z06 Corvette twin turbo auto
1971 Corvette convert BB 4spd
1966 Toronado

Our 2003 Park Ave just turned 155,000 miles. Bought seven years ago at 30,000 miles, and the only non-maintenance items so far are one tie-rod, an egr valve, and climate display (easy fix with a soldering gun).
Not the most exciting thing to drive, but my wife and I love the comfort and reliability. After looking for a year, I found a 2005 Park Ave with only 14,000 miles, five hours drive from us. Brought it home the next day, and now it's our garage queen until our 2003 dies (who know when?). I kick tires on new or newer cars occasionally on the dealer lots, but when I get back in the old Buick I feel right at home. So, old Buicks forever?
Mobil 1 5w-30 6000 mile OCIs, usually about 40% on the OLM.

This has been my solution since 2003, and if I was restricted to just one vehicle forever, it would still be the best solution.

Can carry a tonne, or tow 3 tonnes, dogs in the back or shopping, diesel...all good.

If I had to pick one starting tomorrow, same arrangement, but a Z71 Colorado with canopy and bar.

My 2005 Tacoma Xtra cab (4x4 with V6 & auto) would do everything I'd ever need out of one vehicle. Had the thing since new and still love it.

I'm actually on track to do that. I got my 75 vette when i was 19 and will never sell it. I'd like to transplant one of those gm 572 crate engines and a 4 speed manual with straight cut gears.

The trans am may eventually get a 455 transplant.

I have no interest in driving new cars anymore.

Probably a new 4Runner. Comfortable, room to haul stuff, 4x4 so I can take it off-road, and it can tow a trailer.

To keep forever ? It won't be anything from this century, they won't last forever. If it was a motorcycle, I've already got them - I've had my BMW R65 for 8 years, and I don't think it's going anywhere. I've had my 1974 Moto Guzzi Stornello 160 from new.

For cars, it's a decision I had to make a few years ago, between a 1990 Lada 2104 and a 1990 Mitsubishi Pajero diesel. I kept the Pajero because it had a towbar. Both could be kept running for years, the Lada would get the nod because parts are still in existance.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Your question leaves out the issue of reliability. Do you really want to keep a BMW when it cost $500 for a new battery or a Porsche when is costs $1500 for a battery and an oil change?
If you add reliability into the equation I will keep my Toyota Avalon. 120,000 miles with only oil changes, new tires and one new battery.

I'll stick with the M5 over a Toyota, even if I have to change the rod bearings every 100k.

I currently have the last vehicle I'm going to buy. so it'll have to be welded up and patched as it ages until I retire, in 20 years time.

Like many of us here..as a practical matter I could buy anything I want. I am driving an 08 Forester with 165K miles and a 16 Spark. If I wanted something different I would buy it.

Originally Posted By: Silk
To keep forever ? It won't be anything from this century, they won't last forever. If it was a motorcycle, I've already got them - I've had my BMW R65 for 8 years, and I don't think it's going anywhere. I've had my 1974 Moto Guzzi Stornello 160 from new.

For cars, it's a decision I had to make a few years ago, between a 1990 Lada 2104 and a 1990 Mitsubishi Pajero diesel. I kept the Pajero because it had a towbar. Both could be kept running for years, the Lada would get the nod because parts are still in existance.

I didn't think the Lada was known to be reliable.
27.gif

I saw many Lada Nivas and Lada 1300's while in Europe. Almost had a chance to ride in a 1300 actually, but had to walk about 2 miles in what I considered the middle of nowhere with 2 non English speaking girls. Got stares from the locals that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
If you could only have one car for the rest of your days what would it be?

For me?

CTS-V Wagon.

Stock? this does not sound like you...

Originally Posted By: Silk

Silk, your car parked on the grass, will give here couple of HOA boards the heartatacks....

ford focus wagon...
with some body work and a crate cobra dropped....
it's been done before.

if not one of the new vw golf sportwagens (but not too old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back