Oldest unopened oil in your stash?

Gotta be worth something.

I kick myself when I think back to the 90's and when I worked at a garage. People would leave old cans like this, or Pennzoil ATF. I'm sure we'd have quite a man cave decor right now if we hadn't cracked it all and dumped it in the dirty oil tanks....
Yeah hindsight is 20/20 in many ways.
I dont really have a stash of oil. My brother in law and I bought a house to flip and I found a bunch of this in the garage. One case of it wasn't even opened lol

Yeah hindsight is 20/20 in many ways.
I dont really have a stash of oil. My brother in law and I bought a house to flip and I found a bunch of this in the garage. One case of it wasn't even opened lol
I do have a stash but try to use up the oldest stock first, so my oldest is maybe Oct. 2018 (Shell RTG 0W-20 going in this winter), but I'll check today...

I certainly wouldn't use anything in a can, even if it would be fine is some applications like older power equipment...

That's not my experience on either point. I'm a "hoarder" and got all this for basically free (and the Carquest fluids were 100% free), all the WM stuff was about 10cent/qt, and now I'm up probably a grand on top of it having sold less than 5% of it. Already paid for every drop of oil I've ever purchased in my life, and will ever need for the rest of my days. I'll sell 95% of it, make a nice return, and have enough oil to last until I'm elderly.

Motor oil will last probably 20 years easily if stored correctly. Maybe 30. But cars requirements probably change by then. And I'll be at the end of my life anyway so it won't matter.

Before this big score I was using up SJ rated motor oil in my recent few oil changes to use it up. The SJ was implemented in 1997 and surpassed in 2001. So the oil I used this summer was over 20 years old, and looked and performed just fine. Of the 20-25 qts. I used, I poured each out into a clear jug before use to inspect for any visual separation or contamination. I had to throw 1 out for water contamination. That represents a 5% failure in a 20 year storage situation. I never had a single one leak in storage either. So, not bad, not bad at all.
View attachment 73976View attachment 73977View attachment 73978View attachment 73979View attachment 73980View attachment 73981View attachment 73982View attachment 73983
You have issues!!!! Lol

I have a quart of older Castrol Syntec 5W50 that I am going to throw in the Dodge in signature with a some Castrol Ultra Clean 5W30 next oil change. Bought the Syntec for 2 bucks a quart years ago.

I have a two year old box of Havoline Pro-DS that will be used the end of this month. Also have a case of 12 quarts of Kirkland Oil so good for a couple of more years since I just do yearly changes.

There is no need for that kind of hoarding.

Get mental help soon.
You have issues!!!! Lol

Remember about a year ago when hospitals were criticized for having short-sighted inventory and out of critical supplies like gloves and masks? So do I. Remember about a year ago when people were standing in long (bread) lines because of their own short sighted buying habits of only buying what they immediately needed of staples like food, toilet paper, basic medical supplies? Yep, so do I. So who is the irrational person?
If you know the first thing about capitalism, you buy low and use or sell at higher prices. Did you miss the part where all my oil I've ever used and ever will use, is now paid for and I'm turning a large profit selling the rest?

Back on track, critical staples that do not go bad, like motor oil, should be stocked for your foreseeable future need/use.

Oldest? A quart of Chevron Delo 400 15W-40, rated CH-4. I figure it's about 12 years old.

It's been in my Alaska attached garage (warm) that ranges between 38 degrees in the dead of winter, to about 80 degrees max during the worst day of summer.

It'll be used in my push mower next summer -- perhaps over two summers.

Last edited:
Remember about a year ago when hospitals were criticized for having short-sighted inventory and out of critical supplies like gloves and masks? So do I. Remember about a year ago when people were standing in long (bread) lines because of their own short sighted buying habits of only buying what they immediately needed of staples like food, toilet paper, basic medical supplies? Yep, so do I. So who is the irrational person?
If you know the first thing about capitalism, you buy low and use or sell at higher prices. Did you miss the part where all my oil I've ever used and ever will use, is now paid for and I'm turning a large profit selling the rest?

Back on track, critical staples that do not go bad, like motor oil, should be stocked for your foreseeable future need/use.
Relax, I was only joking and thats why I said LOL at the end of my statement.

Oldest? A quart of Chevron Delo 400 15W-40, rated CH-4. I figure it's about 12 years old.

It's been in my Alaska attached garage (warm) that ranges between 38 degrees in the dead of winter, to about 80 degrees max during the worst day of summer.

It'll be used in my push mower next summer -- perhaps over two summers.
If it's CH-4 and not CI-4, I'd think it's closer to 20 years old.

I have a half a quart of Edge black bottle 5w30 (API SP / D1G2) for any top offs which we normally don't need. I know I'm out of control, I'm working on it.

Part of the reason I don't keep a stash is nothing I own burns any appreciable amount. I'm also always chasing newer standards, like waiting for D1G3 to hit the shelves. I do keep a filter ahead in stock however, so I can do a change whenever.

And, yet, today I went to Costco and they had limits of 1 package of TP per person and still no toilet paper, and this is what the oil shelves look like at Walmart, with thousands of supply chain problems around the globe to deliver goods.

And as many here have attested, we've all used 20 year old oil without issues.

You cannot look at these Walmart shelves and feel optimistic that you'll just "go get oil" when you need it. I took these photos recently at Walmarts locally. I'd estimate, 80% empty.

Americans are incredibly spoiled with our Just In Time supply chains and people not making contingent plans. You might wake up and find you cannot "just go buy it." Hence, the hoarding of goods and if you can do it smartly as I have, it's free with just a bit of labor and storage.

View attachment 73986View attachment 73987View attachment 73988
That’s not remotely close to 80% empty

The oldest, unopened oil in my stash is 3 quarts of ESP 0W-30 that I purchased in June or July at a good price with the intent of mixing it with 2 quarts of M1 EP 0W-20 on my next or subsequent oil change.

My stash also contains 2 jugs of M1 EP 5W-30 that I picked up using the Mobil rebate. Based on how I use/change my oil, I've got another 18-mos or so of supply. During that time I'm sure to find another jug or two of M1 at a good price.

The idea of accumulating large quantities of oil makes no sense to me. Nor does the idea of using oil older than SN in my current vehicle. I'd rather use fairly current spec oil from a recently acquired container.

Hate to break it to you but AutoZone and Advance Auto do clearances. I could care less how long “oils shelf life is”. I still have late 80’s Amoco and Ames brand motor oil still sealed to use. Rebates are a pain also as Astro14 said. If you want to pay full price for oil: go right ahead. I now have over 550 quarts of oil and selling some today 😊
Would you please post some pictures of the Ames oil? I loved the one we had close to us. A very nice regional discount store chain that bought out Zayre's trying to keep up with Walmart. It was like trying to swallow an elephant, and took them down.

That’s not remotely close to 80% empty

Well, first there's big cavaties with NO oil, representing maybe 25% of the shelving is empty. That alone is 75% full. The rest, they have the capacity to stack 5 deep. But most were 1, 2, or 3 deep. My estimation was about 80% empty. 1/5 = 20% full. 2/5= 40% full. As a percent, few appeared to be 3, 4, or 5 deep. Stores "front" product to give the illusion of being full, when there is much empty space behind the fronted product.

You might have greater math powers than me.

Last edited:
If it's CH-4 and not CI-4, I'd think it's closer to 20 years old.
It could be! The last diesel truck I had was a 1987 F-250 Lariat with a naturally-aspirated International 6.9L. It was a slow, but capable, beast.

I could have drug a quart around the country a few times since then!

Last edited:
Back