OLM Or Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I had my oil changed was at the dealership in April (4 months ago). Since then, I have put about 1,000-2,000 miles on my car. The oil life still says about 80%. I should also mention, I do not know what type of oil was put in my car. My wife had the oil change done. I also have a bottle of PP 0W-20 in my garage with a Purlator filter waiting to go in the car. My question is this, when should I change the oil? Should I wait for the OLM to tell me I need a change? In other words, should I change the oil when the allotted miles are up? Or, should I change it after a specific amount of time. I hesitate letting oil run in the car for more than 6 months, especially since it gets pretty cold in Wisconsin. This oil was changed right after winter in April, so its not gotten that harsh winter yet. One more relevant fact, I drive my car virtually every day. And I drive 4-10 miles per day.

What car?

Driving only 4 miles on a cold winter day in WI will not get the oil up to temp long enough to burn off moisture. But if you take it out on a longer run once in a while, that should help. If you can do that, then I'd just stick to annual oil changes unless the OLM tells you to do it before then.

Sorry, its an 09 Honda Civic Hybrid. I live about 2 miles from work and my wife drops me off some days(we only have the one car). So it gets at least 2 short trips per day. She also runs errands through the day occasionally. About once a month or so, we take a longer trip either for recreation, or to pick someone up from the airport.

only thing I would be concerned with is, what oil was used? some jiffy lube place might just be using 10w30 for all vehicles. If a good 0w20 synthetic were used, just check the fluid levels and keep driving.

Thats the only thing that concerns me too. When we bought the car, we got offered "5 years" of free oil changes. We took it in every time the the time came up. We would only put 2000 miles or so on the car before it was time (as in, the time interval was up) to change the oil. We ran out of changes a few months early, so I am going to change the oil myself this time. I have a fumoto valve that I will be putting in the car to make the changes less messy. half of the reason I want to change the oil is to put that valve on. But I also dont want to waste good oil (any more than changing the oil every 2000 miles did. But that was different, we were getting that done for free)

I'd pick a good oil and send out a sample after a year. If the results supported, I'd then follow the MM from there on out.

Originally Posted By: ericgcollyer
Sorry, its an 09 Honda Civic Hybrid. I live about 2 miles from work and my wife drops me off some days(we only have the one car). So it gets at least 2 short trips per day. She also runs errands through the day occasionally. About once a month or so, we take a longer trip either for recreation, or to pick someone up from the airport.

Do a severe service OCI. Or if you use synthetic oil no more than 5000 miles/1 year.

The last time I had my oil changed was at the dealership in April (4 months ago). Since then, I have put about 1,000-2,000 miles on my car. The oil life still says about 80%. I should also mention, I do not know what type of oil was put in my car. My wife had the oil change done. I also have a bottle of PP 0W-20 in my garage with a Purlator filter waiting to go in the car. My question is this, when should I change the oil? Should I wait for the OLM to tell me I need a change? In other words, should I change the oil when the allotted miles are up? Or, should I change it after a specific amount of time. I hesitate letting oil run in the car for more than 6 months, especially since it gets pretty cold in Wisconsin. This oil was changed right after winter in April, so its not gotten that harsh winter yet. One more relevant fact, I drive my car virtually every day. And I drive 4-10 miles per day.

Just call the dealership and ask what oil they used.

Just follow the OLM. It is already taking into consideration your short trips so it knows what it's doing. I always follow the OLM and it varies from 5900 - 7800 miles per OCI as in the summertime I do tow for 1 week (camping vacation).

Cant you take the car on a quick hwy run once a week? Get oil to operating and yeah I think a once a year oil change would work just fine.

I would do 6 month. I also do short trips and only put 6k or less a year. I live in Louisiana so weather varies greatly. I run Valvoline high mileage now that I got disabled so I go to Goodyear since that is the oil they use and get tires rotated each time for a total of 38.00. When I changed my own oil I would use Synthetic but at 8 months it would mysteriously lose a quart.

ericgcollyer,

I always use my OLM no matter waht. That's because I know I'll have an OCI service at least once per year. If you put low miles on your car regardless of the OLM says then go ahead and change the oil out towards the end of the year or before the cold season sets in.

Durango

Some key points that some are missing here.

1. It is a hybrid so oil temps will vary no matter what. The engine will shut off at every stop most of the time.

2. Read the owners manual but I already did that for you. It says either follow the OLM or change it yearly. If the dealer used 0w20 which a Honda dealer would then you are in great shape. If not they likely used 5w20 which is perfectly fine as well. You certainly can change it now and install the valve just make sure to reset the monitor.

3. The OLM takes very cold temps & short drive into account. This type of situation will make counter decrease a lot quicker. Your car is a hybrid so it will keep the engine running longer in cold weather anyway. It needs to warm on the traction battery and the engine itself for cabin heat.

4. Drive more, worry less. As long as you follow the OLM or manual the car will be fine.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/NC0909/NC0909OM.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back