Olympic Blackout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Brands that haven't paid millions of dollars to the group behind the upcoming summer Olympics will need to watch their step on Twitter in the coming weeks.

The International Olympic Committee is threatening legal action against any non-sponsor brands that dare to tweet about the games or any of its associated trademarks, according to a letter obtained by ESPN.

Those trademarks include "Olympic," "Olympian" and "Go for the Gold," among a host of other related words and phrases.

Seemingly innocuous terms like "summer," "gold," "games," effort," "victory," "Rio" and "2016" are also off-limits if used in the context of the games, as are the various hashtags for the event — such as #Rio2016 or #TeamUSA" — any reference to Olympic results and all pictures taken at the Olympics, the letter says.

Link

What a commercialized mess. I doubt I'll watch very much if any.

Last edited:
I never really watch sports games, but the Olympics is one thing I enjoy watching. I really feel bad for the athletes through all of this. This committee should be fined/fired for not choosing an appropriate venue for the games.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I never really watch sports games, but the Olympics is one thing I enjoy watching. I really feel bad for the athletes through all of this. This committee should be fined/fired for not choosing an appropriate venue for the games.

This is what happens when the Global Community tries to be "FAIR".

In actuality, there are only a few countries that are even capable successfully hosting the Olympics.

Since my son is REALLY into BMX racing, we'll be watching that event. Maybe nothing else (we don't have TV at our house), but I always loved watching some track and field, especially the 100 meters.

Last edited:
I feel especially bad for the athletes that have to participate in the outdoor water sports. Basically participating in an open cesspool. The IOC is a joke.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

This is what happens when the Global Community tries to be "FAIR".

In actuality, there are only a few countries that are even capable successfully hosting the Olympics.

Since my son is REALLY into BMX racing, we'll be watching that event. Maybe nothing else (we don't have TV at our house), but I always loved watching some track and field, especially the 100 meters.

I love the track events also, use to compete in a few. I actually ordered an antenna for my TV to hopefully catch some of it, as I dont pay for any form of cable. I have TVs... but only internet for youtube/netflix/amazon.

I'll be watching it as much as I can. I just hope the TV coverage is good and covers everyone instead of just focusing on US athletes.

While I enjoy (some) sports, I won't be watching any Olympics because of all the excessive advertising. I've got better things to do.
So....with the Olympics on NBC, how much coverage will the shooting sports get? LOL.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Quote:
Brands that haven't paid millions of dollars to the group behind the upcoming summer Olympics will need to watch their step on Twitter in the coming weeks.

The International Olympic Committee is threatening legal action against any non-sponsor brands that dare to tweet about the games or any of its associated trademarks, according to a letter obtained by ESPN.

Those trademarks include "Olympic," "Olympian" and "Go for the Gold," among a host of other related words and phrases.

Seemingly innocuous terms like "summer," "gold," "games," effort," "victory," "Rio" and "2016" are also off-limits if used in the context of the games, as are the various hashtags for the event — such as #Rio2016 or #TeamUSA" — any reference to Olympic results and all pictures taken at the Olympics, the letter says.

Link

What a commercialized mess. I doubt I'll watch very much if any.

So using the term "Raw Sewage Reality Show" should be okay.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I feel especially bad for the athletes that have to participate in the outdoor water sports. Basically participating in an open cesspool. The IOC is a joke.

At this point, any of them that actually DO it should never be permitted to breed, because they are incurably stupid.

Rio Olympics = :thumbsdown for me ... no appeal whatsoever and each olympics is less and less appealing to me. Why? The hosting city always does the same thing, build venues, housing that will get used for the 2-3 weeks and then pretty much abandoned and rot wasting of millions upon millions of dollars. The hosting cities always try to cover up their homeless/slums and/or push them out so they are out of sight & out of mind to appear utopian.

Why not just hold the olympics in Greece every year in a world class venue where it can be an attraction and used like a hotel for the other 3 years not in service. Total waste the way they do it now, so corrupted and far past the point of what it once was.

I watched the US v NZ and France v Colunbia soccer games yesterday and hopefully the stadium was empty because they are pre Opening Ceremony games.

I actually support the LA 2022 I think it is bid. They already have most of the venues from 1984 and can use USC or UCLA for the athlete housing.

The 1984 LA Olympics used the USC stadium (built in 1923), which is still used by USC and (temporarily) the NFL so it is ready for action. Just need to fire up the torch.

Last edited:
The Coliseum can easily handle the track and field. There are plenty of universities with aquatic facilities. I think they did rowing in Ventura or Santa Barbara. You have Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium, USC, Pepperdine, and UCLA for baseball and softball. The Galaxy stadium, Rose Bowl, even the stadium the Chargers play in for soccer. They are building a new stadium for the Rams that could hold soccer no problem most likely.

The only thing that would be tough is if the push to add T20 cricket to the Olympics succeeds. They did a drop in pitch at Dodger Stadium, and I think there is a non ICC approved pitch in the LA area. The only ICC approved pitch I know of in the US is Lauderdale in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back